Morrowind is hard to get into.

pres50

Rookie
I really enjoy this game's atmosphere but holy shit is the beginning ever lame? Any advice on how to level up quick and be able to attack things signifigantly? Almost all enemies are deadly to me. If you have any advice please explain it to me as if i'm 5 years old. This game confuses moi.

It's simple, really:
Download Morroblivion.
Morrowind story, characters, etc with Oblivion graphics and combat.

Or what you can do is pick a combat skill and just go 100% into that. For example, long blades is pretty much the best combat skill. So just choose that as a major skill, use heavy/light armor, and just go all in.

Anyone try skywind? Morrowind remake in skyrim engine.

Its currently in Alpha.

I never finished morrowind.

Yeah, Morrowind is kinda hard to get into at first. I suggest trying the imperial guard position in Gnisis. The quest they offer is not too hard and pays pretty well. They do require you to be athletic and know how to use blades or blunt though. No harm in picking these two skills when you select your class at first (but really, pick whatever you want to experiment at first).

May i suggest you walk to Gnisis? It's not that far and it'll be a nice trek there. Just look out for them clift racers. Those mother****er really start to annoy you.

It's a game before they adding mobs that level with you in Oblivion. So make sure that you do the quests around town until you're powerful enough to go exploring on your own.

I might reinstall the game with the overhaul patch and music mods. I don't know.

Morrowind is a lot more stat based than oblivion, and infinitely more stat based the skyrim.

You really have to focus on a few things you want. You can't be a jack of all trades in this one. If you put your stats right you should be able to kill stuff A LOT easier.

I found the Serpent sign to be very useful in the beginning of the game since you can just slap it on a mob and it'll poison them, then you can go in and swing at him with his life already low.

Magic was extremely difficult in this game compared to the other ones IMO. A couple of conjuring spells can help out to distract some enemies while you whack at them.

With a combination of the Serpent Sign poison and some low level conjuring you can get yourself level'd to the point where fighting shouldn't be too hard.

Psuedo said:
Morrowind is a lot more stat based than oblivion
This is the one thing you always have to remember. Morrowind is an RPG first and an action game second. So learn how to effectively manage your stats, and you'll be dominant.

And magic is tough to learn but becomes almost infinitely more powerful than everything else as you get used to it. Which is how magic almost always works in RPGs. It trumpets like crazy.

Still, when you're first getting into it, start with the Legion or the Fighter's Guild.

You have a weird definition of what an RPG is, longo. For me, Morrowind is a more action game then RPG. I always called it a first person shooter with RPG element in it.

And let's also add House Redoran on the list of beginners guild too. Though for that faction, you better take mass transport to Ald'ruhn. Though be warned, it's one of the three great houses of Morrowind, once you enter that one, you can't enter the other two.
What i like a lot about house Redoran is how they force you to get involve in Dumner lore as you progress in quests. Like trading with the ash tribes and what-not.

Lien said:
You have a weird definition of what an RPG is, longo. For me, Morrowind is a more action game then RPG. I always called it a first person shooter with RPG element in it.
Or maybe it is you who has a weird definition of what an RPG is. While Morrowind is first person, it's still an RPG through and through. Basically every action is dependent on character skills and attributes, and even though it's in first person perspective the core of the gameplay is entirely based on your character's ability.

Anyway, Redoran is way easier than Telvanni, and Hlaalu sucks.

That's oblivion, and it is Patrick Stewart.

In morrowind you talk to Jyub or whatever his name is.

Longo_2_guns said:
Lien said:
Or maybe it is you who has a weird definition of what an RPG is. While Morrowind is first person, it's still an RPG through and through. Basically every action is dependent on character skills and attributes, and even though it's in first person perspective the core of the gameplay is entirely based on your character's ability.

As i grew older, i notice a trend of redefining what a RPG is and what an RPG isn't. I grew up on the text based RPG where you had to input your command for everything and use imagination for everything else, now it's all about "stats" and "loot" and how your action isn't on what you can or cannot do with what you have and what us possible, but based on your "skill points". Let's just agree to disagree...

Longo_2_guns said:
Anyway, Redoran is way easier than Telvanni, and Hlaalu sucks.
'cept for this! YO WATCHA SAYIN' ABOUT HLAALU! IMMA CUT YOU!
House_Hlaau_Sign.png

For the great compromise, Motherf***er!

Thanks for all the replies guys. Your comments will help me a lot I'm sure. Right now I'm a little tipsy and intimidated to drop in to the world of Morrowind. Love it or hate it I'm currently doing a quest for Ajir to collect 4 different types of mushrooms to enter some guild I cant remember the name of. I have collected the 4 shrooms but cannot find my way back to Balmura. I love this game.

Lien said:
Longo_2_guns said:
Lien said:

As i grew older, i notice a trend of redefining what a RPG is and what an RPG isn't. I grew up on the text based RPG where you had to input your command for everything and use imagination for everything else, now it's all about "stats" and "loot" and how your action isn't on what you can or cannot do with what you have and what us possible, but based on your "skill points". Let's just agree to disagree...
Well, actually, you're sort of on the money, with one little variation. What makes an RPG isn't what you can or can't do, it's entirely about what your character can or can't do. And what determines what they can or can't do is based around the many numbers that make up their character abilities. This isn't a redefinition, either, since this is the exact way that the first tabletop RPGs were done.

And that's part of what makes Morrowind a great RPG. No one character will be able to do everything. It's not really easy to be a master of the Thieves Guild and the Mage's Guild and the Imperial Legion and the Imperial Cult all at the same time, since you actually have to be skilled in different things for each. And if you're an agile, stealthy character, it's gonna be a whole lot harder to connect hits with big swords and axes.

And pres, I think that's for the Mages Guild. I remember one of my friends getting lost and complaining about it. Which is why I say go for the Fighters Guild. The first quest there involves killing three whole rats.

Morrowind is difficult to get into? That makes no sense to me.

I guess in the same way that any old game has aged it has some antiquated systems. But the controls are still tight and the experience is so wide open.

Definitely choose a specific skillset to focus on. This isn't like a modern Elder Scrolls game where your character can master everything.

used44 said:
Morrowind is difficult to get into? That makes no sense to me.

I guess in the same way that any old game has aged it has some antiquated systems. But the controls are still tight and the experience is so wide open.

Definitely choose a specific skillset to focus on. This isn't like a modern Elder Scrolls game where your character can master everything.

Its just hard for me to get into, not because its a bad game. Like you said everything about it is good (controls, environment etc.) I just am a little overwhelmed by the scope of the world and the lack of direction sometimes, can throw me off a bit and make me quit for a while. The thing that really grinds my gears is the attacking but once i level up I should be alright. On a side note, this game is way more immersive than Oblivion or Skyrim for some reason.

True, i am much more interested in exploring the smelly swamps of the bitter coast while running away from clift racers then say, hunting the lions in golden coast or hunting renegade bretons in Markarth.
It's just something about Morrowind's charm that really pushes you to actually walk from one coast to the other, looking around at the trees and the lakes of Vvardenfal or checking out the market place in Vivec's foreign district. Oblivion And Skyrim did increased more area to explore and added some pretty sight but they pale in comparison to Morrowind.

And no, Longo, I know what you gonna say. It's not because of the "RPG" element, i don't give a crap that as a rogue it's harder to swing your two handed axe and beside, everyone just chose long blades anyway (So what were the classes for? oh yeah to punish you for making the wrong choices during character creation). I say the difference in quality between Morrowind and the recent game is cause of the setting itself. VVardenfal's landscape isn't as diverse as Cyrodile or even Highrock, so the creators made the best they could to create colorful regions in a Volcanic island and showing a more intriguing society among the dunmer who are still feeling invaded culturally by the empire. I actually talked to every Ashlanders i could find just to know more about their tribal society. Not because of a quest, i was personally motivated to befriend all of them! The recent games increased in the gameplay (yeah i said it, *removes gloves* fight me Longo!) and graphic department, sure it's nice and all. But they also lowered their resources in designing character and offering us a less intriguing lore.... especially Oblivion... yikes!

I mean, seriously, the entire plot of Oblivion was helping the ACTUAL chosen one (Brother Martin... what a name!). You were more just a messenger then a "prophesied hero" pretty much. How do the townfolks get food? Where are the farms? How do they trade and how do they treat eachother? No one knows, but hey! They can smile to you when you bribe them!
At least Skyrim answered half of that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle