Game Revolutions Top 100 games of all time

ZankerH said:
Assuming Eve Online doesn't show up on the rest of the list (in front of wow, that is), I'd just like to say this regarding your scoring system -

Quantity above quality.

Want some cheese with that wine.

Seriously, if I did this the most frustrating part would be putting up with your bitching everytime the list is updated.

I can't wait for MY review!

Zanker, I'm all for constructive criticism. But to be honest, you didn't nominate any games. In fact, you said the nomination topic was nothing more then a mechanical thread.

Yeah, I forgot Counterstrike was even ported to consoles...

Loving the list, Ghost. My reviews are so best!

Silent Hill
(PS1)
247 points
silenthillvc0.jpg

What once began with a cult following soon took notice in the mainstream and was declared one of the scariest games of all time. Harry Mason is a widowed father, after taking a break from writing his horror novel he takes his young daughter Cheryl on a journey to the town of her birth place; Silent Hill. A place she has been insisting on visiting for quite some time. As Harry is driving along the mountainside towards the town a figure steps out onto the road. Harry swerves to avoid her and winds up smashing his jeep and falling unconscious. When he awakens Cheryl is missing and Harry sets off into town to find her. From there, Harry discovers Silent Hill has become a ghost town and meets a few characters, each with their own motives for being there. He uncovers an ugly truth about Silent Hill and ventures deeper into its underbelly to find his missing daughter.

Silent Hill opened up a whole new type of survival horror video game called psychological horror. It had the pop-out-and-scare-you moments found in Resident Evil, but the real scares came from the unnerving surrounding. A growing question on whether the game was based in reality, or some dream kept popping up through-out the game and keeps the plot interesting and the tension high.

Many people enjoy the sequel more then the original because Silent Hill asks a lot of questions but requires you to dig deep for answers, which in most cases can be theoretical. But for some people, digging deep for answers and putting your own pieces together can be more enjoyable then holding you hand along the way.

Review by Hexagram

---------------------------------------------------------------

Final Fantasy VI
(SNES)
258 points
0000gg8.jpg

Yes, I know the picture says Final Fantasy III but the truth is that this game is actually the sixth adventure from Final Fantasy. For some reason the Japanese never released II or V in the US. It’s a little confusing, almost as confusing as the first time you watched Star Wars and wondered why it said Episode IV. Anyways, this game might seem a bit high on list, but FFVI is a game that inspired Nintendo to make Super Mario RPG, a game that increasingly grows popular with the virtual console. Hardcore fans say it’s grossly underrated compared to the next installments, but regardless it ranks high at #29 and is a perfect game for fans of old-school RPG’s.

Super Mario Bros
(NES)
263 points
smboxdv1.jpg

While technically not the first Mario game, many consider it the beginning. Because this game is what launched the oldest and most innovative video game company to date; Nintendo. Unless you chose to shoot ducks or race at the Olympics, Super Mario Bros was the first game you played on the Nintendo Entertainment System. Super Mario Bros opened the doors for some of the greatest video games in our history and for that we salute our Koopa stomping plumber!

Rockband
(PS2, PS3, 360, Wii)
267 points
rockbandch0.jpg

So what’s better then playing along on the guitar? How about forming your own band! Rockband is super fun to play with four people and has a kick-ass song list to choose from. The whole game set includes two guitars 1 base and 1 electric, a drum kit and a microphone. Getting four people together to jam to your favorite songs made video games fun for everybody!

Review by Zoey

Street Fighter 2
(SNES/Arcade)
269 points
streetfighteriiuy2.jpg

At #26 is one of the best fighting games ever created. Sometimes a game is re-released with extra content. Well this game was re-released THREE times (that I know of) and gamers still ate it up! In fact, many gamers today still enjoy playing the old Street Fighter 2 game as opposed to more modern fighting games. Capcom is even releasing Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix for the PS3!! It’s crazy I tell ya! As crazy as it is, there is no denying Street Fighter 2 is the highest-ranking fighting game in history.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
(PS2)
272 points
metalgearsolid33a00subssn8.jpg

Let’s go back to the beginning. Before Shadow Moses, before Solid Snake was even born. Let’s go back to the 60’s when Big Boss faced his most heroic and most tragic battle of all time. Metal Gear Solid is never short in story; in fact in some cases fans have criticized it for this reason. But MGS3 seems to tell a perfect story without a perplexing twist that leaves you feeling like you just watched Donnie Darko. If you can make it past the 1960’s history lesson in the beginning, you’ll find yourself on a tactical espionage mission unlike any other. Besides issues with the camera, the game’s camouflage and CQC add high tension to the gameplay and even out some rough edges in the previous games. Snake Eater was hailed as many to be a masterpiece and it’s easy to see why.
Yes, I know the cover is from Subsistance, but I like this one better

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
(SNES)
275 points
boxcovertf4.jpg

A Link To The Past: When most people think of Zelda, oftentimes it's the near immortal Ocarina of Time that gets all the praise. But, A Link To The Past is usually a close second. Proof that a top-down scrawling Action RPG can be done on the Super Nintendo, A Link To The Past was beautiful to look at, difficult to master, and overall fun to play. Well thought out dungeons, intricate boss battles, and some of the most memorable secrets ever strewn into a game, A Link To The Past revived the franchise for a younger generation, and paved the way for the Magnum Opus that would be Ocarina of Time.

Review by LinksOcarina

Super Smash Bros. Melee
(GCN)
277 points
1066zi1.jpg

Who thought a fighting game would make such a great party game? SSBM was an amazing sequel to a game that still has a huge following. The cast is extremely diverse, and the replay value is through the roof. This game was such a huge step forward from its predecessor, that the expectations of the third game were unrealistically high. Regardless of which is your favourite, SSBM is one of the best direct sequels ever made, and will have us meteor smashing for years to come.

Review by Rakon

Half Life 2
(PC, XBOX)
286 points
halflife2boxhj3.jpg

The intense action and immersive storytelling from the original continues on the follow-up to Half-Life. More realism and responsiveness marks this game as “best everâ€

How in the name of our lord Jesus Christ did Tomb Raider only make it to # 63? C'mon guys, highly disappointing results for one of the most revolutionary games of all time.

Hexagram said:
It's a shame Fatal Frame is so low but what can ya do? I'm glad that SH 1 and 2 aren't in the bottom half of the list. I wonder where mc is? Surely he'd be interested to see where the games wind up.
I'm a little late to the party, sorry :) Yeah, the Fatal Frame result was seriously disappointing.. as was the Silent Hill result. I mean fuck people, why wasn't that at least top 10?

I probably shouldn't comment though, I didn't vote. Then again, I didn't even know we were voting.
To be truthful, until I stumbled upon this thread today, I had no idea this was even going on!!

This list is actually surprising me a lot; SSBM over LTTP? who knows what other acronyms will appear on this list

Hey Ghost, just wanted to say that in the 31-40, you put Sonic (220 points) lower than Call of Duty 4 (218 points).

Other than that, good job, and I'm sorry I couldn't do my bit for the nominations.

thetank said:
Hey Ghost, just wanted to say that in the 31-40, you put Sonic (220 points) lower than Call of Duty 4 (218 points).

Fixed, good eye!

masterchris said:
To be truthful, until I stumbled upon this thread today, I had no idea this was even going on!!

Let this be a lesson, always check your inbox! :wink:

LinksOcarina said:
All I know is were missing two final fantasies, a metal gear solid, and an ocarina of time....

Super Mario Bros. 3 hasn't arrived yet, and considering that more than half the people who nominated put that as number 1 NES game - it could actually win this thing!!

MattAY said:
LinksOcarina said:
All I know is were missing two final fantasies, a metal gear solid, and an ocarina of time....

Super Mario Bros. 3 hasn't arrived yet, and considering that more than half the people who nominated put that as number 1 NES game - it could actually win this thing!!
True, but it also depends where people put it on their Top 20 list.

GhostTrip said:
Zanker, I'm all for constructive criticism. But to be honest, you didn't nominate any games. In fact, you said the nomination topic was nothing more then a mechanical thread.

And I've stated my reasoning clearly - this is nothing but an arbitrary, quantity-over-quality categorisation without a single rule about the criteria on which games are rated - for all we know, half of the people who voted might have rated them based on how boring they were, and the other half did the opposite. Far to arbitrary to extract any common trend, in my opinion, which I consider to be fully supported in fact, by the list revealed thus far.

MGS 3?!!??! ugh gag. Cmon I thought that game was when the series took a serious leap off the deep end. Like the concept, but *YAK!* Good game - but top 25?!?!?!? no way.

Ghosttrip: *thinks* there goes urban whining again... F***ing black people.. *sigh*

Nice, 22 and 21 are both awesome games. (half-life 2 - brilliant singleplayer and goldeneye - brilliant multiplayer).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo