How goes your picking up of GTA IV?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by malakian, Apr 29, 2008.

1. malakian

malakian Rookie

I just picked up my copy earlier! Sadly i can't play it until may the 11th due to being stuck in my halls here in uni revising for exams.

Anywho, a big fuss has been made by the gaming community in lieu of the preorders selling out etc. I ignored it and didnt get panicky, got into town this morning and picked it up for 39.97 from sainsbury's with my lunch. I looked in Zavvi's window and Game's, and Gamestations, and they all had stock too (albeit for 45 pounds and even 50 in zavvi, just for the regular edition too). Sainsbury's, for non UK nationals, is a supermarket, so wouldn't be the first port of call for desperate gamers...but would be for a savvy shopper like myself.

So what's your experience been? Sold out at all? Did you preorder? It's rare a gaming event with such broad appeal goes down, so it's interesting to hear about its effect on high streets, I think.

Obviously the topic one of the microhimmler's closed wasn't elaborate enough for them to infer it might be interesting, so i just thought I'd make a more long winded one, as i logged on wanting to post about it.

Please don't edit my topics. This topic is on what i made it to be about. Just because it's popular doesn't mean you can swap it into being one in line with your compartmentalizing obsession. Especially don't put your sycophantic user-demeaning sarcasm in the title. Thanks.

2. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I preordered a while ago, and I am going to get it in an hour.

3. The_Big_Cheese

The_Big_Cheese Regular

Went into Target this morning when it opened and got one no problem with no preorder.

4. MikeyVassallo

MikeyVassallo Rookie

i got mine from a best buy... just walked right in. They had 100 copies.

5. Nick_Tan

Nick_Tan Rookie

Got mine at about 12:02am, though GameStop midnight launches aren't fun when a girl behind you is smoking into a wind that smacks right into your face and a guy in front of you is trying to convince you that Dark Sector is "so brilliant" that it's "worth a rental".

6. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

havent played it yet, but picked it up @ Gamestop pretty easily... with strat guide. =( i knoww, sorry

7. XboxLiveLover

XboxLiveLover Rookie

please GTA4 come to PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Shaft

Shaft Rookie

the whole "you better preorder or you will have a hard time finding <insert game here>" is pure bullspit. I got that speech before both Brawl and Mario Kart were released and I was able to get both games without much hassle.

9. crazycracker22

^ I did that with Halo 3, KH 2 and Final Fantasy 12. All of which I was told BY an employee that there was no way I would get them without a preorder.

10. kverduga

kverduga Rookie

Pre-order? No thanks, I've got lots of them paperweights and paper rolls in the drawer.

A friend mysteriously brandished his GeeTeeEhy disc yesterday without pre-ordering. It's a lie, like Shaft said. Even though you do have to be a little patient.

11. Eyebrowsbv31

Eyebrowsbv31 Rookie

I have a knack for finding stuff I don't need that is in high demand. So far I've found Wii's in stock numerous times (hint: check Targets in the afternoon on Weds. and sunday).

Then again, gaming isn't a big thing in Saint Louis, much like everything else (except booze and drugs).

Course, I'm waiting for the better PC version of GTAIV next year.

12. MikeyVassallo

MikeyVassallo Rookie

XBoxLiveLover... You don't have a 360??

13. Miscarriage

Miscarriage Rookie

I just ordered it online and got it today...seems pretty efficient since I don't have to worry about paying more for pre-ordering and such.

14. XboxLiveLover

XboxLiveLover Rookie

lol no I dont but I still have xbox live though! :p

15. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Picked mine up at Sir Friedrich de Meier's at aorund 7pm tonight. They had plenty of copies, and even some Limited Editions left.

16. malakian

malakian Rookie

Shaft is totally right. Why does the gaming community cook up such a 'YOU'LL NEBER GET IT ON RELEASE DAY LOL' hype when I *always* have, with all huge releases i've wanted? It's like you're free marketing for the pre-order business.

Sounds a joy to hear, Nick Tan! Maybe it can enter the hallowed 'Worth a rental' hall, along side such greats as spider man 2 the game, and Shadow the hedgehog.

17. Tylzen

Tylzen Rookie

Here it's total gone, all preorders took all the copies.
    There two GameStop stores had together about 200 copies. And all the preorders had taken those.

I got it at the midnight launch, so I almost have had it for 2 days now :p

18. malakian

malakian Rookie

interesting ty, does that include supermarket stockers though? A lot of big department stores, media shops and supermarkets here besides exclusive game sellers stock them - hmv, zavvi, debenhams, sainsbury's, tesco, woolworths, asda wal-mart to name a few.

19. Tylzen

Tylzen Rookie

Most supermarket stockers here had involved some sort of preordering too.
    Except the largest one, which could be compared with Wallmart.
    but they are also sold out now.

20. TheNesMan

TheNesMan Rookie

I got it at EB games during the midnight release.