UFC 117

Mitchy, you've proven yet again how much of an idiot you are. The UFC was never caged street fights. Tank Abbot tried being a straight up street banger and he ended up being tapped out more times than I can recall. It's always been about mixed martial arts.

I agree to having a structured weight class system, it keeps things legit IMO. If a fighter wants to have a weight advantage they best be off to the heavyweights where it doesn't how much weight you got!

The ultimate YouTube street fighter got a shot at the UFC .. and look how Kimbo ended up.

Daddio said:
Lokness, what do you think about the Edgar v Penn 2? Think Penn finally met his match?

IMO the first fight was too close and could have gone either way. Penn didnt seem the same and his performance wasnt that of a champ which is why i i think Edgar deserved it. The second time Penn will win hands down. I love Frankie but he's no real champ.

I'm just annoyed that the Couture vs Toney fight is happening. The MMA vs Boxing debate will not be solved by pitting to 40-plus fighters in a MMA match.

So all you have to do to win is be the first to jump on another naked sweaty man and punch his nutsack?

That is pretty gay, yall.

I'll admit there is some pretty strong homoerotic vibe coming off of MMA, but it definitely sounds like you might be tuning into a different program, Stal.

Am I the only one who thinks MMA is pretty damn boring most of the time?

Every time I watch it I get all excited for the first few seconds of each round until both fighters end up on the ground and stay that way for the remainder of the round/fight.

I think boxing is more consistently entertaining as long as its not to heavyweights who only throw 10 punches a round. Boxing can be very boring too but if you get two fast and aggressive boxers going against each other then you can stay on the edge of your seat for the whole match.

I'm not trying to start a boxing vs mma thing... I guess what I'm saying is I like fighters to be standing on their feet while they're going at it.

StalfrosCC said:
So all you have to do to win is be the first to jump on another naked sweaty man and punch his nutsack?

That is pretty gay, yall.

groin shots are illegal. i think you're watching something else.

Krowsnose said:
Am I the only one who thinks MMA is pretty damn boring most of the time?

That's because Dana White is whoring out the UFC now almost twice a month with PPVs. Then you get the Spike TV Live shows, then you get the Ultimate Fighter ... it's just too much and it waters down the product IMO.

The UFC brags about its huge roster, but really how many contenders for championships are there? Not many. Each division has maybe 3 that just keep going at it.

I could never get into boxing, I got respect for the training boxers do and the sick precision striking they have .. but I just find it too boring.

I don't think there's anything boring about it. If you find Jits and rolling boring, then obviously MMA simply isn't for you. It's *mixed* martial arts. Stand up game and ground game is involved.

As for the homosexual comments about it...*Yawn*. As if that hasn't been said EVERY time we've had a thread about this. BJJ is as legit a martial art as Karate. Nothing homosexual about it.....Now, if the guy walked a way sporting some major would....That'd be a different story!

As for Penn Vs Edgar II....It's a tough call. It's likely going to go to a fifth round decision.

The Couture Vs Toney thing isn't really to settle the debate...James Toney went after White for months wanting a shot at a UFC fighter. He wanted to start right off with Brock Lesnar but Dana told him no. They ended up agreeing on him fighting Randy. Even Couture has said this fight won't end the debate, Dana White said it's a freak show despite the fact he said he'd never put one on. He really just wants Toney to stop running his mouth.

See for me the ground game and tie ups are the exciting part, especially since you have guys who can go to work in the tie up. Most people hate Couture fights cuz he just ties up and fights from the inside while leaning guys into the cage. I love it. I love matches like Silva/Sonnen where one guy is physically dominating until the other uses a smart sub and ends the match with it. I guess for me it comes down to being relevant to my past. I spent my formative years in freestyle wrestling, greco and some grappling, and it's cool to see moves applied and modified for situations involving striking.

Exactly Bretimus! It also goes to show how there's a lot of skill involved - Especially concerning the ground game. It's like a physical chess match. You also don't need to be the strongest guy or the biggest guy to pull out a submission win. Factor in someone like Roy Nelson, yes he is big and strong but to take one look at him you'd figure he's some out of shape redneck. He's one of the best heavyweights in the sport right now, in large part to his well rounded ground game. Sure, he can pack a punch but if a bigger, more "athletically built" guy got him on the ground there's a very good chance Nelson could pull out a submission via a well placed arm bar or rear naked choke.

I think a lot of people get turned off by the ground game for 2 reasons .. the lame 'homo' comments and the few matches they see where the ground game just isn't that good. I fell under the seeing shitty matches category for a long time, but once I saw how tactical they can be I was hooked.

Roy Nelson was training UFC fighters for a long time before he decided to actually do it himself, I think if he really wants to go far into the division he will have to sacrifice some of his lifestyle to do it. Talkin about the eating and doing more cardio.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod