The A+ Game

uncletiki

Rookie
Given GR's known high standards in ranking, we are seen with some of our favorite games getting B rankings and some are most cherished games in the A to A- rankings.

And given the turmoil of the recent mistake in the A+ ranking, this prompts me to ask the rest of the GR community, what would be your A+ game, what elements should it have, how should it be done, multi-player, online capabilities, etc.

I really don't think that it's possible to give a game an A+. I don't even think that my favorite game, Beyond Good & Evil, is worth an A+ (simply because that game was 10 hours long).

I think it's possible, but it's also unlikely.

In my mind, only 3-4 games deserve the A+, and some of them are not even conventional games you would think of.

Banjo Kazooie comes to mind for me. It had everything when it was released, grat graphics, fun story, awesome gameplay, and unique sounds and experiences. Its one of the few games I played religiously, for a WHOLE summer, just to beat it, and get everything perfect, plus to find all the secrets. I have done that with few games, because few games capture me like that now a days, and even in the past. Ocarina of Time was another one that did that for me, as well, and numerous people noticed it for that game, thats why it's proclaimed as one of the best ever made.

So it is possible, but unlikely because the GR staff always looks at something they can nitpick on, which makes them good. No game will ever be perfect, but some games come so close, it makes you wonder about the flaws they do mention in their reviews, is it true or not.

So in my mind, we may see the A+ soon, or never at all. Because some games out there are definitly in a league of their own in the end.

By GR's standards, the game would have to be fun, awe inspiring, outstanding, and most importantly it would have to be few reused ideas.

some fine mentions!

FF8 i played without sleep when i first got it.
and that's the only game that's been able to do that for me....so that's my A+

great story, sophisticated gameplay. not too boring. although nothing new....but GR can kiss my ass on that one really, why change what no one has complained about?

An A+ rating would be for a game that had absolutely no draw backs. A game that you would play and play and play some more and after you have beaten it repeatedly you still think, "this is such a great game".

A game that is great to look at, that has a story that draws you in, that is fun to play, a game that is enjoyable to beat.

A+? in our minds of course our favorite games comes to mind for this, but can there really be a perfect game without flaws or glitches? This A+ ranking is only GR's opinion on that game but in fact there are those games that live up to those expectations we think diserve GR's A+ stamping. If the rating is based on glitches or somthing thats not game related then whats the point? Theres always been games that we can play over and over again and im with him on the Ocarina of Time, that was a good game.

Shadow of The Colossus is worthy of the A+, just because of it's originality, then you have the graphics, the story, and the amazing action.

That's the only game I think should get the coveted A+.

Man, I don't see GR giving an A+ anytime in the near future. But there are a few hopeful titles.

Mass Effect anyone?

I think my coveted A+ games would have to be Grand Theft Auto 3 for immersing me in a world of witty/black/satirical humor that mixed a mafioso storyline with intrigue, espionage, and general mayhem. If it were a movie, it'd be better than Heat.

Another would have to be, despite my fingers wishing I could not type this... Ocarina of Time. I played that game for a whole summer to beat it. The puzzles truly challenged me, and there was once or twice where I needed to confide in a friend in order to pass a certain section. I slept all day and wa sawake all night playing that stupid fucking game. It was also incredibly gratifying to see the ending cinematic, with Link and Zelda back to their younger selves and in the garden where all of the trouble began. There was something satisfying about that.

Ogre Battle 64 in my opinion, is the quintessential roleplaying game. It had a fantastic, branching storyline, multiple endings, a smart-if-sometimes-difficult combat system, and most of all, immersed you in the world and made you believe that you were the avatar provided for a few hours a day. It was one of the few games where the characters around me became important, and I cherished them like I would my real friends. I mourned the losses, and punished the offenders. A stunning game that really, despite it's cartoonish graphics, should never be forgotten.

Another will have to be Metal Gear Solid 2/3. Epic, cinematic, and well crafted storylines with such a deeper meaning than what you'd expect to see in our medium. They truly blew me away in ways I thought never possible before.

And I think, last but certainly not least... BioShock, but just barely. This game had a few graphical hitches (twitching of dead bodies that were obviously the result of the rag doll physics), and, most of all, it was over too soon. Sure it was a 15-20 hour game, but I just wanted to stay in Rapture... and not to mention the ending cinematics. While definitely satisfying and leaving you with a sense of fulfillment, you just wish it could've lasted a little longer.

Those are my A+ games.

NjNakedSnake said:
Shadow of The Colossus is worthy of the A+, just because of it's originality, then you have the graphics, the story, and the amazing action.

That's the only game I think should get the coveted A+.
I love Shadow of the Colossus, it's a work of art. However, it's a little short to get the A+.

If there were 30 colossus, it would have been the greatest game of all time. Especially if they kept up how all 16 colossus were different.

Longo_2_guns said:
If there were 30 colossus, it would have been the greatest game of all time. Especially if they kept up how all 16 colossus were different.
Yes, that many more colossus would have made the game absolutely amazing. Of course, as you stated, they would all have to remain different.

Actually, 16 was more than enough. Half of those monsters took up to 4-5 hours just to figure out where the weaknesses were.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle