You cheated, you cheating cheater

used44

Forum Moderator
Staff member
How do you feel about cheating in games?

Is it cheating only if you are cheating in a multiplayer or competitive game? What about playing in single player? Is looking at GameFAQs or whatever considered cheating? What if you're just really stuck.

Do cheat codes still exist? Most of those were humorous at least. Those are the ones I remember most.

Did you ever call the Nintendo Power Line?

Does cheating in games make you feel guilty?

I've finished Braid, but Ill probably have to give the internet the credit for it. It didn't feel good, made me feel like a dumbass. But it was either that, or mind-numbing rage and a broken console.

I know I don't use cheats anymore, because it blocks the achievements/trophies. I rarely used cheats back in the day unless I wanted to actually finish the game. Contra was the first game I discovered The Konami Code. GTA I only use cheats when I unlocked all the areas and just want to have fun. I don't use strategy guides. Every now and then I will go to YouTube to figure out something, but that's rarely.

This is one of the main reasons i game on PC.
Remember that planet scanning bullshit in Mass Effect 2?
I don't. Tried it for 10 minutes, said 'fuck it' and then went and downloaded a trainer.

Also, more recently, i hacked my save of Forza 4. I was sick of grinding just so i could afford to dick around in some downhill drifting.

Single player cheats are perfectly aight.

used44 said:
How do you feel about cheating in games?

Is it cheating only if you are cheating in a multiplayer or competitive game? What about playing in single player? Is looking at GameFAQs or whatever considered cheating? What if you're just really stuck.

I don't know. My basic thought is this, why get the game if your going to cheat through the levels or get a code to take you from point a to point b. Going through the game is part of the game, if you wanted cinema/cut scenes you can find them online and save yourself $60. Is using a strategy guide cheat? If yes, then I'm guilty too. If no, then I don't. I only use those guides in fantasy games so I can get cool stuff to help on missions/levels so I don't consider it cheating. In multiplayer, its not called cheating, its called winning. If you can find a way to win on a multiplayer game/match - do it. In single player if you use it for stuff like Riot Modes, or cool gear on free roam type stuff then no, totally not cheating. I did have a game genie, and it was kinda cool, but use it to advance in the game in anyway and yes You're a cheater. I used to play Icewind Dale 2 online and when someone had a cool equiped character, I would save it and use it later. My only "cheating" experience.

used44 said:
Do cheat codes still exist? Most of those were humorous at least. Those are the ones I remember most.
Haven't used one in a while. Don't go looking for them either.

used44 said:
Did you ever call the Nintendo Power Line?
Jesus, No! At that point I would've either thrown the console across the room or admitted that my parents were right, games are unhealthy.

used44 said:
Does cheating in games make you feel guilty?
No, but I don't really use.

Using your resources isn't cheating, but anything that gives you an unfair advantage of an opponent is cheating. That being said, I agree that cheats should disable trophies

Multiplayer games no, I prefer fairness which also means I won't play games that allow you to spend money for the best gear or advantages.

In a single player game if its my second playthrough I will sometimes use cheats or I will just stick it on easy(I usually replay for story). Free online strategy guides I only use when the game wont give me a clear fucking indicator of where to go or how to leave a area.(This has gotten a lot better in recent years)

If its a game like Mass Effect 2 that want you to grind for resources I will just cheat. Im here for story not a grind.

Games like deadspace3 tried to get you to pay real money to cheat in a single player game. So I hacked it myself and gave myself the resources. FUCK YOU EA.

I dont give a fuck about achievements or trophies, They are a waste of time, distraction, most of the time added in as a "special feature". I would rather the devs focus more on the game then putting in achievments.
I get all my enjoyment from games in the experience of playing them not whacking my Epeen over a virtual trophy.

I'd vote Reward. I kinda get annoyed when games make it in such a way that you can't get all your abilities unless you play new game plus.

If a game is Free-to-Play, it should be Free-to-Play. Paying to avoid grinding is low, like scraping the bottom of the internet low..

Most times after I've played through a game, if I want to go back and do stuff I didn't do or try out a different character or whatever, I will use cheats if they are there so I can skip all the tedious bullshit and get straight to what I want to see or do what I want to do. As a general rule though, I won't do that until I've finished the game legit.

There have been times where I go to game FAQ's as a last resort cause I was stuck on something or I needed a list of for crafting or something, but I don't consider that "cheating" cheating like putting on god mode or infinite lives or stuff like that.

What bothers me more is when the computer cheats. I hate when that bastard does that!

I used to use Gameshark when I was younger. That changed when I turned, like, 14 or so and I realized it was more fun to be actually good at video games than to blast everything ever.

For the most part, at least.

When I was a little kid, I used to cheat every time I got my hands on a game. I was one impatient kid. IDKFA! (all those years and I still remember it xD) But never in a multiplayer game. Multiplayer cheating felt and still feels just plain wrong. It's like using nukes in a real war. It's just wrong. Pansies cheat online.

Eventually as I got better and better at games I stopped cheating altogether. I haven't cheated for what, 10 years? No, longer than that.

But what i remember from my cheatinghood was the really fun cheats that gave you awesome stuff. The racing car in Age of Empires. Or the different extra cars in Need For Speed 2, like a log with wheels or school bus or a supercar with jet engine. Or the cheats that made character heads bigger. Something that you could laugh at with your friends, you know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod