Songs You Want to See (Play) on GH/RB

Here's an idea I think we can all get behind:

Let Rock Band and Guitar Hero take the Audiosurf route: Every song ever is playable. Upload a song from your iTunes or whatever you use to play your music, and the game automatically generates a playable version of it for your game. But instead of a track that undulates and block-collects to the beat of the song, you get a Guitar Hero/Rock Band style play.

If done right, we'd never have to worry about what songs will be featured in a future music game, ever again.

And as a failsafe, if you don't like how the game interpreted your song of choice, you can edit it to your liking.

Pretty much with Squiggy on this one, even came to say it, but since it would be repeating and reiterating, I'll just say that I would enjoy some Thin Lizzy, the kind that Phil Lynott was actually around for.
If for no other reason than, I just really love some of those songs.

(If there already are these songs in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, then I have absolutely no idea and still don't feel like googling beyond a few links to find out.)

Squiggy said:
Here's an idea I think we can all get behind:

Let Rock Band and Guitar Hero take the Audiosurf route: Every song ever is playable. Upload a song from your iTunes or whatever you use to play your music, and the game automatically generates a playable version of it for your game. But instead of a track that undulates and block-collects to the beat of the song, you get a Guitar Hero/Rock Band style play.

If done right, we'd never have to worry about what songs will be featured in a future music game, ever again.

And as a failsafe, if you don't like how the game interpreted your song of choice, you can edit it to your liking.

Problem with that though is that it won't ever happen, because that type of software will never fly with the developers, hardcore fans, and the musicians themselves.

That is the dream, Squiggy. But there are just too many issues with copyrights, unimaginably powerful software required, etc. Fun dream though.

And what is Audiosurf?

There's an iPod game called Phase that does the sort of thing Squiggy mentioned. You put a song into the Phase playlist on iTunes, and it converts it into playable format. You can then load it up onto your iPod and 'play' the song.

used44 said:
And what is Audiosurf?

Audiosurf is like... I guess you could say a musical racing puzzle sort of game. Its actually really awesome.

You control a spaceship/hover car thing on a long track. The object is to collect as many points as you can by grabbing colored blocks, or combo like-colored blocks (and a few other variations depending on what 'car' you choose). The shape of the track and the position of the blocks you collect are generated entirely by the sound data of a whatever song you upload. Every song you upload has a completely unique track in Audiosurf.

Upload a fast-paced or wild song, the track will go really fast and have lots of turns and hills and drops. Likewise, a slower song will have a calmer track. And all of these twists and turns are to the beat of the song.

You can upload any song you want, too. Anyone else who's played that song will appear on high-score lists, too, so you can compete to be the top score on your favorite song, whatever that song may be.

It's really cool, and a lot better to actually play it, or at least see it in motion (you can look up some videos on Youtube). I played it as a beta at first, but right now you can get the final version for $10 on Valve's Steam service.

And yeah, the copyrights and stuff would be too big to let this sort of idea move into Rock Band or Guitar Hero, which is really too bad, because it would be an awesome feature to have. I don't think processing power would really be an issue, considering Audiosurf actually creates the full 3-D tracks based on the songs you give it, and a Guitar Hero/Rock Band game would only really have to generate how the notes are placed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod