CA Senator Leland Yee has gone off the deep end...again

Ivory_Soul

Highly Motivated Test Subject
California Senator Leland Yee has just proven how much of a lunatic he is. He says video gamers have no credibility when it comes to the video game violence issue because we can't see past our lust for violence. I think this guy has some serious issues he needs worked out. He is saying we "need to quiet down" and let the experts handle the issue. I actually think gamers are some of the most sane people on earth. This guy is just freaking crazy.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/01/26/cal...ing-no-credibility-in-violent-media-argument/

This guy is just bat sh^t crazy. I remember him piping up a few years ago and was a full supporter of the other lunatics Jack Thompson and Hilary Clinton.

Just based on that quotation, I think the linked article takes it a little too far when it says that Yee thinks gamers are psychotic. Really, all he's saying (no doubt with a lot of disdain and conviction) is that gamers are expected to have a bias about this issue. Surely you can see that as a reasonable concern.

And, let's say I give him the benefit of the doubt, I suppose when he made that comment, he was addressing only those who play violent games, rather than pulling in everyone who has ever played a video game, violent or not. It can be difficult to separate the voices of those oh-so-scary gamers from the rest of the other, potentially normal, variety.

Of course I'm not saying that I agree with the guy, but his point about letting a third party investigation do its job is not too radical. I'm not sure I believe that any investigations will be unbiased, but hopefully there are people with integrity who will keep it in check. Besides that, it probably won't even matter what the investigation finds, because people are going to find ways in which they can use it to support their position on the matter regardless of the data.

On a side note, I find it especially true of the United States that they excel in spreading and accepting fear amongst themselves. It seems quite ironic when juxtaposed with the image of union and solidarity that is so often depicted in documents and speeches. You're all so damn scared of each other.

Can't believe i once voted for this guy.

But as much as i disagree with his statement, there is some truth in his words though. Every time people say we need to study the impact of video game violence on the youth, we always get lots of vocal people online screaming as they write with caps on "IT'S NOT NEEDED! U R DUMB!".

Guys, we need to prove guys like him that there really isn't any link between real life violence and violent video games. Spamming his mail box and calling him names will ridicule us more then make him see the truth. And the best way to show him that is to be the better man and trust the studies to do their job rather then throw a fit every time someone disdain us. Leeland Yee will find out in time there really isn't any fact to back him up, maybe his studies will finally make him face that fact. Then he will understand us and leave the video game community alone or isolate himself from reality.

Sightless said:
On a side note, I find it especially true of the United States that they excel in spreading and accepting fear amongst themselves. It seems quite ironic when juxtaposed with the image of union and solidarity that is so often depicted in documents and speeches. You're all so damn scared of each other.
Amen. I still believe in time we'll get past over that.

The problem is studies have already been done to prove him wrong. We waste so much money on this back and forth study thing. Once a new person comes along everyone thinks it's time for new studies. There is no connection, end of story. It's the individual person's fault, not the media. We need to start thinking about punishing these individuals rather than pointing the finger at something else. This country has a huge issue with blaming everything but the issue.

Ivory_Soul said:
The problem is studies have already been done to prove him wrong. We waste so much money on this back and forth study thing.
I agree that it seems like a waste of money, but not all the studies are going to be identical. I'm not familiar with the specific studies done in the past, and I'm not sure what this new one proposes to look at. If they are dissimilar enough, then it may be worth looking at. If we find conflicting evidence, then we have to account for that and maybe past research hasn't revealed anything conclusive after all. I guess it's unfortunate that it's government money being put into it, but it's hard for me to say that research isn't worth doing.

Ivory_Soul said:
We need to start thinking about punishing these individuals rather than pointing the finger at something else. This country has a huge issue with blaming everything but the issue.
Doing research doesn't exclude the possibility of also punishing the people responsible. Furthermore, you can be open to a range of interrelated causes, as was largely the focus of this GR thread, re: Connecticut Shootings: http://www.gamerevolution.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=26507

If I was more religious, I would believe there is a very special place in hell just for these kind of retards.

I can remember when Mortal Kombat and Doom 2 were released to the public. People said the game would warp our fragile minds and turn us into killers.

Here it is, almost 20 years later and surprise surprise the kids turned out alright.

Wes said:
I can remember when Mortal Kombat and Doom 2 were released to the public. People said the game would warp our fragile minds and turn us into killers.

Here it is, almost 20 years later and surprise surprise the kids turned out alright.

Oooh but the graphics are soo realistic now they say. Which again they also said about Mortal Kombat . It's all bullshit people always look for a scapegoat it's just a good way to blame it on something other than just pure evil....oh wait I think we've just solved a dilemma here. Again the don't know what the flying fuck to blame, and they want to brush off their pitchfork's and torch's.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle