Onlive, play crysis maxxed out with intergrated graphics

very interesting! bringing PC gaming to the masses? seems like the only thing you really need is any sort of Windows PC(XP or Vista) and a preferably good internet connection.

Yeah, there's an entire article on ign about this little device. It sounds pretty awesome but isn't the visual quality entirely dependent on your connection speed or am I mistaken?

So this guy is saying my POS computer will be able to run Boshock on high graphics settings? Wow that sure is incredible, a miracle if not!

Lethean said:
Yeah, there's an entire article on ign about this little device. It sounds pretty awesome but isn't the visual quality entirely dependent on your connection speed or am I mistaken?

Just the resolution. The guy said it will output at 720p @ 60fps max, and it will downscale to 480p at the lowest. I forgot what he said the exact resolutions were.

From what I understand it just sends your input over the internet to a remote computer, which renders the games. The remote computer then streams the video to your computer. This is something I was going to set up for my house a few years so I could play PC games on my large TV while keeping the computer in my room, but the cost was too expensive.

Problem 1.)
I can already do this.

Problem 2.)
I live in Australia. I pay $150 a month for the same internet speeds you Americans get for $20 a month.

Problem 3.)
I'm using Telstra Bigpond.
My internet resets every time i try to download something, browse certain websites, use MSN, use Xbox Live or any online game on my PC.
For example, you know that video i just watched?
about 80% through that, my internet reset.
(note: FUCK bigpond.

Therefore;
Shit, expensive internet that doesn't work properly means

720p, Laggy, resetting game every 5 minutes - $?
vs
1080p, perfect, constant play - $299 (Xbox 360 Pro)

Hmm, i wonder what i should buy...hmm?

^ Well then sucks to be you, Madster. We Americans get to use this without a problem.
Sounds awesome though, I will finally be able to play all those computer games I couldn't before because of my POS computer

I wonder how this will work for the many user mods for many PC games. I'm guessing there will be strict rules on all mods.

This also seems like it might give more incentive for many console developers to also release PC versions. At first only through this service where it will be safe from pirating then after a while maybe a regular PC version? just a guess.

I'm thinking it won't allow mods at all. It looks like you will just pick a game from their store, purchase or rent it, and then play it. It appears you won't be able to upload your own games and/or mods.

If this is the case then that kinda takes away what mostly sets PC games aside from consoles, the customizability*. Because of this I don't think this service will hurt console gaming at all. I mean, really it only appeals to existing PC gamers because without the customization, there really is not much difference between PC gaming and console gaming.

*Random fact #384: This word is actually a word made up completely by the computing world. Where the word came from, I don't know. A cookie goes to anyone who can figure it out!

Also, madster, no one cares about your shitty internet. If you can post something that no one but you cares about, go ahead and post it. If not then just keep it to yourself.

schimmel said:
^ Well then sucks to be you, Madster. We Americans get to use this without a problem.
That's the point.

How many other countries around the world have bad internet?

And WHY would you buy this shit anyway, when you can have an Xbox 360 which is 100 times better than a streaming service, for only $299AUD?

It makes no sense whatsoever.

Oh, and their 'INSTANTLY!' promo thing?
how long do they think it takes to install a game?
Last time i installed Crysis off a 7200RPM HDD, it took me less than 3 minutes to be able to play it.
With no lag, 1200p at 60hz, and custom weapons.

This is a great concept.
Except for the fact that about 99.99% of video games these days are made for consoles, the fact that consoles are dirt cheap, and the fact that consoles are better.
Oh, and the fact that consoles can be bought and used anywhere. Not just in America.

I'll move this to the general gaming section as it's more fitting for this topic.

There's also another OnLive topic there but I can't merge the two :(.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle