Camping in FPS's: good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Lord_Fornelius, Oct 12, 2007.

?

Do you aprove of "camping" in FPS's ?

1. Yes, it is a clever way for killing enemies

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, it is for a bunch of cheap bastards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lord_Fornelius

There's this whole debate in the FPS community, about whether "camping" (sniping in a fixed position) is clever, or cheap? What do you guys think?

2. Kool_Aide_Man

Kool_Aide_Man Rookie

If they do it the entire game, then yes it's cheap, but if they actually switch up their strategies to fit what's going on in the game, then it's a legitimate technique.

3. TheNesMan

TheNesMan Rookie

Fool me once, shame on you; Fool me twice, shame on me. If you can't catch on to someone camping or can't adjust your gameplan accordingly, it's your own fault.

4. Tyrranis

Tyrranis Veteran

It's OK, in moderation.

Still, I think the major problem people have is defining what is 'camping' and what is 'defending' in team-based gametypes.

5. masterchris

masterchris Rookie

6. Lord_Fornelius

I approve of "camping". I hate it when a bunch of players who obtain many losses by a sniper and become upset, and then they try to shift the battle with insults and accusations, rather than skill. Besides, the definition of "camping" has nothing to do with sniping in a fixed location (as pointed out by masterchris)

7. SkylerOcon

SkylerOcon Rookie

People make way to big a deal out of camping. It's just another way to get kills.

Sure, if thats all you can do in a FPS then you really suck at that game.

As pretty much everyone else said:

It's just like those health people say about chocolate. Camping is ok in moderation.

8. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

camping. part of the game. dont run around blind corners without jumping/nading. stop crying.

9. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

NesMan nailed it. One thing I do despise however, is spawn point camping. Blech.

10. JCD

JCD Rookie

^Indeed. The only problem any intelligent member of the FPS community will have with campers is the ones who Spawn camp. As long as each player has a chance to fight back, I see no problem with it.

11. DH_Ninja

DH_Ninja Rookie

yea, other day, i hid my self very well with a gravity hammer, helped me get the overkill achievement. Only prob is spawn camping, thats about it.

12. crazycracker22

Only camping im not down with is when 2+ people camp in the caves with shotguns in snowbound

13. grandmagoodtimes

Agreed.

14. studentdesktop

Yes as is said spawn camping is the only one that you can say is wrong or indecent.
    The others are a tactic, spawn camping however is just a cheap trick for people who can't play for shit!

-Iahnochdahn The Ruthless

15. SkaRobot

SkaRobot Rookie

remember people playing halo1 (not myself, of course) spawn camping in bloodgulch with the fucking scorpions? hella lotta frustration.

camping is a suckass strategy and will make other players angry. but people are allowed to do it, they dont break any rules, so my final verdict is eh. try not to do it so much.

16. damo_ds

damo_ds Rookie

Yeah "camping" gets on my nerves sometimes but it makes it all the more satisfying when you sneak up on the "camper" and blow him to hell. It's not so annoying when it's in teams, since your entire team can make an organized assault on the lowlife scum. To be honest, I don't like it... it's a cheap, tactic-less, no-brainer, unintelligent way to get kills. So there.

17. studentdesktop

Exactly, now if i may expand on my previous answer, spawn camping is the worst, then further up, camping is allowable to some extent.
    Let's say, I'm in a sniping spot with a view of the whole map, after a while I would move to be fair, not just camp in one spot all the time.
    That, really annoys people, (even me at some points :D ).
    But all in all, camping is acceptable if you do not do it much and if you use it a part of a tactical MOVE!.
    And in the way that it is, it is as damo_ds said: a cheap, tactic-less, no-brainer, unintelligent way to get kills.

18. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I don't see a problem with it, because we all do it at some point.

As a sniper type fighter, I usually have to camp to take out some foes in the long run. I don't like camping spawn points, I prefer them to be long range or hidden areas, which is a fair tactic that is used in real military.

This is called gaining any advantage as you possibly can. While I think the spawn camping is wrong, camping from long range, in corners, platforms, etc are fair game, because thats what a real commando soldier would do, use the terrain to their advantage.

19. AcidTrip

AcidTrip Rookie

Why would anyone have a problem with a sniper? Oh, right, you never see it coming.

If you're playing CTF or Capture Point (referring to TF 2 here), I don't see the problem with setting up objects like Sentry Guns or even planting a sniper in a good, defensive position. That's the whole point of the sniper.

As for spawn-camping, that's an entirely different matter. It should be banned. Completely.

20. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

LinksO and AcidTrip are right on. There's nothing tactic-less or unintelligent about finding a nice defensive position and securing it. Sounds like you guys are playing your FPSs without tactics.