Requesting Ranking System

The custom avatar thing is cool but it would be nice if you guys made some kind of ranking system here.Its fun to see yourself advancing up.So any plans of one?

Yeah we are definately planning on adding a ranking system. We always thought it was way cool to give nerds a chance to gloat about their "L33T" Status in a forum.

Oh wait a minute. I am not a member of the GR staff. Crap, ignore this post.

I'm....Kind of with Toy on this one. I'm not going to call anyone a nerd in a negative way because seriously...We're all posting on a video game messageboard forum. So non-nerd elitism should take a backseat...Or better yet, be buried in the trunk of a car as if Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro put it there, cause you know it ain't coming out for a long time if they put it there.

Anyways, rank is really a minor part of this site. You come here for the community and the people, not so much the fancy name below you right? Granted they can turn on a naming system, and have a custom option for those not wishing it but why bother really? It's such a small part, and the staffs focus, I'm sure, is to appeal to as many people a spossible. I'd place bets on it that in order to do that, some things we preferred on the older, yet less visited(only time wil ltell) boards had to go. The GM's probably saw them as minor things in the grand scehme of it all, and had figured we'd learn to adapt. It isn't all about us old poster's. Now no one can really use rank as a way to judge someone's "newbness" either. Hopefully it will have more of an emphasis on quality over crap.

Welcome the change mate, and be thankful they nerfed ranks and not your account.

Aww c'mon WR, it was always the "small" things about GR that always made it different, gave it that certain appeal over other forums.

Anyway, I believe a ranking system can be done here as well, and pretty easily enough by the looks of things, but if things do head that way, it wont be for a while yet. I don't think there will be too many significant changes to the forums until the other GM's have time to mosey on over and spend some time with their programmers looking around. There's only so much I can do (but believe me, I'm looking for fun features) without them, and the time just isn't conducive to do anything but make sure the forums are running smoothly.

That being said...look, I'm 1337!

*chuckles*

/\ You said there won't be any significant changes for a while, does that include post counts? I'm not overly fussed but I would prefer to get my old post count back and since dUKE said we would be getting them, and the newly re-registered posters have got their posts...

Sam

I think we'll get them soon maca. As WR said, who cares if we get the ranking system back? Sure, it would be nice but it isn't a necessity. But i suppose anything to link us back with the old gr would be nice. I still wish i got a chance to get to the other ranks :(.

The post counts will be yours once I get my sacraficial virgin.

You knew the rules when you signed the contract, don't make me get my lawer. He's from Bolt.

White_Rabbit said:
I'm....Kind of with Toy on this one. I'm not going to call anyone a nerd in a negative way because seriously...We're all posting on a video game messageboard forum. So non-nerd elitism should take a backseat...Or better yet, be buried in the trunk of a car as if Joe Pesci and Robert DeNiro put it there, cause you know it ain't coming out for a long time if they put it there.

Anyways, rank is really a minor part of this site. You come here for the community and the people, not so much the fancy name below you right? Granted they can turn on a naming system, and have a custom option for those not wishing it but why bother really? It's such a small part, and the staffs focus, I'm sure, is to appeal to as many people a spossible. I'd place bets on it that in order to do that, some things we preferred on the older, yet less visited(only time wil ltell) boards had to go. The GM's probably saw them as minor things in the grand scehme of it all, and had figured we'd learn to adapt. It isn't all about us old poster's. Now no one can really use rank as a way to judge someone's "newbness" either. Hopefully it will have more of an emphasis on quality over crap.

Welcome the change mate, and be thankful they nerfed ranks and not your account.
If I thought that the ranking system was a necessity for me to post here I wudnt have been postin after the changes were made.However small things like seeing your meaningless ranks increase makes thing look more excitin.
And if you were to differentiate new posters from old ones you can do so without the rankin system by lookin at the post count.
Its ok guys take your time with everythin we'll always be here

/\ I just had a vision of you stepping into a room like the Halo room in Minority Report and, after typing in a list of specifications, pulling up the perfect sacrificial virgin.

Wow, and I haven't watched that film in ages.

Sam

I personally much prefer personalised avatars. The very concept of an avatar is that it is supposed to represent its user (look it up if you want to learn something). However, I think a certain rank system would also be good. I know this has been done in many forums, but I'm a fan of the "pip" system... your rank is represented by a certain amount of dots (or whatever) below your avatar. It's subtle, efficient, and the FPS junkies will love the military connotation.

there is a new and improved ranking system coming. we're just working out the behind the scenes porgramming to make it all work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod