OoT: Race to Puberty

Sightless and I are arranging a simultaneous Ocarina of Time race to see who can get all three spiritual stones and turn Link into an adult first. We have Matt on board but could use another one or three people. Currently there isn't a schedule worked out, so we'll have to find a couple continuous hours where everyone involved is free.

What you'd need to be involved:
-Some way of recording the game's video. Quality isn't a big issue considering how the size is going to drop for the final product.
-Some way of recording your commentary without also recording the game's audio or anything from your speakers. (If using an internal microphone, you'd need headphones so the laptop doesn't capture what's coming from its own speakers.)

Once I have everybody's video and our skype commentary I can combine and synchronize them. The plan is they're all next to one another in a single vid so people viewing can see where everyone is in relation to everyone else--while also hearing what we were rambling about at the time. I'd like to have four or six at once, since a race between just two or three people doesn't seem as fun to take part in or watch. Who all's interested?

Part 1/9: http://youtu.be/rlNGOZYGvr8

Part 2/9: http://youtu.be/qiumUM6609A

Part 3/9: http://youtu.be/mX6NybwlKFg

Part 4/9: http://youtu.be/5a7S3QeP8aE

Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

Just kidding. I haven't even gotten that far on that game.

De-Ting said:
Just kidding. I haven't even gotten that far on that game.
Thank god i'm not the only one.

I would be in, but i'm almost certain to come last (constantly checking gamefaqs = not fast) and my internet drops in/out all the time, so i'm out.
Keep me posted on what happens, though.

Oh, also, run the emulator and everyone use:
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/51255-Ph ... xture-Pack
or
http://www.lanpartyguide.com/zelda/pj64.html
If everyone involved has the PC power
(Check it: http://www.lanpartyguide.com/zelda/zelda64textures.html)

I wouldn't worry about coming last maddy. I've just seen Festival do the Deku Tree temple in under 3 minutes - far better than I.

My audio is a problem since I just have an internal mic and you can really hear the fan on my laptop. What do you guys use?

In terms of when, I can only really do this on weekends (having a job sucks). Friday or Saturday preferably. But I can stay up as late as I can so you guys can go for evening times if you want.

Should I...

My problem is I don't know if I can get the emulator working in time, or even the setup to record and participate.

Plus I might be too quick for you...lemme think it over.

It would be a mostly blind run for me, because I never owned an N64 and never got around to it later in life.

I would appreciate if you could suggest some good recording program, so I could test how my hothead laptop handles recording and playing at the same time.

That seems really fun. Even if it's just between two or three people, I'd be interested in watching the final edited product.

LinksOcarina said:
Plus I might be too quick for you...
Bring it, bro.

I'm testing today to see if I can capture. I'm just using livestream procaster whatever, but my computer is a POS and can't run anything. Gonna try a few things out to see if I can get it going. May have to find and hook up a capture device right from console. Hrrm.

MattAY, your internal mic doesn't seem too bad for fan noise. We can get on Skype sometime and figure out if it's going to be a real problem or not. Friday or Sat is good with me. If you're up late, that's perfect. Even starting at noon would be 8pm for ya, so that seems alright.

People haven't played Ocarina? What crazy, upside-down world is this? I'm not in a big hurry, so there's time to mess with setups and emulators to see what works. It could also mean time to learn what to do, but that's probably too much trouble for a single video.

Affen: Ideally it's done with an actual console and a composite-to-USB capture device, so you computer neither has to run the game nor handle recording anything and is just a place to store the final product. I'd be doing that if my N64 weren't currently at my parents' house over an hour away.
I remember playing with lots of different screen-recording methods trying to figure out how to get started. For this I'm using livestream's procaster. Fraps is another possibility, but doesn't compress files it's making, so a ten minute video ends up taking ten gigs.

MattAY: The Deku Tree skip won't save time for this run since I need the slingshot for two rooms Dodongo's Cavern. It's possible to get through them without it, but way too hard for me to pull off.

Sightless said:
LinksOcarina said:
Plus I might be too quick for you...
Bring it, bro.

Id love to, but I don't have the equipment to do it, nor do I have the cash to get the setup.

I willl sadly have to wait on the sidelines until I can do it, but I will be watching and rooting for you all.

I would totally do this, but I have no time. Sorry! Please keep us posted and update this thread with the race. Sounds like so much fun.

Couldn't this be done asynchronously? If scheduling is an issue...

Maybe everybody sends their captured video to Festival, he stitches it together, then get together on Skype at a later date to record a group commentary, put the commentary over the video and post it here. Bam! Front Page material.

That's possible, but I prefer the live aspect. If we submit our best video out of 100 attempts or something, it's not as in-the-moment as is all going at once and with a single try and immediate reactions. Scheduling hasn't been an issue so far, but may be if lots more people decide to join in.

danielrbischoff said:
I would totally do this, but I have no time. Sorry! Please keep us posted and update this thread with the race. Sounds like so much fun.

Glad to see a thread was made for this. Maybe next month when I have a better PC I can join.

madster111 said:
UghRochester said:
Glad to see a thread was made for this. Maybe next month when I have a better PC I can join.
Even older computers can do N64 emulators, man.
Yeah, but my laptop wasn't able to record without crashing. It could play it without any problems, but couldn't record simultaneously. Again, I should be able to get a better system next month if everything goes smoothly.

I just want to say when I read the title it reminded me of old GR. We were all so young...

Festival-Temple said:
MattAY: The Deku Tree skip won't save time for this run since I need the slingshot for two rooms Dodongo's Cavern. It's possible to get through them without it, but way too hard for me to pull off.

Hope for victory has returned a little. Just the fact that you remember there are 2 rooms that require the slingshot stresses how I may need a practice run to fully remember.

Come on guys - one more! I cant tell you how excited I am to do this. I forked out £30 for the equipment to do this!

Can you guys wait until next month? My brother is paying me $500, because he lives with me and doesn't pay rent. With my bills being paid first, I should have enough for a good system. That's why I'm looking for something around $700.

Dont know about waiting until next month, but I see no reason to not do this a second time!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle