A Serbian Film

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Dec 1, 2010.

1. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Think Hostel, Audition or Inside are some of the most disturbing, hard to watch films? (If you think Audition is, please tell me it's because of how horribly boring it is.) Think again.

There's movies like Funny Games that are hard to watch because of the psychological effect the horrific ordeals place on the main characters - With it's realistic dialogue, realistic scenario, Funny Games is a well done horror film that is both a "torture" flick that isn't exploitative and manages to remain intense, with minimal gore. It's psychologicial torture more than anything and it works. It was also one of the harder films to watch.

This isn't Funny Games though. Enter "A Serbian Film". The film banned in the most countries in the last few years. It's the most heavily censored film in 16 years by the British Board of Film and the film that if you watch the entire thing and *enjoy* it, I don't think I'd want you over for tea.

Here's the plot description, lifted from the Netflix description page for the film:

From what I've gathered, the first half is set up extremely well, building tension with minimal gore and horror. The protagonist agrees to do a film knowing little information, but more is slowly revealed and piece by piece the tension builds knowing something bad is going to happen. What happens? Do what I did to find out - Read the wikipedia page. I was going to watch this one until I read the wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Serbian_Film

2. schimmel

schimmel Rookie

I did just read the description on the Wikipedia page. As crazy as the movie sounds I want to give it a chance just to see how bad it really is. People can play something up over and over but you never know until you see it

3. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Isohunt has a torrent up for it. Not sure if it's a cut version or not.

4. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Ugh... wtf man?

Last year it was The Human Centipede, now it's this?

Why do filmmakers go to such lengths to make the most disturbing movies ever? Haven't they heard the saying "just because you can doesn't mean you should"?

5. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

"The Human Centipede", I heard, wasn't really that bad. It was just a lot of hype. I have it on my instant watch on Netflix.

I prefer horror like "Funny Games", or supernatural horror these days. The slasher genre is a little thin. Although "Severence" and "Behind the Mask" were good examples of decent slasher films to have come out recently. I really want to see Lars Von Tiers "Antichrist".

6. madster111

madster111 Rookie

I saw this a couple months back.

Didn't really see why it's meant to be so bad.
    Then i realized how badly 4chan has fucked me up.

7. Wes

Wes Rookie

Dude, that's effed up man...

I'll pass.