Cheat codes :D

Krowsnose

Rookie
It's so weird to hear someone looking up cheats for games these days mainly because it brings up memories from my child hood. I remember around the time I got my n64 was when I realized such a thing existed. I used to beat my dick over some cheat codes back then. I remember renting games from block buster and looking up the cheats for it before I even played it. Then around age 10 or so I said fuck it and started playing through games without them and could appreciate games for what they were.

Now the only time I hear something about cheat codes it's usually coming from a young kid's mouth. What is it about being young and wanting to take all the challenging aspects out of your games? I remember being intimidated by certain games but using cheats excessively takes almost all of the fun out.

I suppose back then you're so fascinated by what you can do in a game that you want to be able to explore and manipulate it to the fullest and beating the level becomes a secondary goal.

So what are your thoughts on cheating and do you still do it?

The only game I ever used cheat codes in excess is in the GTA games, but those are begging for you to do that. Otherwise, I hardly use cheats unless I just feel like fooling around.

Yeah good topic. I think a lot it has to to with the type of game, or the time it was released. Super Nintendo and Nintendo games were definitely harder to beat, but because they were harder to play.
With 3D control comes all kinds of exploits to outrun your enemy, where in a Nintendo game, had you walked into the enemy, you could die.

I remember Resident Evil being one of the first games where I realized that 3D gaming would make video game playing easier. Zipping by zombies just made sense...saving ammo, dodging fights, but it also made it incredibly easier. Try doing that in 2D.

But yeah, there's something special about having the newest cheat codes when you were a kid.

Though I think in games like GTA a cheat adds to the replay value more than it could take away. Again, a product of a 3D gameplay environment.

Nice topic dude.

I stopped using cheats when games started coming out with save points. When I look back now, it boggles my mind that we once were expected to beat games in a single sitting...without dying more than your alotted 9 times or so (3 lives, 3 continues).

I remember playing through a ton of games with cheats on. Especially the invulnerability ones. There was something that fascinated me about being able to run through levels with the inability to ever die, while never taking cover or taking anything strategically.
There were some games that I bought where when I got home I would go online and if they didn't have any codes at all I would usually not play them for a very long time.

I've noticed today's form of cheating is the all-known "Easy" mode. It essentially takes all the fun out of a game without even forcing you to do some weird button combination. My younger cousin used to play just that way until I explained to him that just because you beat the game doesn't mean you've BEAT the game.

After that day he never touched Easy again.
Chris_Crime said:
Nice topic dude

I only use cheats after I beat a level/game, and I do it just for fun. Frankly, I feel video games need more passwords/stage select cheats.

UghRochester said:
Krowsnose said:
I used to beat my dick over some cheat codes back then.
Sig
And yeah, cheats are for kids, faqs/strategies are for adults.
I know right, I used to use cheats, but lately I have had my nose all in the FAQ's, and Strategies, I must be growing up. I've even been writing my own FAQ's, and Cheats lately.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle