really?

Daddio

Regular
One of the adds right on the front page is .. Diablo 3 Gold, 15 minute delivery or free!! Man that makes GR look like a shit website. Why do they even allow this crap to be promoted??

All I ever see is the Eve Online ad. And I accidentally click on it at least once a day.

If we didn't advertise crap, the world would be a happier place. And we can't have that. No way José.

As I understand it, the more you visit GR, the lower value the ads get. In other words, we only get paid for the first... say 5 times you view any given ad. So if you keep coming back *thank you* you'll see different ads.

I see the EVE Online ad a lot, I see a lot of PSAs. I understand that some of them might not be all that flattering, but I do want to say that we appreciate that you don't have adblock on while you're visiting GR.

At least our videos don't have tampon pre-roll commercials anymore :p

All I see now is ads for the Washington State Lottery. Which I'm fine with, because they're not annoying as fuck.

I'd love to run GR without ADBlock, but the last time i tried that i was about to click on a link on the front page when a douche ad expanded over it, taking me away from GR while at the same time opening 2 more tabs, 1 of which spawned a firefox popup asking me if i really wanted to download 'Freevirusscan2012.exe'.

Seems legit.

And more recently (that is to say, 40 seconds ago) i tried to click on a link on the front page, but due to a faggot popup ad a full 1/2 the main page became unclickable.

I mean, come the fuck on. I'm all for ads if they're out of the way, relevant and help the website, but when they actively damage my browsing experience they can get stuffed.

Re-open the GR store with good shit and i'll effectively give you the same money as 200 ad clicks every other day.

madster111 said:
I'd love to run GR without ADBlock, but the last time i tried that i was about to click on a link on the front page when a douche ad expanded over it, taking me away from GR while at the same time opening 2 more tabs, 1 of which spawned a firefox popup asking me if i really wanted to download 'Freevirusscan2012.exe'.

Seems legit.
I remember when that happened. It was giving my Mom's PC a trojan.In fact, here's a screen of what it looked like.
22759_104643629562325_100000500658428_120553_6775131_n.jpg

Thankfully, I haven't had that happened again.

I'm loving the...I think it's "Tearn" MMORPG ad at the moment. I think having a female character with her ass turned towards you and a stamp saying "FREE" on her right cheek is immense advertising.

I mentioned something similar a little while ago. When reading articles about say swtor there would always be an ad up in the corner selling credits for the game which I thought was a bit less than classy for a gaming site.

More recently (last week) reading some front page stuff would give an ad that started across the bottom of the screen and if I tried to ignore it, would expand by itself to cover half of the screen and annoyed the everliving fuck outta me. Those types I can do without, tyvm.

Aside from gold spam ads and hostile screen real estate take over ads, nothing else jumps out at me as overly offensive to the eyes.

UghRochester said:
I'm pretty sure this is how GR makes some revenue.

You can make money by being incredibly annoying until people pay you to stop but it doesn't mean you should (or that it's a solid business plan). Ads are an unfortunate necessity so perhaps best not to make worse an already irritating thing.

danielrbischoff said:
As I understand it, the more you visit GR, the lower value the ads get. In other words, we only get paid for the first... say 5 times you view any given ad. So if you keep coming back *thank you* you'll see different ads.

I see the EVE Online ad a lot, I see a lot of PSAs. I understand that some of them might not be all that flattering, but I do want to say that we appreciate that you don't have adblock on while you're visiting GR.

At least our videos don't have tampon pre-roll commercials anymore :p

So... effectively you're thanking us for repeat visits by giving us gradually shitter ads? Awesome, I may just continually refresh to see how long it takes to get to the mail order brides and Nigerian prince scams.

I'm sure we'd love to continue sending the valueable good-looking ads at your screen Maca, but the fact is that advertisers only pay for so many views by the same individual. It'll be true of any site you visit really. They'll start showing PSAs and ads for their own content eventually (which GR does as well, noticed a "Follow GR on Twitter" box ad recently?)

Regardless, if you guys ever have any feedback on the ads or ANYTHING on the site, remember to put it in GRandmasters. I'm lurking in every area of the site, but posting here is one way to ensure that everyone sees it.

Before I got adblock I got mostly ads for really sleazy looking dating sites and localised ad crap.

Out of curiosity I took adblock off and got somekind of holiday deals in Russian. Really no problem, but their cheap design is a real eyesore in contrast to GR's design.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle