2010 Winter Olympics

Okay, you guys.

First of all, we are not trashing hockey. By saying we care little for it does not mean that we dislike it. I used to like hockey when I lived in Colorado, granted that was when we still had Forsberg, Sakic, and Roy. Although I don't care for it now, that doesn't mean I dislike it. I don't think anybody in the States really doesn't like hockey.

Furthermore, I know you are ecstatic about winning the gold medal in hockey, Canada, but wasn't that expected? I mean, the US stereotype for Canadians is that they do nothing but say "eh", ice fish, make maple syrup and play hockey. The fact that Canada won the gold in hockey, which is the country's most popular sport, is not a surprise. In fact, I had no doubts that America would not beat Canada, simply because, like you all were saying, most Americans do not care about hockey. Take that how you will, it may offend some of you (i'm not sure why it would) but it is true.

This isn't 4Chan. Saying we don't like hockey is not trolling, and neither should it be offensive. One gold medal is of little consequence to the entire Olympic procession, and to the States it wasn't a huge loss, because there are far more hockey fans in Canada than there are stateside.

So bottom line, yes, we are soulless Americunts, but that doesn't change the fact that you won the gold medal. Yes, be proud of that. But don't expect to not get any flak from us after the massive celebration that took place after you guys won a gold medal in a sport that most of our country cares little about.

Trippysmurf said:
There were a lot of winners this Olympics, not just whoever scored that goal in overtime.

This sums it up nicely. The Olympics are not about who won hockey or who had the most medals but about nations coming together in healthy competition.

I am happy to congratulate the American team because they performed wonderfully, as the bountiful harvest of medals shows. There is lots of talent in the States, no question.

As for us Canucks, these games were an excuse for us to have some national pride; it seldom shows. The gold count gave the whole country permission to boast how good we feel to be Canadian.

As for the hockey game, for anyone interested (a minority in the US, a majority in Canada) it was wonderful to watch. The US team played exceptionally and could have easily snatched the gold because they were giving a gold medal effort. We had to win it though, national pride was on the line. I would be happy to see the American team win hockey gold in any other Olympics, just not in our house.

I've never met a Canadian who wasn't fiercely patriotic, and I never bought into the notion that Canada was more morally just than any other country. You can find assholes anywhere. Especially when given the chance... at 4 year intervals - Hiyoooo!
This thread is proof enough.

BUT YOU WON YOU BEAT AMERICA AT WINTER OLYMPICS AMERICA WASNT SUPPOSED TO DO WELL BUT YOU DID IT YOU ARE BETTER
congrats

Now continue sending your best and brightest to our country so they can actually make something of themselves. Including your precious hockey talents, but maybe that's a redundant statement :twisted:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!

I would certainly agree that Canadians are patriotic but we seem to be uncomfortable in large displays of it.

Canadian love their country with equal vigor as Americans. look at it this way, Canada and America are best friends that like to take pot shots at each other. thats how good friends act.

I know, we joke about each other and at the end of the day we're still friends. I have a sense of humour, I just didn't understand why it had to be repeated that americans (who probably live in states where it doesn't snow) don't care about hockey. I mean, this is a thread about the olympics and obviously hockey is going to be the main topic since it's the last event. I wasn't looking for any praise, I just figure if you don't care why continue to argue? It comes across more as being a sore loser who is trolling to get a rise out of people. But I know GR isn't 4chan or some other horrendous site. So cheers!

StalfrosCC said:
Green_Lantern said:
Wouldn't it only be fair if Canada had to beat the US twice to win the gold since the US beat Canada once too?

Seems like it to me...
US got a bye so Canada had to win to get in that game.

NES, who is crying... the US cared about Hockey for aboot 3 hours today. We have Baseball starting in a few days!
I was referring to parise and about half the american team who so badly wanted to cry. And lol baseball, lol.

WickedLiquid said:
I just didn't understand why it had to be repeated that americans (who probably live in states where it doesn't snow) don't care about hockey.

You hit it on the nose there. Now beach volleyball, that's a sport! [/sarcasm]

WickedLiquid said:
I mean, this is a thread about the olympics and obviously hockey is going to be the main topic since it's the last event. I wasn't looking for any praise, I just figure if you don't care why continue to argue? It comes across more as being a sore loser who is trolling to get a rise out of people. But I know GR isn't 4chan or some other horrendous site. So cheers!

No, you're not getting it. We're trying to say that the Winter Olympics IS MORE than just hockey. Yes, it was the last game, but they weren't the only game, and shouldn't be the only main topic. I have consistently tried to get you to mention ONE other sport that Canada excelled in, and even listed numerous examples of their impressive Gold medals (see that, I'm showing respect to all the hard working Canadian athletes). My issue is that you've turned Hockey into the "end all be all" of the Olympics and many Canadians are doing the same and coming off as sore winners.

I get that Hockey is your national sport. I understand that you should be overjoyed that your team won Gold. I'm just saying, I would even appreciate it if you rubbed the other 13 Gold medals in our faces.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod