Tier Lists

I'm bringing this back up because I just found a nifty video demonstrating the stats and the tier list for Street Fighter 4 on youtube. Apparently these stats and the whole list itself is from the strategy guide, according to the end of the video, but i'm not certain if that's true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PevTveHj9sE

For those who won't click the link, the breakdown is as follows

God Tier (S)- Sagat

Upper Tier (A)- Zangief, Ryu, Fei Long, M. Bison, Balrog, Blanka

Mid-High Tier (B)- Rufus, Akuma, Gouken, Seth, Chun-Li, Rose, Ken, Sakura

Mid-Low Tier (C)- El Fuerte, Gen, Dhalsim, Guile, Abel, Crimson Viper

Low Tier (D)- Cammy, E. Honda, Vega

Bottom Tier (F)- Dan

Dan's place is pretty much right, of course. and this is heavily debatable, but none the less, what do you think.

Personally, I feel that Sagat is so broken he deserves to be in the God Tier. Ryu and Balrog are debatable for A tier though, and I felt that Cammy is higher than Dhalsim and El Fuerte too., who should be in the low tier.

As for the three main secret characters, I find it interesting that they are lumped in the Mid-High tier.Some people I bet feel Akuma is higher up, of course, but he does seem fairly slower and weaker in this game.

So your thoughts guys?

I just looked up a Tekken 5 DR Tier list, and they have Yoshimitsu, my best character, at the bottom.

ahh, teir lists. me and my drinking buddies had something of the like back when tekken 3 came out. no hitting on the ground, let the the other guy up, no spaming of the same move, and above all else, i could not pick king. i guess a 7 throw combo was too much for em. it pretty much kept the game freindly, and really, when playing fairly, it did show who had more skill with what character.

Longo_2_guns said:
I just looked up a Tekken 5 DR Tier list, and they have Yoshimitsu, my best character, at the bottom.

yoshimitsu is only at the bottom cause most people dunmo how to handle him. yoshi is also one of my best. mine go like this:

hwoarang
yoshimitsu
heihachi
king
bryan
law

thats how i rank my boys

Yoshimitsu is great for going against bad players, because all you need to do is Ballerina Kick and then Sword Stab, and you've won.

Besides that, I know most of his good combos and his cheapest moves. Plus, he's the guy I started with 12 years ago today. I mastered Yoshimitsu, my friend mastered Law. I usually won.

Again though, Tier lists are sort of debatable. You can be a master of the weakest character and get really far, but even then you might still be an underdog to a skilled player who uses a high tier character.

It's all based on stats and things like that, with tourney wins of people who actually play the game, and actual gameplay statistics, such as how strong your character is, your reach, and so forth. But in the end it never means anything if your a skilled player.

LinksOcarina said:
For those who won't click the link, the breakdown is as follows

God Tier (S)- Sagat

Upper Tier (A)- Zangief, Ryu, Fei Long, M. Bison, Balrog, Blanka

Mid-High Tier (B)- Rufus, Akuma, Gouken, Seth, Chun-Li, Rose, Ken, Sakura

Mid-Low Tier (C)- El Fuerte, Gen, Dhalsim, Guile, Abel, Crimson Viper

Low Tier (D)- Cammy, E. Honda, Vega

Bottom Tier (F)- Dan

I agree with Sagat being in Sagat Tier.

I also agree with Upper Tier. All the Charge characters, Overpowered Zangief, Ryu is the Shoto Master, and Fei Long is a powerful character if you know how to use him.

I disagree with Mid-High Tier. Akuma should be in Upper (His Super is disgusting). As well, Cammy should be moved up to this Tier. She is too versatile to be any lower.

I also disagree with Mid-Low Tier and Low Tier. Replace E. Honda with El Fuerte and you have it right.

Technically, yes, Dan should be bottom Tier. But he's still a lot better than Vega.

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
Longo_2_guns said:

yoshimitsu is only at the bottom cause most people dunmo how to handle him. yoshi is also one of my best. mine go like this:

hwoarang
yoshimitsu
heihachi
king
bryan
law

thats how i rank my boys

I rather have it Hwoarang switch with Heihachi. Again its the matter of people not knowing how to use certain characters. This is how a Tier can be flawed. Not saying Teirs are a bad thing, it does help out a gamer choosing someone worthy. but, sometimes it still is misleading

LinksOcarina said:
Vega is pretty bad in this game, isn't he?

He's weak, he can make himself weaker, and his moves - while impressive looking - don't have enough punch. Cammy is far more versatile and easier to use, and all the characters in A Tier will just wreck the living hell out of him.

I think Tier lists are useless for the average joe. They only apply to players who are absolute gods at fighting games and can pull off 50,000 hit combos in their sleep. Anyone else can just pick any character, become good with him or her and own others pretty easily.

BUt I do agree that Zangief is ridiculous in SFIV. However, a Zangief player can easily be beat by staying outside of grappling range.

FrozenBacon said:
BUt I do agree that Zangief is ridiculous in SFIV. However, a Zangief player can easily be beat by staying outside of grappling range.
The problem is staying out of grappling range when his attacks have such a long reach and all of them can combo into that spinning green punch, which in turn can combo into his grapples.
It goes to show how a single move added to a character's arsenal can kick it from the bottom tiers all the way to the top

FrozenBacon said:

Not necessarily. A good Zangief player knows how to use his invincible charge manuever which then turns into rape. For those that don't know, you have to use up his Super bar to turn it on, he glows green, charges at his enemy, ignoring the first hit against him. It combos well into his... doesn't matter, his grabbing and taking 1/3 of your health away.

And usually being the grappler means your one of the lower tier characters. Zangief is proving that wrong by being so damn effective.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod