How much?

How much money have you spent on video gaming in the past "generation" of consoles? Mine has passed into the thousands, and seeing what those games are worth today when I took them into Gamestop, I'm not entirely happy with my purchasing decisions. Why do games lose so much value so fast?

Anyway, yeah... how much have you spent this gen? (Guesstimate if you have to)

3x 360s, 1x PS3, 2x Wiis, 5(?) years of XBL, 3x wiimotes 2x PS3 controllers, 7/8x 360 controllers, likely hundreds of games, bunch of DLC, some XBLA games. Bunch of accessories for 360 (headsets and such).
Most at Australian retail prices.

$5000? $6000?
Somewhere up there. Probably only spend about $500 on handhelds all up (couple PSPs, DS+DS Lite)

I dont want to think about it - b/c there are obviously other life things I should have bought that would make my life eaiser. You left off PC stuf from that list too.

2 xbox 360s - $299x2 = $598
14 360 games - avg price $30 each = $420
Xbox controller - $40
Rechargeable batteries + the stand - $30 (I think?)
Wireless headset - $50
4 years of xbox live gold - $216
1 ps3 - $200
2 PS3 games - $40
Nintendo DS XL - $250
4 DS games - $80
Nintendo 3ds - $200
3 Nintendo 3ds games - $70

Grand total (before tax): $2,194

Not that bad for 8 years, really. If i add PC upgrades and games, the total would easily be $5,000+

On that point I will agree, I've been very happy with this generation. I feel like the visual stuff added to the ability to tell a story visually and not just by words and text made a big impact on my enjoyment.

A lot. Too much...

-PS3 40GB model - $700
-PS3 320GB model (after first one died) - $499
-Wii ($300)
-Wii U ($400)
-3Ds ($350)
-3Ds XL ($250)
-PC ($2000)
-Over 20 PS3 games (+$2000)

I can't be bothered doing the calculations or adding more to my list, so I would probably say $5-6000.

Probably 5 to 6 thousand including my computers, without them, probably about 1000$.

On PS3 games, less than 120$. I tend to buy consoles when the next gen comes out; in the case of the PS3 i waited til 2010 to get one.

I'm cheap, I wait for clearances or get them as gifts.

I look forward to finishing college without student loan debt. Maybe then I will have enough money to get most of my games outside of steam sales.

Bretimus_v2 said:
ITT Dan makes is evaluate our spending habits.
Doesn't feel too painful because it's all spread out, and the cash/hours ratio is still pretty huge (Oblivion, anyone?).

So even after thinking about how much i spend on gaming over these years, it's still no where near as bad as what i've spent on cars over the same period ('round $35k), so at least it doesn't hurt too much.

The true pain comes from looking at things you shouldn't have had to spend. 5x years of XBL Gold for me is $350. Play and charge kit x3 is $90, replacement 360s for dead ones (2x Elites, $600-700), the only time i ever supported that cunting practice of charging for online features for used games - $10. Various other bullshit accessories, etc.
Those are the sorts of things that hurt.
Could've had a nice holiday in New Zealand summer for that wasted money.

Bretimus_v2 said:
ITT Dan makes is evaluate our spending habits.
I didn't mean to do that, but it's the end of a generation so I'm kind of looking back. I don't regret the money I've spent either, but it is a lot. People always say to me "wow, so you get games for free?" But I'm super diehard and tend to buy multiple copies across platforms, rebuy games I've sold for other needs, etc etc. The guys at my local Gamestop know me all too well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod