What is your personal choice for game of the year?

I'd go for Fallout 3, sure it has a few technical issues, but i just can't get enough of that good ol' VATS!

After a major update to my games collection, a revision of my choices:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Little Big Planet
Red Alert 3
Valkyria Chronicles
Mirror's Edge
GTA4

It comes down to the choice between those. I'm pretty confident it'll be one of the first three, though.

Metal Gear Solid 4 without a damn doubt.

Runner ups:

- Gears of War 2
- Little Big Planet
- Fallout 3
- GTA IV
- Dead Space
- Left 4 Dead

What can I say? DAMN GOOD YEAR FOR GAMING'!

Fallout 3 was a real eye-opener this year. Yet the game is dauntingly big and I really have to commit myself to it.

Wrath of the Lich King surprised me, mainly because I haven't played Word of Warcraft in like 6 months or so. Some of the changes I notice now might have been part of 'the experience' for quite some time now, but the game really feels fresh and new to me, even though I've been playing it off and on for over four years now.

Grand Theft Auto IV managed to capture me in the same way the first incarnation of the game did back in the nineties, or Grand Theft Auto 3 later on -for which I actually considered buying a Playstation 2-. The game really feels like a finished product, with an over-abundance of little details. The return of the multiplayer component -missing since the GTA 3 series- really made a difference in my opinion. Classic game!

Who could forget about Mass Effect? As a modern day RPG it is way ahead of its competitors, even though the side missions / exploration can be a bit repetitive. A solid story, top notch gameplay, superb graphics and a good soundtrack makes this title a serious contender for game of the year in my book.

Sins of a Solar Empire is the space RTS to play this year. Even though the game lacks a serious single player component, skirmish and online play make up for it. The continued support for the game, as well as major updates created by the community itself extend the longevity of this game for years to come. Even I jumped into the fray and created the Babylon 5 Galaxy map (downloadable from the main site, even though they posted up the early versions).

I left out a few titles that were excellent as well, like Fable II, Gears of War 2 or Farcry 2, but the titles mentioned previously really captured my attention for long periods this year, and will continue to do so for the months ahead.

All in all, it was a good year. In my opinion it rivals the year 1998 which also saw the release of many (now) classic titles.

So many great games, it was a good year (still NOT done dammit, SFIV is coming out!!). Here's the lowdown in case you're worried you missed anything.

My personal choice so far is Fallout 3. Best overall game.

Best multi-player game would have to be Left 4 Dead. Can't remember the last time I had so much fun with friends. Probably when I first bought Rock Band. DEFINITELY a must have, if you have friends.

Innovations for an old concept: Braid, hands down. The must have "arcade" game of the year (as much as I know I'd love SFII Turbo HD, it can't beat innovation). So runner-ups are (for arcade in general): Castle Crashers, and Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD.

Other notable must play/have games of the year:
MGS 4 (it made me stop playing GTA IV..)
GTA IV (I just started playing it again, it's not as hard to get back into as I thought)
Rock Band 2
Little Big Planet
Fable II,
Mirror's Edge (must rent)
Dead Space
Lost Odyssy
Far Cry 2
Saint's Row 2
Gears Of War 2

If you're a fan, these new series additions are worth it: Soul Calibur 4, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Ninja Gaiden II, Devil May Cry 4.

Special mention: Call of Duty 4, because I still pop it in every now and then, and it's still one of the best multi-player shooters I played.

Still coming this year:
Street Figher 4
Street Fighter II HD remake (this wednesday)
Prince of Persia (oh yea baby, December 2nd)
Shin Megami Tensei Persona 4 (December 9th)
Rise of The Argonauts (December 16th)
Velvet Assassin (NA).

^I didn't disagree with your choice, I simply questioned if they qualified. Best game I've played this year is Max Payne but it's not game of the year.
I haven't picked up Sins, but I plan to, it looks pretty good. Mass Effect was very good, my game of the year last year.

Meh, sins was great, but I guess I've simply set my expectations too-high. I was hoping for a galaxy-wide grand strategy and a decent sci-fi story, but instead it turned out to be a Starcraft*-like "my micro beats your superior strategy, defeat in 30 seconds" with the pace somewhat slower. Also, capital ships=WC3 heroes. I mean, it's like every single reviewer lied when they said it's an epic grand strategy. Sure, some of the sci-fi show themed mods get closer to that, but it's essentially too much of a twitch-RTS.

Ashalar said:
Grand Theft Auto IV managed to capture me in the same way the first incarnation of the game did back in the nineties, or Grand Theft Auto 3 later on -for which I actually considered buying a Playstation 2-. The return of the multiplayer component -missing since the GTA 3 series- really made a difference in my opinion. Classic game!

GTA: SA had multiplayer you had to pick up a little token and have the second controller plugged in. Sure you could only drive around but still it had it.

I also don't remember GTA 3 having multiplayer on the PS2. It might have but I don't remember it.

Xbox 360: Fallout 3
PS3: LittleBIGPlanet
Wii: de BLOB
DS: Final Fantasy IV (it's the only one I played this year)
PC: Call of Duty: World at War

schimmel said:
Xbox 360: Fallout 3
PS3: LittleBIGPlanet
Wii: de BLOB
DS: Final Fantasy IV (it's the only one I played this year)
PC: Call of Duty: World at War
PSP: God of War: Chains of Olympus

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle