Game Revolution's Top 100 Games of the era! 10-1 (pg 5)

Wes said:
And I know I'm going to get a lot of hate but I don't see what the big deal is with The Walking Dead. The ending is a giant kick in the balls and for a game that is tailored to how you play there are no multiple endings.
People love The Walking Dead for the same reason that they love The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite. Despite railroading, overabundance of cutscenes and questionable gameplay choices, they have easily relatable characters in a setting that provides simple conflict, and also young naive girls to create a simple, albeit powerful emotional connection.

Simple but effective.

Telltale needs to get rid of that disclaimer. For me it was the fac that for $5, I got a cool 2 hour experience. It's not some big ol multi million dollar project and it was more about having a story to tell in a setting/comic that I like. I do wish TTG would go back and revisit their puzzler roots though.

Telltale needs to get rid of that disclaimer. For me it was the fac that for $5, I got a cool 2 hour experience. It's not some big ol multi million dollar project and it was more about having a story to tell in a setting/comic that I like. I do wish TTG would go back and revisit their puzzler roots though.

Green_Lantern said:
But at least TLoU and BI have some semblance of actual gameplay.
Not really good gameplay, though. Which is better, almost nothing good or almost nothing at all?

I really don't understand the vitriol leveled at Infinite. Yeah, the combat got boring after the first few hours, but it's not like it was "bad." Really, just mediocre. But the story is damned fantastic, and that's what I played the game for anyways. I really find it hard to believe that it deserves anywhere near the level of hate that it gets, especially when you compare it to such absolute garbage as Aliens: Colonial Marines.

The walking dead, on the other hand, is entirely meant to be completely story driven, so I don't understand people who complain about there not being advanced gameplay mechanics. No shit it doesn't have those. And it's better for it - it just wouldn't be the same game if it emulated any kind of shooter. I suppose it could have had some more complicated puzzles. but I feel like that would have detracted from the pacing of the story. It was nice though to know that decisions did have consequences.

For the people who bitch about how your decisions don't really affect the final "outcome" of the story, my response is, "no shit." Unless the intent is to have a completely self-contained game (pretty obviously not, considering it's "season 1"), having a dramatic difference in the ending makes it impossible to have a follow up game at all. The developer would essentially need to make two different games. It's just not feasible.

However, unlike Mass Fucking Effect (if you want to complain about false choices, that's what you should direct your rage towards), the choices you make throughout the game actually do affect the story at various points, who lives and dies, and some aspects of the ending.

Bretimus_v2 said:
You had an elephant. You loved him. His name was Stampy.

Haha. Oh man yes. Perfect.

Great job, WL! And everybody. The top 20 has more good games than bad, which is about the best I could ask for. You guys do have some terrible taste though. Stop convincing yourselves that DXHR wasn't shit.

Wooooo! Nice work WL. Probably an fitting top 10.

I'm just so happy Persona 4 G wasnt top ;)

Yeah The Walking Dead was my all time favourite. Along with Heavy Rain and MGS4, I'm just a sucker for games that feel like a movie, ever since games started that trend (successfully) on the PS1.

Like Nick said, in TWD your choices do matter. It might not have eleventy-billion endings like Heavy Rain but that's not what TellTale was going for. They had one solid script and let you choose how to handle the situations throughout. I agree on a second playthrough it was made clear some choices have the same outcome, which felt a little disappointing, but those choices still ultimately affected how other characters perceived you. And the true heart of the game is based on how you develop relationships with the people you meet.

Green_Lantern said:
MattAY said:
Wooooo! Nice work WL. Probably an fitting top 10.

I'm just so happy Persona 4 G wasnt top ;)

Which is weird because that game was practically made just for you.

You know you're not wrong. I probably would love it, but that love is turned to hate when I dont have access to a PS2 or a Vita :(
Hint hint for Christmas btw guys.

Nick, I absolutely woudn't call it bad. It's just that I wouldn't rank a game with mediocre gameplay and a good story as the 16th best game that's come out this gen.

used44 said:
You guys do have some terrible taste though. Stop convincing yourselves that DXHR wasn't shit.
ZXPWBGL.gif

Meh, the top ten do little for me really. I like most of them but some of them I wouldn't even put on the list, especially so high.

Ah well, good work in the end, glad its all for fun.

Longo_2_guns said:
Wes said:
And I know I'm going to get a lot of hate but I don't see what the big deal is with The Walking Dead. The ending is a giant kick in the balls and for a game that is tailored to how you play there are no multiple endings.

People love The Walking Dead for the same reason that they love The Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite. Despite railroading, overabundance of cutscenes and questionable gameplay choices, they have easily relatable characters in a setting that provides simple conflict, and also young naive girls to create a simple, albeit powerful emotional connection.

Simple but effective.

Ah, so we admit they are mediocre games with blockbuster appeal.

The transformation to the movie industry is complete.

NickKmet said:
However, unlike Mass Fucking Effect (if you want to complain about false choices, that's what you should direct your rage towards), the choices you make throughout the game actually do affect the story at various points, who lives and dies, and some aspects of the ending.

Yeah, no, there is no fundamental difference between the choices in Mass Effect and the Walking Dead. In both games you are not changing the plotline, just the narrative tone. That is pretty much how choices work, its illusionary because you never have full control over the actions of what is going on, only who/what those actions do later on, before the universe rights itself later in the story. For an example, it doesn't matter if you save Doug or Carly in The Walking Dead, they die anyway in Chapter 3. It also doesn't matter much who you give food to, since characters who are scripted to die, will die. The only question then is when.

In fact, I would argue Mass Effect changes the plot more than the Walking dead because it provides higher degrees of ramifications regarding how they did the endings to the trilogy. How well you prepared changes your chances and the narrative tone, but your final choice also changes the course of the series future. Still, people just don't like the endings for some reason, which confuses me because The Last of Us had a really bad ending and is critically acclaimed for some reason.

Maybe we all are really fickle.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod