Game Revolutions Top 100 games of all time

I think the list is shaping up nicely and your scoring sytem works nicely, considering the number of nominations. if half of the voters really were putting up games that they thought were boring (for whatever reason) then we would see the list being plagued by attrocious games. so far, most if not all the games up there are grade A bonified great games. may or may not be your cup of tea, but they were great games too many OTHER people. this is after all, a list composed by many other people.

can't wait for the big finish!

You should do the same for Top 100 game characters in pretty much the same way! That'd be awesome! Have a break first obviously ;)

MattAY said:
You should do the same for Top 100 game characters in pretty much the same way! That'd be awesome! Have a break first obviously ;)

I sense Cloud vs. Sephiroth threads. :p

Nice idea on the top 100 characters MattAY. Maybe in a month towards the end of the year.

Silent Hill 2
(PS2/XBOX)
297 points
silenthill2cz8.jpg

“I got a letter. The name on the envelope said ‘Mary.’ My wife’s name... It’s ridiculous, couldn’t possibly be true... That’s what I keep telling myself... A dead person can’t write a letter…â€

I may not agree with the order, but in no way can I complain about the games. Shaping up to be a damn fine list.

Cool, cool!

RE4 case LIES! It's not only for Gamecube. Good to see Brawl and Galaxy high up!
Reckon the top ten list will be up by tonight Ghost? Because I honestly cant wait haha.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
(PS3)
371 points
metalgearsolid4rl7.jpg

For over 20 years Solid Snake has snuck into our hearts. In every installment of this ground-breaking series new playability options are opened up to the player, whether it was the first person aiming of 2 or the camo system of the 3rd, 4 is probably the most drastic of them all. Using all the good from the other installments and ditching the less-than stellar, MGS4 gives the player the option of engaging in an all-out shooting war with 70 different weapons at your disposal, and some that are customizable. Sure you may only use 5, but the 5 you choose may not be the 5 I choose. There is always the option of not using any; it is possible to play this intense war parable without killing a single person, bosses included. There are so many different ways to play this game, my mind has sufficiently been boggled. Then there is the story, doing it's best to tie up the loose ends from the past, and succeeding much to my surprise. Snake is not who he used to be, his body is breaking down; he relies on technology to keep up the good fight, a fight ironically against technology itself and he, himself a product of it. Never has there been such a graceful conclusion to a mess as big as the one left in MGS2, I bow to you, Mr. Kojima but, secretly I'm bowing to Solid Snake.

Review by Lentium

--------------------------------------------------------------

Super Mario 64
(N64)
384 points
supermario64sz9.jpg

Super Mario 64 was practically a revolution in the gaming world. it introduced the world to a dynamic camera system, analog control and provided, much like Super Mario Brothers did for 2D platformers, a benchmark for all 3D platformers to come. Rather than traversing a linear obstacle course, SM64 gave you the ability to explore entire worlds. While only 3 times throwing you into a linear obstacle course to fight Bowser. The game was filled with surprises at every turn (Unagi the eel, that mad piano, and punching butterflies can sometimes turn them into bombs!) and even today, is still a fun, challenging and smile educing romp through the world that Nintendo created.

Review by xxlordskullxx

Final Fantasy VIII
(PS1)
401 points
finalfantasy8ntscfrontrt2.jpg

Credit has to go where it's due, Without Final Fantasy VII, VIII would probably be a weaker experience. But what makes VIII special is not the changed combat system, not the updated graphics, but the powerful story. Even VII had trouble holding a narrative, VIII's story, two parts love and respect, one part about the emotional roller coaster of growing up, intermixed with political upheaval and dimensional travel, concoct a memorable, yet somewhat melancholy experience that many Final Fantasy fans prefer over it's predecessor.

Review by LinksOcarina

Halo
(XBOX)
405 points
haloce2.jpg

November 15, 2001 was a big day for consoles. it was the day Halo: Combat Evolved was released as a launch title for Microsoft’s first foray into the console market; the Xbox. it showed everyone that FPS's can be done, and done well on consoles. it is a science fiction themed FPS , though its not just your typical corridor shooter fair. With wide-open outdoor environments, vehicle segments, cooperative play, terrific and plentiful multiplayer (split screen and system link only play) options and highly intelligent enemy AI, it set the benchmark for console shooters. its regenerative health system would be borrowed by many games later on. separate buttons for grenades and melee, which may seem normal by today’s standards, wasn't always as common then. When other games are labeled as "halo-clones" or "Halo-killers", you know that what you have here is not only an important milestone for console FPS's, but a damn good game to boot.

Review by xxlordskullxx

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
(PC, 360, PS3)
412 points
114323218100ug5.jpg

Arguably the first true next-gen game, Oblivion continues the epic Elder Scrolls series. Everything we've come to love from the series is here. Large, open areas and an open play style allow you to play anyway you want. The main storyline is compelling and enjoyable, yet need never be accomplished for one to enjoy endless hours of fun.

Review by Kristo

Knights of the Old Republic
(PS, XBOX)
441 points
g17934wtq5gan7.jpg

You're already on a video game site so chances are you've at least heard of this phenomenal RPG created by Bioware. If you haven't I suggest you familiarize yourself with it. KOTOR is set thousands of years before the events of the first Star Wars film and as such offers up a multitude of fresh stories, new characters and the chance to play as a light saber wielding Jedi badass without it going against the film's timelines.

What makes KOTOR such a great gaming experience however isn't the fact that the combat system is top notch, it's also the deep, rich story full of twists and turns that rivals a good novel or film's story(and runs many hours), the endless number of side quests and planets for you to visit in your very own ship. Did I mention yet the fact that your actions will determine your path as a Jedi? Veer to far into the darkside and your figure will become deformed and evil looking. Whether light or dark also determines the games ending as well as how members of your crew interact with you. This all makes for a title with great replayability but honestly it's so good you'd want to replay it even without the added depth.

Review by Lethean

Metal Gear Solid
(PS1)
459 points
mgscoverjv2.jpg

SNAAAAAAAAAKE! Metal Gear Solid is the epiphany of video games. Even though it was remade for the GameCube like Resident Evil, gamers still have so much respect for this game they’ll vote for the original. Metal Gear Solid forever changed our standards on voice acting and plots in video games and turned Hideo Kojima into a household name. The series has always been perfected time and time again but many gamers agree the first is not only the best in the series but quite possibly the best video game of all time.

Super Mario Bros. 3
(NES)
476 points
supermariobros3lp0.jpg

With an awesome first game and a "meh" second game, Mario came back with a bang in his third major outing on the NES with Super Mario Bros. 3. Sometimes considered as the greatest game on the NES, it's easy to see why. The worlds were varied, examples being a desert and even a giant world, the graphics and music were amazing, controls were perfect and above all that, it was a blast to play. There were secrets galore and different suits that were fun to be in. If you haven't played it, you can't call yourself a gamer.

Review by Boringman54

Final Fantasy VII
(PS1)
533 points
finalfantasyviicoverjc7.jpg

You may have never played it, you may have never even played a single Final Fantasy game, and maybe you’ve never even played an RPG before. But if you play video game, you still know Aeris dies. While some might consider the game overrated, a much much larger crowd of people would call it the best RPG of all time. It’s so successful that it’s the only Final Fantasy game with a movie sequel, 8 years after the game was released! The final fantasy series is working on chapter 13 and has many spin-offs and side quest games yet people still hail this game as the best ever.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
(N64)
535 points
zeldaootbox1mc8.jpg

Yes, that’s right, Ocarina of Time wins it again! You may think it’s predictable but let’s be honest, how many would be upset if another game took its place? What can be said about Ocarina of Time that hasn’t been said before? Each dungeon is perfectly designed and feels completely different from the previous one. Every character is highly developed. The story is heart-warming, shocking, and brilliant. The last boss battle is the most epic battle you will ever encounter. The combat was the first of it’s kind and is imitated in almost every 3rd person action game to date. The Legend of Zelda is indeed a work of art and will stay in gamers hearts forever.

9240826483d1329735ql4.jpg

It feels so good to see my reviews.

Now for thoughts:
-Holy crap, MGS 4 is high
-YAY for OoT
-grrrr FF VIII beat FF X
-YAY Brawl is high.

Now I am done.

By TWO points! - close.

I like the sneaky number 3 of SMB3...dont think anyone would've predicted that before nominations.

Bravo Ghost, thanks for doing this!

We should get Duke or someone to publish this on the homepage of the site.

Great job ghost, hats off to ya.

While I don't agree with the placement of every game, I think this list is fairly accurate.

Great job to all the reviewers too!

This list makes me realize how much we differ as gamers. I've never played many of these games, never wanted to, and never will. It shows the diversity of our community. Also, to be picky, you spelled my name wrong Ghost :)

complete kick ass, of course not everyone will agree with certain picks but it's how it was voted!

my only comment..

where's EARTHBOUND?!

:p

Great job! I vote in favor of top 100 characters.. maybe top 50 heros top 50 villians.. or even top ## supporting rolls.

My thoughts and opinions.

I'm so Happy Phantom Hourglass just barely made it and super happy GhostTrip used my review :D
Final Fantasy VII is great, but overrated, VIII is better.
SMB at #3 is simply awesome.
Resident Evil 4 makes sense where it is because it's a good action game. But SH2 is better in terms of a horror game.
It kinda sucks that Gutair Hero 2 didn't make it.
People at GR seem to LOVE the MGS series.
oh and also
I'm happy San Andreas was ranked much higher then GTA IV.

Great job GhostTrip! That must've been hardwork, kudos to you.

AMANIAC said:
I've never played a Final Fantasy and i have no idea who Aeris is. Great list, though. Nice work. :)

Haha, you'd think people would put up spoiler alerts about FF7 - but by now, it's like people saying Vader is Luke's father, you think everyone knows.

MattAY said:
AMANIAC said:
I've never played a Final Fantasy and i have no idea who Aeris is. Great list, though. Nice work. :)

Haha, you'd think people would put up spoiler alerts about FF7 - but by now, it's like people saying Vader is Luke's father, you think everyone knows.

Vader is Luke's father?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle