Prop 19

Bretimus_v2 said:
Well, if Boardwalk Empire has taught me anything, it's that prohibition of substances just makes bad people rich. Also, it's teaching me that Steve Buschemi is even cooler than I thought.

If this does pass, I think that a good chunk of marijuana tax revenue should go into the garbage that gets cut first in economic downturn (school, emergency services like fire and police forces, etc.).

It should be cut from schools. Billions have been spent over the past 3 decades on public schools and grades and graduation rates barely have gone up. The number of teachers, and union money clout, has.

Yeah, that's to be expected. California's fairly socially moderate, so this shit doesn't pass easy. But the simple fact that it was on the ballot means a whole lot.

And the unions are a problem. I'm pretty sure Governor Brown knows not to feed them.

Lethean said:
madster111 said:
Anyone who votes 'No' is an idiot who dislikes progress and lower taxes.

I'd vote no.

Imagine how much easier it'd be for kids to get a hold of weed.

Actually, I'd imagine it would be harder.

Picture alcohol being illegal. How would kids get it? From a dealer, much like how they get marijuana. Someone would make their own liquor, and they'd sell it to dealers and it would make it's way to kids in school.

But because alcohol is legal it is available in stores and not sold to minors, making it harder for them to get a hold of.

Sure they can get a fake ID, or try to get an adult to buy it for them, or swipe their parents liquor. But that's still harder then simply texting your dealer and grabbing some weed.

Californians deserve everything they get. I hope the state goes bankrupt.
The bay area is the only place that makes any sense out here. I dont understand it. Your state is ready to shut down almost every service because its dying for cash. Then this opportunity comes along and people turn it down? Insane.

UrbanMasque said:
The bay area is the only place that makes any sense out here. I dont understand it. Your state is ready to shut down almost every service because its dying for cash. Then this opportunity comes along and people turn it down? Insane.

Yup, it's a shame. Should have made sure all the smokers got absentee ballets.

Well... It failed... It's official, California is no longer the peace loving state we always portray them to be...

UrbanMasque said:
The bay area is the only place that makes any sense out here. I dont understand it.
Better hold that thought, San francisco passed prop L, the anti homeless law. It is now illegal to sit or lay on the street from 7 am to 11 pm... even for a chat or for street musicians... Yup... At least Brown's our governor...

Lethean said:
I'd vote no.

Imagine how much easier it'd be for kids to get a hold of weed.
I can get weed easier than i can get Alcohol, right now.

Also, apparently cali residents don't like their lives. Instead of not being idiots and using the tax money on health care, they would rather be archaic twatcakes who seem to ignore the fact that prison over-crowding, shootings & other crimes and millions of dollars of debt could all be solved if they had only passed that one law.
Congrats guys.

^lol...talk about oversimplification

you are just as big of an idiot as you claim California voters to be if you think the passing of this proposition would have made all of those problems you mentioned just disappear.

UrbanMasque said:

It has gone bankrupt. Cali is the worst in the union with illinois a close second.

It's the bay area that doesn't make sense, damn hippys.

madster111 said:
Also, apparently cali residents don't like their lives. Instead of not being idiots and using the tax money on health care, they would rather be archaic t*** who seem to ignore the fact that prison over-crowding, shootings & other crimes and millions of dollars of debt could all be solved if they had only passed that one law.
Congrats guys.

Yeah, but then the high would wear off and you'd still be stuck with those probelems.

UrbanMasque said:
It definitely would've reduced a lot of them.

I would think it probably would reduce a lot of them...but I don't think you can use words like definitely or talk in absolutes like madster. I would have liked to have seen the proposal pass and see how everything played out, but I don't think you can definitely be sure that anything would have been reduced or solved.

Guys, listen. If Prop 19 passed, who would we have to blame for our drug use (read: druggie) problems and addictions? Only ourselves. That's just not gonna happen.

quickly: i heard on the news about a tool we designed that helped save the Chilean miners. /Yeahh...

We need a fall guy, we need a Mexico. We need an element of evil to blame that's not ourselves in case this shit blows up in our faces. But they're, at least, acknowledging the usage as somewhat safe (or at least safer than other vices) so we (Cali) get decriminalization in small amounts, but not legalization.

This sort of law would have to go nationwide from the start; state by state is not going to work. Catch 22 there, because other states are looking at the California vote before they'll begin their own legalization push. Haven't even mentioned the alcohol and tobacco lobbyists railing against legalization. heh heh heh, this pipe dream is up in smoke. heh

it was doubtful from the beginning. The pro marijuana movement should focus more on the economic benefit of legalization rather than squashing any 1930s hysteria safety concerns.

Well I for one am glad it did not pass. Can you imagine a world where marijuana is legal here in our country?

Hollywood would continue to pump out the most horrendous films ever made and nobody would care because they'd be so baked they'd somehow find it funny. Everyone would flock to fast food restaurants and convenience stores making line-ups to buy your munchies excruciatingly long. People behind the anti-marijuana advertisements would be out of work. And the police would have to come up with another probable cause to arrest black youth.

Marijuana will never be legal in the US. It would be like trying to imagine a black President or legalizing same sex marriage. Our children, the future of our country, would all turn gay or be a gangster and smoke so much weed that they'd forget which one they are. And our home-boy Prez; Mr. Black Guy wouldn't even care.

The Cannabis plant has been a reign of terror on our planet for millions of years, it wasn't until 70 years ago that we stood up against this tyrant and made it illegal, crying NO MORE!

I can't wait til we ban Poison Ivy, that shit itches like hell.

Shaft hit the nail on the head, the legalization is not going to be a miracle cure for Cali's financial woes, but the extra revenue could have done some good at least

The fact it failed to pass does honestly confuse me, I think the issue is the average voter is a bit older (especially given that youth voting was apparently down 18%) and still has the "reefer madness" propaganda stuck in their head. It makes no sense to have alcohol legal and marijuana as a criminal offense, outlaw both or let both be consumed

On my way to the polls Tuesday there was a person standing on the corner in a frog suit waving a sign that said "Hop for Prop B." So naturally I got excited thinking Proposition B was about frogs in some way (saving them? catching them?) but sadly it was about libraries or some crap.

I think if this proposition is re-introduced in a few years it has a better chance at passing. Maybe not in 2012, but perhaps next midterm elections.

I think it will probably be legalized here first. First, a liberal government will take over. Then one province (probably B.C) will make it happen. Then they all will (except Quebec, fucking French assholes). Then the States are gonna feel the pressure and eventually we're all smoking weed. Well, once its legal, it won't be cool anymore, so we probably won't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133