The problem with modern gaming

Man, his history is a bit off.

Also forgot the fact that there was a console flood going on, so you had ten or so different systems with ten or so variant games. It was the wild west of console ownership and it was insane.

As to the modern day comparisons, it is a second issue of growing pains, by 1984 the crash was due to oversaturation, by 2014, the oversaturation is moreso genre specific vs console specific. Throw in a recession and people think twice about buying the latest installment of Call of Duty.

LinksOcarina said:
Man, it sucks that a good business decision is your big problem.
Yep, because delaying your release so the plot is spoiled and the reviews are already out is a 'good' business decision.

They released Aliens: Colonial Marines at the same time for everything to try and get that sucker cash. THAT was a good business decision, if they had've released the PC version 3 months later they would have gotten all of 9 sales from youtubers making videos talking about how shit it is.

And hey, i'm sure it's worked for GTA5. Now a lot of people have seen the mess that is GTA:O and won't care about the multiplayer. And guess what happens when people only care about the single player experience in games? YAAAAR MATEYS

I used to be a big fan of Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation, then I got bored because all of his stuff is pretty much the same. Which is why people watch his stuff I suppose.

It does seriously suck when games get so hyped up and so much money is thrown into it and upon it's release it's actually quite disappointing. I get dragged onto the Hype Train quite easily and such disappointing titles for me include Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Mirror's Edge.

Regarding games coming out on PC later, that can be annoying too. Surely there must be reasons as to why the games come out on PC at a later stage. It seems understandable if the game comes out... I dunno, a month or so later, but coming out over a year later, it's obviously to try and reach a broader audience to try and make more money, although yeah there is certainly a risk of piracy.

My biggest beef with the gaming industry isn't so much what's been listed, but when developers make games tied in with their franchises but release these games on different consoles. Square Enix is a big culprit on this one with Kingdom Hearts, e.g. releasing a variety of KH games on different consoles. The GBA, the DS, 3Ds, PSP, PS2, now PS3 and soon PS4. It's so scattered. I can't really think of any other developers who do this though?

Master_Craig said:
My biggest beef with the gaming industry isn't so much what's been listed, but when developers make games tied in with their franchises but release these games on different consoles. Square Enix is a big culprit on this one with Kingdom Hearts, e.g. releasing a variety of KH games on different consoles. The GBA, the DS, 3Ds, PSP, PS2, now PS3 and soon PS4. It's so scattered. I can't really think of any other developers who do this though?

The Castlevania series comes to mind.

I get the impression that because so much money is pumped into developing new games, there's a lot of apprehension towards innovation. When it's "sink or swim" it's hard to put faith in a brand new style of direction. Therefore, you see the revival of old formulas and game franchises that sold well in the past. It's like that new Black Sabbath album, '13'. Rick Rubin sat down and said, "Hey guys, do what you did in the 70's." And as a result it's just ok..... It's not terrible, but it's nothing special.

The stuff he was talking about in that video is old news. Nothing really mind blowing or really even thought provoking about it.

Nintendo or Microsoft marketing their systems as general entertainment machines isn't them hiding the fact they are gaming consoles, it's just trying to market to as broad an audience as possible.

That kind of stuff has been going on for as long as "marketing" has been a thing.

He kind of lacked making any kind of point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133