Rather play old games.

I've found Pilotwings 64 to be way less fun than I remember it being when I was younger.

used44 said:
I've found Pilotwings 64 to be way less fun than I remember it being when I was younger.

I haven't played it in many many years. Maybe when I get my hands on it I'll agree with you.

One thing I DO notice, is I find almost all the games I used to find challenging are much much easier now. I can't remember how long it took me to get 120 Stars in Mario 64 the first time. A year? Played through it recently, finished in like, a week. I used to think games were getting easier. Now I'm starting to think that playing Video Games for 23 years might have had an effect on that particular curve...

Rinnon said:
used44 said:

I haven't played it in many many years. Maybe when I get my hands on it I'll agree with you.

One thing I DO notice, is I find almost all the games I used to find challenging are much much easier now. I can't remember how long it took me to get 120 Stars in Mario 64 the first time. A year? Played through it recently, finished in like, a week. I used to think games were getting easier. Now I'm starting to think that playing Video Games for 23 years might have had an effect on that particular curve...

So your saying games now are harder and challenging? Thats why most games now take less than a day to beat?? C'mon wake up. The only reason Mario is so easy now is because YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT TO DO. Most games that come out now that are considered LONG titles are like 18 hours..WTF. Games are easier now because even grandma wants to play a bit of COD and that damn Mario plumber you were so fond of as a child..Grandma and Granpa are hip now..and so is the difficulty. You got Very Hard, Hard, Normal, Easy, Very Easy...and Mainstream..the lowest of the low. Like BioShock...seriously?..follow the arrow and get cloned the whole time so you never die. Am I missing something here? Sure there is exceptions like Demons Souls and the like but those are few and far between imo. Just my 2 cents dawgs.

Remember how awesome Sonic Adventure was? Well, go play it now and you'll find out just how well it has aged over the years. Like Daniel B already said, this is an open and shut case of Rose-Tinted Goggles. Nothing more, nothing less.

Games do things now that we didn't even dream of 10 years ago. Perhaps you yearn for the simpler days, as do we all every now and again. This is what I like to call "Jaded Gamer Syndrome". That feeling that you've already experienced everything gaming has to offer, and it was better way back in the day.

Well guess what? The cake is a fucking lie.

used44 said:
Last week at my friend's dorm someone had a N64 with mario tennis, super smash, golden-eye, pod racing and a couple of others. I suggested golden-eye because everyone remembers it as one of their most favorite shooters and after we played a 4 player deathmatch we all looked at each other like "Um.... This game isn't as awesome as we remember". Maybe we've been spoiled by the new shooters that we've been playing recently like COD or Halo or BF but it didn't hold up to the childhood fame it had.

I still view it as one of my all time favorites considering the hours and hours of fun I got from the game but I honestly think games got better and worst over the years. Yes games are more simple and quicker to beat but we're trading length for (hopefully) a memorable experience that is usually a hollywood action experience. And before there wasn't any form of multiplayer in a lot of games but now almost every game has it causing singleplayer to not be as long as we want because the resources are shifting. I'm not saying every multiplayer game is grade A but now we're experiencing things in gaming that a decade ago would seem like star wars technology. 4 player co-op, 16/32/50+ player online battles, the huge mod communities, downloadble content and other things are new milestones that although have medicore examples still have been performed great by stand-out games.

But I'm not saying you're wrong or stupid I understand why you're saying the things you're saying I'm just saying this because there honestly are very great games out there today or even average games that can still give hours of fun. I've poured lots of time in the mario, sonic, donkey kong and many other old franchises and games and they still hold dear to my heart but there's still good, better games out there today like Portal, Half Life, Mass Effect, KOTOR, Bioshock and many more. I know you don't like Bioshock but it is considered to a lot as an amazing game, with or without the cloning thing. And with the arrow thing it's not like old games didn't guide you, hell in the old super mario you always knew which direction to run (obviously not mario 64)

Why the eff did you not play pod racing instead?! And if you're hanging out with buddies playing N64 party games, the obvious choices are Bomberman 64 and Diddy Kong Racing.

Diabolus said:
Remember how awesome Sonic Adventure was? Well, go play it now and you'll find out just how well it has aged over the years. Like Daniel B already said, this is an open and shut case of Rose-Tinted Goggles. Nothing more, nothing less.

Games do things now that we didn't even dream of 10 years ago. Perhaps you yearn for the simpler days, as do we all every now and again. This is what I like to call "Jaded Gamer Syndrome". That feeling that you've already experienced everything gaming has to offer, and it was better way back in the day.

Well guess what? The cake is a fucking lie.

Well what you have, I like to call New Age Gamer Syndrome. You are so frustrated by how much cooler and more full of personality the older games were that you say its an instant open and shut case. Well no it isn't. I still enjoy sonic adventure 1 and 2 very much, but your right it has aged...duh. You have to go into those games already knowing that. What your saying can be vice versa...it's all opinion. Not an open and shut case, god that is so close minded. Seriously. I get your point, but you have not solved the case sherlock.

pres50 said:
So your saying games now are harder and challenging? Thats why most games now take less than a day to beat?? C'mon wake up. The only reason Mario is so easy now is because YOU ALREADY KNOW WHAT TO DO. Most games that come out now that are considered LONG titles are like 18 hours..WTF. Games are easier now because even grandma wants to play a bit of COD and that damn Mario plumber you were so fond of as a child..Grandma and Granpa are hip now..and so is the difficulty. You got Very Hard, Hard, Normal, Easy, Very Easy...and Mainstream..the lowest of the low. Like BioShock...seriously?..follow the arrow and get cloned the whole time so you never die. Am I missing something here? Sure there is exceptions like Demons Souls and the like but those are few and far between imo. Just my 2 cents dawgs.
Ugh, keep this discussion in your own thread and just talk about what you're playing here.

danielrbischoff said:
pres50 said:
Ugh, keep this discussion in your own thread and just talk about what you're playing here.

Why are you saying Ugh? Your the one going off topic by complaining about what we're not talking about. This isn'tt about what games we are playing so to speak but rather why we like/dislike older games more than newer ones. Stop trying to be negative cause your making me negative lol. What do you mean by ''keep this discussion in your own thread'' ?....uhhhh it is?

danielrbischoff said:
WHOOPS, thought I was in another thread when I read your post. Carry on!

Haha too awesome, cheers friend sorry on my part as well if I seemed a little disgruntled. I was just like whaa?

used44 said:
Why the eff did you not play pod racing instead?! And if you're hanging out with buddies playing N64 party games, the obvious choices are Bomberman 64 and Diddy Kong Racing.

We did play pod racing, as a huge star wars fan I wouldn't have allowed that day to end without playing at least one race of pod racing. That game held up to my childhood measures and was still a great time playing, they didn't have bomberman or Mario kart (to which I commented how they they're missing out if you also didn't have those and starfox). We played diddy kong but I was never into diddy kong racing so my opinion of that game was neutral. The girl who owned the N64 had Mario party but no one wanted to get pisses off so we avoided it. Also Mario tennis can get intense..... Very intense....

N64 is the only one of my old systems that I still have and I have ~15 carts for it still. Nothing like some WWF with friends. Random winner!!!

Bretimus_v2 said:
N64 is the only one of my old systems that I still have and I have ~15 carts for it still. Nothing like some WWF with friends. Random winner!!!

I loved WWF Warzone I think it was? For PSX...soo much fun, played the demo for hours and then rented the game one day...ohh man making your own wrestler was too awesome.

pres50 said:
Bretimus_v2 said:

I loved WWF Warzone I think it was? For PSX...soo much fun, played the demo for hours and then rented the game one day...ohh man making your own wrestler was too awesome.
I forget which one it was but the make your own wrestler had a hair style that made your guy looks like Goku, talk about a dream come true for any DBZ fan. To be able to destroy opponents looking like Goku for kid me was like little Anakin being told he's gonna be a Jedi... Dream come true, people in those days would rarely watch wrestling but knew a lot about because of the games

No Mercy 4 lyfe

Also, WWF Wrestlemania and WWF nWo World Tour were great too.

WCW nWo World Tour! Get it straight! Ultimo Dragon FTW!!!!

ultimo.jpg

The only thing I remember about the WWF NWO N64 games is my friends and I would always bitch about who got to play Rey Mysterio...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod