Critics and audiences agree it's the #1 movie of the year

WickedLiquid

Regular
I'm talking of course about Jack Ryan but couldn't fit it all into the title.

But I don't want to actually talk about Jack Ryan, take it to the movie thread. I saw a TV spot for this movie and they're claiming it's the #1 must-see movie of 2014. But is that really fair? It's only January for frig sake.

Anyways... What else gets the unfair treatment? What have you seen this January that is your favorite of the year... Thus far...

It doesn't have to just be movies. You can list TV, books, music, whatever. And it doesn't have to be released in January, as long as it was new to you this year you can name it as the best thing of 2014!!!!!! ...so far.

I read a book on tea this year and it's the best book I've read in 2014!!!! ...so far
I played Bioshock Infinite for the first time and it's the best game I played in 2014!!! ...so far
I saw I, Frankenstein and it's the best movie of 2014!!!! ...so far

It's the first movie I've seen in theaters. So by default it gets best movie and worst movie of the year. The bar is set waaaaaaaay low to top that stinker.

You should rarely go see any movie released in January. To Hollywood, January is the dumping ground for all the shit they know is terrible, but still have to put out because they wanted to at least make some money back. This is because less people go to the movies this time of the year than any other time. Also, Oscar fatigue. They usually try to release their best movies closer to the actual vote, because then they'll be fresh in the minds of Academy Voters. The start of the year is as far away from that as you can get.

Every once and a while you'll get something like Jack Ryan that isn't completely terrible and was pushed back for other reasons. Or something like Monuments Men, which is coming out in a couple of weeks only because they needed more time to finish it.

Otherwise, it is probably garbage, especially if January/February was the original release.

I'm pretty sure when White Chicks was released nobody said it was the best movie of the year.

The only new movies I've seen in 2014 are...

-The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug
-Frozen
-Saving Mr. Banks

I've watched some older movies this year, but they don't really count because they didn't come out in 2014. I'll list them regardless.

-Commando
-Predator
-Stay Hungry
-The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
-The Heat
-(half of) The Lone Ranger

It's way too early to say but my favourite film of the year so far is easily The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod