MSNBC article on addictive video games.

Lethean

Rookie
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24509926/

Apparently WoW is the most addictive, who would have thought?

Of course, this is just another article used to slander video games and make the players all seem like brainless zombies looking for a gaming fix. One could argue they ended with that quote to show it isn't the game, but the individual, but I think it was the author's intended purpose to make it appear that way when really, they have a very negative bias towards gaming in general.

Not really anything new, but I posted the article anyways.

I won't deny WoW or other video games *can* have that effect on people. Hell, as it stands right now, my soon to be sister in law and her boyfriend stay in their room all day, doors closed and play WoW. And they're 18 year olds, not 15 with angst issues. By the way - yes, they do play WoW and not something else. I know what some of you are thinking. I just feel it's time to stop blaming games.

So do you feel the article has a negative bias towards interactive entertainment and that quote was a cheap attempt to cover it up, or was the quotes intended purpose to show they didn't blame the games, but rather the individuals?

MSNBC has done two pieces that we know of on this? Damn. I thought this was their first one. I remember that manifesto...It was a good read.

"Addictive" is really a question of perception. Most reports try to coat video game addiction to be as dangerous as drug addiction, because hey, video games are some kind of substance that takes you to an alternate reality and makes you really, really happy. But is it as addictive as say, sugar, or can it even be perceived as "passion" or, gasp, "dedication". When an athlete works out at a gym and gives his life to a sport, say the 100m dash, avoiding contact with people in long periods of time, exerting almost day and night to the brink of physical collapse, do we say the athlete is "addicted" or "dedicated"? But since gaming is seen as mainstream and hasn't established its legitimacy as a mental activity and competitive sport, it's easy to say that it's addictive and have people fear it. In the news business, to get viewers, if you can't someone to love it, it's usually easier for people to fear or hate it.

Nick_Tan said:
But since gaming is seen as mainstream and hasn't established its legitimacy as a mental activity and competitive sport

K i love gamning but its not a sport, i could see mental activity. On the sport Hierarchy gamming to me is on the same level as poker, or pool, or darts, or bowling. I think the MLG is great and its entertaing, but no matter how you spin it flicking a joystick and pulling a trigger while sitting on a big lazy boy is not a sport.

jc00l said:
Nick_Tan said:
But since gaming is seen as mainstream and hasn't established its legitimacy as a mental activity and competitive sport

K i love gamning but its not a sport, i could see mental activity. On the sport Hierarchy gamming to me is on the same level as poker, or pool, or darts, or bowling. I think the MLG is great and its entertaing, but no matter how you spin it flicking a joystick and pulling a trigger while sitting on a big lazy boy is not a sport.

Agreed, anything that is usually accompanied by a bag of doritos and a mountain dew is not a sport.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo