Spammers and Post Counts

I mentioned this in a few other topics already, mostly the ones that have been closed, the ones in Misc. by people such as aaarose (who was banned earlier) selling counterfeit shoes and other stuff. Instead of repeatedly closing these topics and banning the offenders (eventually) I believe we should just set a post count unlock to be able to create new topics. I thought it should be fairly low as to deter spammers, but not to be daunting to real posters trying to join the forum, so maybe 5 posts should be made before a topic can be created. I don't think it would be too difficult to code, either; hell, if you don't want to spend the time on it, I've been learning some script and might be able to come up with something. Anyway, I hope you take this into consideration because all the spamming that's coming up here is starting to piss me off.

Meh, if a topic is about selling you shoes, then don't go in it. It will be closed eventually.

Shit, at least somebody is making topics. This place is dead.

I'd say 50 just so spammers don't spam 5 topics to create their own. Also, if you're new here after 50 posts we're kinda getting to know and respect you

Surely setting a post count to make a topic will just make these spammers spam in existing topics rather than making new topics?

Secondly, how mch wood could a wood chuck chuck, if a wood chuck could chuck wood?

It's fine as it is, you have me now guys. I am your mod cushion, feel free to rest on me.

MattAY has the right idea. The only thing that would potentially work is having them spell out a word when registered - Such as on the avs forums today, it had said "spell the number 5". But Duke hates that. So who knows. Either way, a ban is just a button press away.

Oh and yeah...Stop posting in those topics.

Duke hates them for good reason, they're annoying as hell. Especially the ones that verify you every 4 pages, and you can never tell if it's an O or a 0 or a G or C or a 6 or G, the list goes on.

I'm pretty sure the CAPTCHA option on these boards just verifies upon registration rather than each time you log in. The problem is though, these spammers are such low volume even if they are bots they could easily be replaced by real people, making CAPTCHAs useless.

We've had spammers far worse than these in the past and I'm sure we'll get them in the future and they will vanish like the others. In the mean time just let the mods do their job and follow Lethean's advice: don't post in the topics!

Sam

maca2kx said:
In the mean time just let the mods do their job and follow Lethean's advice: don't post in the topics!
Why?

What, will we get the ~15 new topics created in a hour or so to push the topic down?

First you explain to me the logic of complaining incessantly that the boards are being spammed once a day but consistently posting in the spam topics.

Sam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle