2010 Winter Olympics

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by WickedLiquid, Feb 12, 2010.

1. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Anyone watching the opening ceremony? Anyone interested at all? :p

I always love watching all the countries introduce themselves. When Jamaica came out I was expecting to see the Jamaican Bobsled team but alas there was none, lol.

It's pretty tragic how 21 year old luger Nodar Kumaritashvili of Georgia died Friday after crashing in practice.. I felt there should've been more of a tribute to him, if he was Canadian or American there would've been some words said in respect. [edit]I spoke too soon, he was just honoured.[/edit]

But anyways, I'm psyched for hockey of course!!

GO CANADA!!!!! :D

2. Ted_Wolff

Ted_Wolff Rookie

Pretty stellar opening show... just really, really long.

3. keepithowitis

keepithowitis Rookie

I'm super high, and the fireworks are fantastic. Don't really care for the Games themselves, but that was a pretty display of light.

4. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

USA! USA! USA!

5. tigerlily521985

I am usually pretty pumped for the Winter Olympics. Much more so than the Summer ones. But this year I just don't really seem to care too much. Maybe I'm too preoccupied. I may try to catch some of my favourite events. We shall see.

6. keepithowitis

keepithowitis Rookie

Oh, i just learned we're being broadcast an hour later than the rest of the U.S. and/or world. that totally makes sense, especially since vancouver and seattle are in the same time zone.

7. kapow

kapow Regular

bet your friends the torch fucks up, they'll think you're a genius

8. keepithowitis

keepithowitis Rookie

bahaha, phone's dead, facebook's not working, we all left the park about an hour ago, and they're all pretty baked right now. and i stopped watching. but i'll let them know that i called the torch thing.

9. trust_no_one

trust_no_one Rookie

I stopped watching when they started speaking in french.

10. lokness

lokness Rookie

I saw the luge incident on the internet and just wow. It happened so fast. He was like a ragdoll bouncing around the poles.

Truly messed up.

11. Daddio

Daddio Regular

i dont get why they had those poles so close to the track .. maybe they had no choice but damn ... that was brutal. from what ive been hearing he was rather new to the sport and made a horrible rookie mistake, it's a shame.

the reason i think they didnt make a bigger tribute is because they want to keep it positive, they did give him a minute of silence near the end, when his country was introduced they had there hats off, most of the people in the crowd paid respects to the loss.

as for the ceremony in general ... maybe living in winnipeg has numbed me to the 'culture' of our country because i laughed at almost everything they did, so lame.

good ol 99 lighting the flame = priceless

12. TheDiesel

TheDiesel Rookie

Yeah, it was damn hard to not cringe through that video.

RIP.

13. Wes

Wes Rookie

Yeah some of it was pretty lame and I feel asleep. I was too tired to do anything last night so I suppose it wasn't that boring but K.D. Lang and Brian Adams? Lame.

14. BigZell2020

BigZell2020 Rookie

These female speed skaters have some serious junk in the trunk. Caboose central...

15. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Meh. I know GB have a good female skiier...that's about it. We are the fucking curling masters though! Us Brits know how to chuck a rock down some ice let me tell you.

16. Hlallu

Hlallu Rookie

I lost all respect I had for our news media after the ceremony, if I had any left.
    I bet you a million dollars they wouldnt have showed the death clip if he were american.
    And they talked more about the skiier who hurt her effing chin.
    Ive decided Im living in Canada.

On a brighter note, for some of the night I was in a tent outside in the middle of the snow -the tent was like a tailgate tent, and we had a tv and food- and later went inside. I have a number 99 Canada team hockey jersey and got a lot of compliments on it. Going skiing tomorrow, I love winter and the winter olympics.

17. masterchris

masterchris Rookie

I'm sorry what?

18. DocMoc

DocMoc Rookie

Their thighs could crack your skull like a walnut.

Canada wins first gold at home!

19. Ted_Wolff

Ted_Wolff Rookie

I don't know how much I buy into that explanation. He's an Olympian. That means he's among the world's best. And others have had trouble with the course, too.

And if your first response, as the host, is that you need to fix the course, then it's obvious the fault is not entirely with the guy who messed up.

Between the insane course contributing to a death, to the botched torch lighting, to the underwhelming weather... there've been few bright spots so far. Bring back Michael Phelps for a polar swim!

20. clockworks

clockworks Rookie

The onl;y sport that matters IMO is Mens hockey. Today is Team Canadas first game against...Norway. Aside from that I hope the team knows that they have NO choice but to win gold on home ice.