Dear EA, about those syndicate rumors...

Lien

Rookie
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112938-Syndicate-Remake-Revealed-as-a-Shooter-UPDATED
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF*** YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU!

In other news, this topic is now about syndicate, my favorite game of all time (and I'm being serious here)
600full-syndicate-cover.jpg

Also how it was made by bullfrog, lead design by peter molyneux, based on ghost in the shell and blade runner and also the fact that IT WAS NOT A FPS! AND CERTAINLY NOT A DEUX EX CLONE!

Favorite mission, in syndicate: New south Wales, In syndicate wars: Eurocorp: mission 6

I'm already writing an editorial on this, but I see no problem with the reboot, that has apparently been the works for some time now anyway.

I know what you mean link, the game IS pretty much made, the screens looks good and it's starbreeze studios who got a good history of cults game, it's an honor for them and us to relive the franchise. Heck, i still gonna try the game. It's just not the syndicate game sequel i'd hope for more then 20 years, not the "selected!" sounds i love to hear nor the persuadtron tactics that'd even the odds in the sewers levels, all which revolutionized the gaming world in the early 90's. This... It's just... average!
That and the lack of peter molyneux in the team makes me sad

Now ask yourself, won't it be refreshing to see a squad base game with a ghost in the shell vibe then another random FPS these days? a game who i'd like to point out have no moral compass what's so ever, you are the typical corporate goon doing the dirty capitalist work in a dystopian cyborg world and no "Oh my god! we were evil all along!" plots that's gonna be predictable?
My answer, i'd rather see an indie company make a HD update of the game and release it just for the ipads to the masses then just for the "hardcore crowd" who basically never tasted sophisticated food in decades. The sells won't live up to this FPS counter part but at least us fans and the new players could relate to each other.

And darn it! I'm not usually the ranter! I'm always the optimistic guy! i just love the old game so much!

Is it okay that I've never heard of Syndicate? The new game looks good though, so get over it.

Lien said:
cyberjim2000 said:
Diabolus said:
Syndicate? Sounds like some boring, overrated PC game.

How can a game be "overrated" if no one heard of it outside of DOS enthusiasts?

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/syndic ... dicate.htm
Touché.
Find it funny that people is willing to poke and fun on things they never heard of. I could of make fun of him but then i just remembered Diabolus is awesome. You off the hook buddy. :D

Aw, I was just funning you guys.

Well...I wrote my editorial on the whole thing with Syndicate and XCOM over on the site I work for...

If you guys want to read it the here it is: titled When "Reboot" is a Dirty WordSuffice to say, I get why everyone is so upset over Syndicate and XCOM and other games, but at the same times it really is nothing new and the accusations are superficially based, to be honest.[/url]

LinksOcarina said:
Well...I wrote my editorial on the whole thing with Syndicate and XCOM over on the site I work for...

If you guys want to read it the here it is: titled When "Reboot" is a Dirty WordSuffice to say, I get why everyone is so upset over Syndicate and XCOM and other games, but at the same times it really is nothing new and the accusations are superficially based, to be honest.
Interesting article, although the last paragraph almost sounds like a PR in front of a podium. Still got some nice points that can bash fanboyism like Mjolner on a salt statue. Made me change my opinions on certain subjects as well! Now I'm gonna post my counter argument to that article later on today but there's something i want to point out here first (that and i got stuff to do today, gimme a break!) Anyway...

I feel insulted that you'd compare tom raider and civilization to Syndicate or X-com even though they are all great game. Those two games had at least recognition for the past decades, while the corporate and alien hunting tactical squad game has been somewhat absent in gamers mind since the start of the century (if you don't count the spiritual successors like say UFO: Aftermath). But the thing is well... the only reason those games were kept alive was thanks to us! It was us die hard fans who kept playing the game, freely giving it away to people since it's lost in the abandonware world. Why didn't they take other game of the same Dos era and turn it into a FPS like say Warwind? or even Z? Heck, a FPS version of Z would sound great! But no, they chose Syndicate, and there's two reasons i think i know why. The following is just my thoughts.

My first reason they chose syndicate is the most plausible and the obvious one: EA still own the rights to Syndicate after all those years. They must of looked over their list of still retain license rights. Pointed it out and ask Starbreeze "hey! you wanna make something out of this?". Deep in my heart, i really wish it was the other way around: that Starbreeze jumped through the windows of EA offices with a machete in their mouth, stabbed the security guard and banged the secretary while bullets ran ablaze over their heads and all this so they could take E.A hostage to ask... no DEMAND the right to develop the sequel to syndicate. But alas, my imagination breaks into pieces when i realize that the only achievement the studio made that was extraordinary were cult classics, not games that sell much (they sold ok and they got a fanbase, they should be proud!), but just games that either went under the radar just to resurface later on or that one game that was dark and experimental. They hardly had a foot to stand on to the colossus company who sold billions of game worldwide and had a history of lay-offs. Don't get me wrong! I believe them when starbreeze said they are hardcore fans of the games and from the looks from the screenshot they did a good job proving it! No, it was just E.A who presented them with syndicate first and they just so happen to be fans, that is my opinion.

And now the second reason: Brand recognition. "WAAAAAAAAIIIIT A MINUTE!" you'll ask me with a sexy voice. "Just scroll this topic up! like 4 comments here are from people who never even herd of the game! how can it be brand recognition?". Well first off, sexy, this is my opinion so shut up and Segundo because you can digest this easier. Here Let me make a metaphor: Imagine two cakes both look identical. Ok, and now someone is trying to sell them to you and he is aware that there are millions of other cakes in the store, you just want only one of these two. The first cake has no ingredients you've heard of, it had a good detail description though and it sounds interesting. The second cake, you've never herd of either! it got the same description, ingredients and yadayada. However! It got this one name... you've ALSO never herd of but the guy next to you will say "Hey! my grandma loved that cake!" You'll turn to the guy and ask him more, he'll tell you everything he knows, maybe even comment on the cake. Now these two cakes seems really different all of a sudden, and you can only buy one of them... which will you choose? You can wear your hipster glasses and say you'll buy the unknown one but even if you do, you've fell in the brand recognition marketing pitch. And that's my second reason why they picked the game, cause us fanboy will either speak out, positive or negative, about the game and it'll help other folks decide. It's a safer bet marketing wise then if we remained silent.

Now, i doubt Starbreeze or EA knew in advance that lots of fan boys (not all!) are frowning on this. Heck, i doubt they do really care about them, it's the bigger public they are interested in! But judging from Starbreeze statement, i believe they were shocked that some opinions were negative... too bad there are so few of us! Don't believe me?
Neil McEwan said:
I don't want people to stop playing the old games, but time has moved on.

Imagine if this was a zelda game he was talking about or even mario, you can imagine a lynching mob already. And yet, he can get away saying that cause it's true: there are so few of us. There is nothing i can defend myself cause that statement is the truth, every thing i'll say bout the game will just bounce back...I can only just watch the world move on, sit down and shut up, it'll be the same effect. And that is my second reason... This topic was made Not to say the remake will suck, but to talk about the old syndicate... cause now us syndicate fanboys don't have any uses no more, we have to move on.
*Puts away his syndicate flag in a plastic bag in the attic, Plays david bowie's " Changes" and goes on gamestop to preorder both X-com and syndicate*

Ok, when I'll get back from work, get ready for a wall of text link! ROAR!

um...sorry for insulting?

At least that is the response I was hoping to get, something intelligent back, instead of a few hate mails in my mailbox and snide comments in the post...

And hell, Starbreeze is defending their stance on Syndicate anyway, I don't have the link anymore but someone showed me they made a post about their thoughts on rebooting the franchise and why it will be a good game.

Oh, and Zelda and Mario did have remakes already, thats what Zelda II and Super Mario Bros. are.

LinksOcarina said:

At least that is the response I was hoping to get, something intelligent back, instead of a few hate mails in my mailbox and snide comments in the post...

And hell, Starbreeze is defending their stance on Syndicate anyway, I don't have the link anymore but someone showed me they made a post about their thoughts on rebooting the franchise and why it will be a good game.

Oh, and Zelda and Mario did have remakes already, thats what Zelda II and Super Mario Bros. are.

If there is something I've learned, it's that you should never expect intelligence, just be pleasantly surprised when you receive it.

Bretimus_v2 said:
LinksOcarina said:

If there is something I've learned, it's that you should never expect intelligence, just be pleasantly surprised when you receive it.
Yeah gotta admit, still angry on the approach they made for the game (why a FPS! WHY!) but i may have jumped on the band wagon a little too early, i'm not a kid, i'm an adult. This is still a video game we are talking about!
I AM actually excited that we ARE getting a sequel. Maybe it'll get more people into the franchise instead of ignoring/forgetting it. Still wish it wasn't a FPS though... and that Molyneux, the guy who made the first game possible, still has nothing to say on this.... also that it wasn't a FPS... did i say that already?
Now you see, i planned to make an entire essay on why this syndicate game ( Xcom too i guess) doesn't follow the traditional reboot we've been through these past years (like fallout or Castlevania) but i think, I'll make my first GR blog to explain it more in detail. Tomorow maybe, check the vox box

Anyway! Back on topic! Let's observe with what we got so far on the new syndicate game and compare it to the old (a reason to finally show off how much i am a fan of the franchise, Bout time!).
I can say, judging by the early info, Starbreeze did their research. Don't know who Richard Morgan is but he made crysis 2 so props to him!
syndicate_key_art.jpg

Hey! trench coats and mouth guards! whooho!

The game is set in 2069... This is new to me cause syndicate never had a date! just this weird clock that doesn't make it clear if we were in 2185 or 3185. heck we only knew the last three digits at best, it could of been the year 10000! Either way it confirms it's a prequel (*shudders*). The cover art shows the traditional clothing I've grown and loved. From what i understand, we gonna follow an "Experimental engineered agent" called Miles Kilo. By experimental i'm guessing he's the first "syndicate agent". I'm assuming it's him in on the cover and in the following pic
RieGn.jpg

So far by the logo on his chest i can tell he's Euro corp. Why they pick that generic corporation logo and not the bullfrog is a mystery to me (Bullfrog production may be dead but the rights are still own by E.A. Come on! grow some pairs here!). Now euro corp is the mainly British techno-megalo-corporation that supposedly taken control of the chip market in the sequel, syndicate wars. Remember that in the first game you had to name the corporation you are running, euro corp was just the default name but euro corp became the official name in syndicate wars. Either way, euro corp, in the sequels at least, controlled the space elevator to the moon built in London, stopping the moon in orbit and cause the ocean waves to be still (remember, this is science fiction... not science). Miles here, hardly looks threatening or non-human-like, You know like how the agents are suppose to be! He does share their haircuts but didn't dye it... it was normaly the agent's style in the game (to parody Japanese culture). I was gonna say the lack of trench coats on him in the pic makes me rage but then we got this next one here...
heCvh.jpg

Now beside Starbreeze teasing us with the trademark mini-gun that popularize the franchise, i notice the extra fabrics on his sleeves... could it be the famous trench coats like the one on the cover? And by the way, i have NO idea what those huh... flying scooters are... we had hover cars that replaced wheels that flew around the city. Those huh... hoverbike seems out of place to me... A nod to Akira maybe?
uaS6e.jpg

Now THIS pic... ahh yes... lots of history here. This here proves that starbreeze DID their research and did well. That, my friend, is the last mission of the original syndicate game, the fabled Atlantic accelerator! THE hardest level of the 90's after the same level on the expansion pack American revolt. That base here isn't an oil ring... oh no, it's the reverse, it's the reason WHY people are wearing those chips:
Ok so in the future, the resource is rare, and i really mean it. No more trees, no more mountains, cities everywhere, people starving, yada yada. This research base is suppose to solve the energy crisis, and it did by turning the entire ocean into oil... let that sink in... With the sea water populated like heck, people found the real world too ugly that they wear those chips to live in a reality world. And, just like in ghost in the shell (the main inspiration of the game) those chips are easily hacked. That's where these agents steps in to make sure the cattle... huh people stay in control and to take control of the accelerator. The whole game is a war front for all the existing corporation in the entire franchise over the control of the human mind and the minerals of earth. This base IS the purpose of the entire syndicate war!
Yeah, back on the pic, i don't see any oil just normal clean sea water, this definitely confirms a prequel. But i see no tides either... so the space elevator is built?

Now the other pics are what i call... "crappy generic shooter that no one cares about" I swear to god if we have shoulder cover based shooting and the enemies are speaking russian... and i know the other factions were already based on stereotypes!, still!
0Ip0V.jpg
w0YhB.jpg

j13jD.jpg

Gotta admit, that last pics almost looks like a film... a film i waited 20 years for people to make but noooo... another FPS please! GRRRR!
Anyway, i'm rolling my eyes on all of this but I'm still gonna try the game for the sake of nostalgia. The lack of Japanese touch, the fact it's a FPS and molyneux not being around are bad points. I'm guessing so far the plot is gonna touch "character feelings" and evolve more on how big mega corporation are evil then actually taking the role of an evil mega corporation, like a modern Dungeon keeper. I doubt we'll see the church of nine or the unguided either. Nevertheless, supposedly the swedish magazine Gamereactor is gonna have more info so I'm gonna keep an open mind as it is now... barely... *throws a dagger on the EA logo on his wall*

Thoughts GR?

Imagine if George Lucas decided to say, "Fuck it!" and remake the original trilogy to appeal to the newer generation. New cast, new cgi effects, a slightly modified story. The whole nine yards. I'm sure the fans would be furious.

That being said, there's a couple of games that are reboots that I am looking forward to. Like the Mechwarrior reboot.

cyberjim2000 said:
Imagine if George Lucas decided to say, "f*** it!" and remake the original trilogy to appeal to the newer generation. New cast, new cgi effects, a slightly modified story. The whole nine yards. I'm sure the fans would be furious.

That being said, there's a couple of games that are reboots that I am looking forward to. Like the Mechwarrior reboot.

He did, thats what the blu-ray DVDs are.

But look at it this way; id rather the reboot than a full on HD remake of something....and yes...i'm refering to FF X so sorry to be a bearer of hate...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133