I see those tents...those magical, wonderful tents.

WickedLiquid said:
Firecrackers or all fireworks?

Are fireworks illegal in some parts of the US or was that just an inside joke on The Simpsons that I didn't get?
Well, some fireworks like firecrackers and bottle rockets are illegal in my area, because they're explosives and might injure someone. Professionals can perform shows with fireworks though.

Someday, Matt, you'll come to San Francisco and I can take you to Japantown. Or Chinatown. They're all the same, really.

maca2kx said:
spartan317 said:
MattAY said:
You know what I'LL be doing?

Living in a REAL country.

Currently embattled in a civil war with one of its colonies... Although I do give props to the awesome boat ride that happened recently...

Which is just as bad as spending trillions on a war on foreign soil.

Hey you can't put that one on just us. Tony Blair helped.

UghRochester said:
WickedLiquid said:

Are fireworks illegal in some parts of the US or was that just an inside joke on The Simpsons that I didn't get?
Well, some fireworks like firecrackers and bottle rockets are illegal in my area, because they're explosives and might injure someone. Professionals can perform shows with fireworks though.

Is that the reason? Or is it danger of wildfire? Your law is for pussies. Fireworks are illegal here because Alaska has so many damn wildfires in the summer. But, there's a place outside of anchorage called Houston where the first thing you come upon is rows of tents where they do sell them. So basically everybody goes there to get them. Then, if you set off your fireworks responsibly, near the beach or whatever, the cops won't enforce the law at all.

So they're "illegal" but everybody does it. It just requires some effort and responsibility.

It never gets dark up here in the summer, though. So the fireworks look better on New Years than the do on Independence Day.

Yeah, that's the main reason. People can still apply for a fireworks permit. The police don't care that much on Independence day. People go out of state and buy them from Ohio or West Virginia.

WickedLiquid said:

Where I live fireworks are only legal on July 3rd and 4th. If you shoot them off before or after that, you could get into some trouble, but only really if your neighbors were to report you. This is partly due to fire hazards, as several house fires have been started in recent years because dumb kids pointed their fireworks at other people's houses, and also because in dense residential areas, they can be loud and fucking annoying.

People do shoot them off for new years as well, but I'm not sure if that's legal. Probably is. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for that.

The only limits for fireworks as far as I know here have to do with size. Once you get up to a certain size, a firework is basically just a bomb, so they don't allow people to have those. That doesn't mean you can't drive to a reservation and get them (since state law doesn't apply there), but if you get caught with them you can suffer some serious charges.

I remember a few years back they had problems with a particular firework being sold on the reservations around Seattle. Basically, it was a tennis ball filled with gunpowder. Yeah, not the safest thing.

They take safety here pretty seriously, because it can be expensive to have to go to so many calls. A few years ago, a guy was shooting off a canon in his front yard, which apparently was legal since he was licensed, and it blew up, killing a child in the family. Rather than recognize that having anyone not trained near the canon was probably not the best idea, the family tried to blame the city's firefighter response time for why the kid died. Pretty sure they lost that one in court.

But yeah, there isn't a year where you don't hear about somebody blowing off some body part around here.

Fireworks, marijuana and prostitution. Welcome to Montreal. Where silly US laws don't mean squat.

On Canada Day I'll probably take my girlfriend out for a fireworks show.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle