classic reviews

Icepick

Rookie
I know it's more than likley been asked a hundred and so times, but would it be possible to open up the ability to review classic games, i'm talking bionic commando, earth bound kind of deal here, I just feel it would be an interesting feature

our games database doesn't go back that far, but maybe it will in the future. on the other hand, capcom is remaking bionic commando for you.

I'm not sure that classic reviews are such a good idea. I mean, it's nearly impossible to play most of those games with today's mindset; you play them mostly because of personal nostalgia, or because you sort of want to know the history of the kind of genre and/or brand you're currently infatuated with. Only very rarely - but I admit it does happen - will a game transcend history and stay playable in its own right for more than a decade.

But then again, that's just how I see it. If you think I'm just being grumpy, feel free to think just that. And yes, I know that I have a review up of the PS1 ports of FF IV, V, and VI. It's been a while since I wrote that, and I've changed my mind since then. Heck, I didn't feel like writing a review for the first Jak game because I got it so much later, I was playing with a bit of nostalgia/history factor in mind. I mean, the difference in platform refinement between that and Jak 3 is just that big, and those two games were made for the same console!

i dunno, i played doom 1 a couple months ago because i was bored and found some it still suprisingly hard and fun. i think if the right person did it it would be fine. i still play super mario and thats not a 'in its own right' game either.---and speaking of older games, ive played all of the silent hills xcept for 1 and 2. would it still be worth it?? id llike to think their still not bad so i could justify buying them.

Old games!? Silent Hill!? You are aware that the fourth installment in that series came out in 2004, right? And that Silent Hill Origins just came out this year?

In all honesty, the motivation behind reviewing a classic game is really to expound on the significance of the game and to justify the nostalgia, reasonable or not, of playing that game. If that's the case, I don't think a review in context of today would make much sense. Any review should compare the game at hand within today's market, as if it was being released today and you were asked whether you should play that game or some other new release. However, I am into a "hall of fame" approach or editorials on "classic games".

masterchris said:
Old games!? Silent Hill!? You are aware that the fourth installment in that series came out in 2004, right? And that Silent Hill Origins just came out this year?

You don't insult Silent Hill around Chris. He goes into Berserker mode.

Nick_Tan said:
However, I am into a "hall of fame" approach or editorials on "classic games".

So like a select few of games from yesteryear that should gain reviews because of their significance?

I am down for that.

Crazy as this may sound, some company called Nintendos claims to be releasing old vidja games for $5+ to a mass market at this very moment!

Nostalgia and qualms about comparative quality aside, there's certainly some merit in advising folks on whether such re-releases are worth their time, money and oh so precious Wii flash memory.

In that context, retro-reviews are a grand idea. Were it just an opportunity for each user to expound on why some POS platformer they played as a 10 year old is "teh koolst gam evar" (current user reviews, much?), it'd be a different story.

The only problem I can see with allowing user reviews on classic games, is the number of idiots who will write things like "graphics suck, sound sucks" while reviewing an Intellivision game, which is utter bullshit because everybody knows Intellivision's graphics kicked the Atari 2600's ass.

masterchris said:
The only problem I can see with allowing user reviews on classic games, is the number of idiots who will write things like "graphics suck, sound sucks" while reviewing an Intellivision game, which is utter bullshit because everybody knows Intellivision's graphics kicked the Atari 2600's ass.

While that's undoubtedly true, I can't imagine anything, anything, that would give rise to worse user reviews than we're already seeing.

What about restricting it to only a handful of people who have

A) actually played the systems before.

B) write decent reviews.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle