UFC 117

Daddio

Regular
Anyone watch this over the weekend?

I think Silva finally got his wakeup call everyone was bitchin he needed, can't believe after 4 1/2 rounds of getting beaten to crap he pulled out the submission! Sonnen totally deserves a rematch!

Too be honest, I was surprised at the outcome. I thought Silva was going to destroy Sonnen. But at the same time, I'm happy because hopefully this makes Silva shut up and start fighting.

Yeah no kiddin, this will hopefully give him a wakeup call. I love seeing the Silva that plows through his opponents, not dance around like a fool.

Exactly, the Griffin fight (an aside: Joe Silva? Really? You thought this would be a good match up?) was retarded. The dude is dancing, clowning around, offering Forrest a hand up. This isn't WWE...yet.

I didn't. Any cool injuries to tell about? I only watch it for that really. I always remember one time when one fighter literally punched one fatal punch for the win. When the loser got up and the winner had been claimed the winner etc, you saw the loser's face. there was thebiggest blood blister looking thing on his face!.....It was cool.

MattAY - it was a pretty bloody card!

* SPOILERS / RESULTS *

Roy Nelson vs. Junior Dos Santos - Santos beat the shit out of Nelson, but that dude has one hard head. Blood everywhere.

Rafael dos Anjos vs. Clay Guida - Guida caught Anjos at the end of a round with nice counter punches .. near the end of the following round Guida had Anjos against the cage, trying to improve his position. Guida shoulder bashed Anjos against the cage and he tapped right away. Turns out Guida fractured Anjos jaw with those previous punches and really F'd it up with the shoulder bash. (good amount of blood).

Stefan Struve vs. Christian Morecraft - This was on the dark card, but they showed it .. why you may ask? Because Morecraft beat the SHIT out of Struve, you gotta see this one if you want to see damage. Struve and Morecraft came at eachother to start round 2 and they exchanged huge blows, Struve KO'd Morecraft! Seriously, this was a sick fight and a must see.

Ricardo Almeida vs. Matt Hughes - Check the way Hughes put Almeida to sleep, never before seen in the UFC

Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen - Sonnen seriously spent almost the entire match pounding Silva to the ground, yet he didnt bleed (that I noticed). Silva caught Sonnen with a short elbow and Sonnen started to really bleed.

I'm on deck when people complain about how frequent the UFC throws out PPVs, but man, this was a gooder!

Green_Lantern said:
I only cared for UFC for about 5 seconds until c*** Lesnar beat Shane Carwin...

That was also another good match, Carwin proved that Lesnar can be beaten down .. and Lesnar proved that he doesn't have a glass chin like everyone was saying. Carwin also learnt that he has to pace himself, not everyone can be knocked out on an average time of 1m 10s.

Daddio said:
Anyone watch this over the weekend?

I think Silva finally got his wakeup call everyone was bitchin he needed, can't believe after 4 1/2 rounds of getting beaten to crap he pulled out the submission! Sonnen totally deserves a rematch!

yes watched it, yes curious as why a rematch?

He got beaten fair and square, yet denied that he tapped (again). Wtf. If the match was a close decision or some cases stupidly obvious (see; Edger - Penn, Machida - Shogun, Couture - Vera) then its fair game for a rematch, but just because he was winning at the time and got submitted is no call for a rematch,

Silva is just the fcking bomb. 4 round down and comes back with a submission in the 5th with less than a few minutes left is UFC history right there, not only that but his 12-0 undisputed clean sheet is unheard of. Notice how every round he came out hard despite having his face pumelled for 20 minutes? He still had a spring in his step.

lokness said:
yes watched it, yes curious as why a rematch?

He got beaten fair and square, yet denied that he tapped (again). Wtf. If the match was a close decision or some cases stupidly obvious (see; Edger - Penn, Machida - Shogun, Couture - Vera) then its fair game for a rematch, but just because he was winning at the time and got submitted is no call for a rematch,

Silva is just the fcking bomb. 4 round down and comes back with a submission in the 5th with less than a few minutes left is UFC history right there, not only that but his 12-0 undisputed clean sheet is unheard of. Notice how every round he came out hard despite having his face pumelled for 20 minutes? He still had a spring in his step.

I take nothing away from Silva, I too noticed how he came out at the beginning of every round and unloaded until he was taken down. Round 2, he came out, tossed a few good strikes then went for a flying kick (or possibly a knee) and Sonnen grabbed the leg and took him down. BUT, that being said, and without dogging on Silva as a fighter (cuz he is amazing) .. in his last couple of matches he hasn't seen a strong opponent. Sonnen gave Silva the best beating of his career, and as the announcers said several times, Sonnen was smart while ontop of Silva, he never hooked in, he forced Silva to move and Sonnen just rode him out.

Sonnen tapped, no doubt about it, he didn't hit Silvas leg 2-3 times, but he did make a clear single tap. He disputed it at first (dude was probably in shock), but if you rewatch the replay he says to the ref "I believe you". Was there an interview in the last day or so where he is now denying the tap? Because that would be sad to tarnish all the hard work he put into the fight.

If GSP and Penn get several rematches .. the last one being boring as hell, then Sonnen deserves one. He took on the giant that is Silva, the division which Silva has dominated unquestionably and he almost won.

One of the coolest things thought, Silva didn't bleed at all did he? After all those hits, but 2 elbows from Silva made Sonnen flow like a fountain. lol.

Don't mistaken me for some hardcore UFC or MMA fan, because I'm not nearly as 'involved' as I am with the NHL. I'm more between casual and hardcore, and I'd buy the PPV to see Silva v Sonnen 2 without thinking about the rest of the shit on the card.

Sonnen didnt do enough damage from the top, like you said he was wearing him out.

To me Silva didnt look the same. He came out heavy in all the rounds, but when you look at his previous fights he always waits the first minute for so just to gauge his opponent. I think Dana put heavy pressure on him to perform because he was threatened that he would get the boot, that and he underestimated Sonnens stand up game.

Silvas last 2 fights were crap, I agree he didnt really have any challenging opponents, but then again who is? Nate Marquate or whateverthefuck was tipped to be the man that could hang with him, but he got his ass beat by Sonnen - and Sonnen almost beat Silva! If there were ever to be a rematch between the 2 Silva would win hands down.

i wish UFC was as great as it was before it turned into what it is now. old fashioned street fights in a cage with no rules (except dont gouge eyes and hit in the nuts) and no wieght classses!!! it was awesome

^keepit...you know he's not going to stay.

Anyways, yeah Brock Lesnar does have some huge fist, didn't they special make his UFC gloves? Anyhow I only watch UFC when it's (mostly repeat fights) on, same with WEC. I however don't watch wrestling because...it's a man's soap operas and I don't like soap operas. Plus WWE is way unbelievable nowadays...did I really see a midget fight The Big Show? Yeah, I'm just going to stick with some that is REAL and not any acting.

Ugh, it's hard enough to give UFC credit for it's watered down PPVs 99% of the time (really .. 2 PPVs in August?!), but to bring WWE into the conversation just makes it a big bowl of shit soup! And no one likes shit soup! .. well except for the homeless, they'll eat anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod