What are ya playing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ivory_Soul said:
Thanks for some insight, but please don't say you need to like Japan and Anime. That's a little cringy, and insensitive to their culture. Most things in anime and manga are over exaggerations of their everyday lives and nostalgia. Saying you can understand their culture strictly through a media is incorrect. You still won't like or understand this game even if you like anime.
To be completely fair, if you have an aversion to Japanese culture or Anime as a style then the Persona series isn't going to be for you, considering half of the game is anime-styled Japanese high school simulator game.
But if you like that sort of stuff, then you'll probably like it in this game.

As for the gameplay, I can't speak for P5, but fusing demons to get better demons with powerful skills is key. Keep an eye on the strengths and weaknesses of each one, and try and prepare accordingly.

Longo_2_guns said:
Ivory_Soul said:
Thanks for some insight, but please don't say you need to like Japan and Anime. That's a little cringy, and insensitive to their culture. Most things in anime and manga are over exaggerations of their everyday lives and nostalgia. Saying you can understand their culture strictly through a media is incorrect. You still won't like or understand this game even if you like anime.
To be completely fair, if you have an aversion to Japanese culture or Anime as a style then the Persona series isn't going to be for you, considering half of the game is anime-styled Japanese high school simulator game.

As for the gameplay, I can't speak for P5, but fusing demons to get better demons with powerful skills is key. Keep an eye on the strengths and weaknesses of each one, and try and prepare accordingly.

I disagree. Although I love Japanese culture, I have never been able to get into anime or any animations for that matter. I actually find them boring.

Even then I'm completely addicted to Persona 5. I don't like the visual style at all, including the anime cutscenes, but the story and gameplay is good enough to carry it.

You have a point to an extent, but I'm a living example that you can dislike anime and still love Persona 5.

The patch for Andromeda wasn't out last night... so I expect that since I'm in the future (Australia), maybe we'll have it today.

Longo_2_guns said:

This is what I was going for. If you despise anime, you'll unlikely to get over the visual style of P5 first and foremost. Of course there are exceptions like Jonathan, but I suspect his might be biased misconception from previous experience (have you tried watching modern late night anime shows for adults Jon?).

@Ivory_Soul, I know anime in Japan is still niche after you take out the big daytime airing shows for kids and teens like Pokemon, it's just the highschool setting is just so distinct to Japanese media.

Played Crucible in Destiny for the first time last night, and it definitely is more fun playing against real humans. I think it's the first time I've played competitive shooter since Battlefield 2142!

Good news is bandwidth required isn't too much, since I was still green bar playing through wifi shared from my 4G phone.

I'ma lvl 15 running around with noob gear amongst all lvl 40s, so it feels great to not come last in rounds, and even got top marks in my team once, albiet we were the losing side. In most Crucible modes, level advantages get nulled, but abilities and gear still don't get scaled right?

MattAY said:
Who has Persona 5?

I've never played a Persona game, and really want to know what it's like!

I know it's been brought up before but you're such a weeaboo that I still can't believe that.

sli said:
Longo_2_guns said:

This is what I was going for. If you despise anime, you'll unlikely to get over the visual style of P5 first and foremost. Of course there are exceptions like Jonathan, but I suspect his might be biased misconception from previous experience (have you tried watching modern late night anime shows for adults Jon?).

@Ivory_Soul, I know anime in Japan is still niche after you take out the big daytime airing shows for kids and teens like Pokemon, it's just the highschool setting is just so distinct to Japanese media.

There are moments where Persona 5 drives me nuts, usually when the long dialog interactions and anime sequences are front and center. Really, it's the social aspects, combat, collection, and progression that have me hooked.

Jonathan_Leack said:
sli said:
Longo_2_guns said:

There are moments where Persona 5 drives me nuts, usually when the long dialog interactions and anime sequences are front and center.

But that's pretty much every JRPG out there.

Green_Lantern said:
MattAY said:
Who has Persona 5?

I've never played a Persona game, and really want to know what it's like!

I know it's been brought up before but you're such a weeaboo that I still can't believe that.

I know, lad, I know.
When playing Catherine, I loved the relationship-style stuff and choices you had to make in the bar - seeing how different endings occurred etc.
And I must admit, I'm more excited about the daytime high school stuff more than the fighting gameplay at the moment!

Green_Lantern said:
Jonathan_Leack said:
sli said:
Longo_2_guns said:

There are moments where Persona 5 drives me nuts, usually when the long dialog interactions and anime sequences are front and center.

But that's pretty much every JRPG out there.

Persona 5 goes way beyond what other JRPGs do in terms of drawn out dialog. I spent 25 minutes straight last night pushing through dialog when all I wanted to do was save the game and get off.

I've been playing the crap out of Horizon. It's funny to watch my son be almost finished with the main story at near level 22 and I'm half ways with all the gear at 42.

I downloaded the latest update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm now noticing significantly less bugs, better/fixed animations and characters looking improved and less doll-like/dead.

The game's gotten a lot better.

Master_Craig said:
I downloaded the latest update for Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'm now noticing significantly less bugs, better/fixed animations and characters looking improved and less doll-like/dead.

It's sad to think that all BioWare needed was another two weeks to avoid a lot of the controversy.

Jonathan_Leack said:
Master_Craig said:

It's sad to think that all BioWare needed was another two weeks to avoid a lot of the controversy.

Bloody oath, man. I agree. BioWare should have delayed the game just a bit longer to give it a final polish.

But, you know. EA Games.

On the weekend, I went to a local eSports event (free to enter) where the game was Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a tournament.

I used to be REALLY good at Smash Bros. Melee, and two mates of mine convinced me to come down and give it a go.

I got completely destroyed in the first round by this teenager playing as Mewtwo. I played as Samus.

I probably shouldn't have played as Samus. My two best characters are Link and Samus, but according to the Super Smash Bros. eSports scene, Link is considered a "Tier D" character, while Samus is "E". Mewtwo on the other hand, is "A".

My two friends also lost against the same teenager. One of my mates played as Cloud (an "S" ranked character) and the other was Marth (also an "A" ranked character).

There's gonna be another one next month. I'm thinking about trying again.

Master_Craig said:
On the weekend, I went to a local eSports event (free to enter) where the game was Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, a tournament.

I used to be REALLY good at Smash Bros. Melee, and two mates of mine convinced me to come down and give it a go.

I got completely destroyed in the first round by this teenager playing as Mewtwo. I played as Samus.

I probably shouldn't have played as Samus. My two best characters are Link and Samus, but according to the Super Smash Bros. eSports scene, Link is considered a "Tier D" character, while Samus is "E". Mewtwo on the other hand, is "A".

My two friends also lost against the same teenager. One of my mates played as Cloud (an "S" ranked character) and the other was Marth (also an "A" ranked character).

There's gonna be another one next month. I'm thinking about trying again.

Sounds like fun! Hope you kick some ass next time! Hope the rules aren't duels (but they probably were), since real Smash skill is within the 4 player chaos. I would enter something like this, I play a mean Donkey Kong, but that was back in the day of original Smash Bros on the N64!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod