Games you hate that "everyone" loves

well, I guess I should just say.. even though I'm finished with higschool now. i'm 18 years old, and going to college in a month.. i could still play pokemon. I mean, its just such a good game even though it may be intended for children I still enjoy it. and to me its one of the best games ever made.

Well, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but the game that I hate that everyone else loves is:

Final Fantasy 7

I've played RPGs for ages, from AD&D on my intellivision (not really an RPG, though Treasure of Tarmin was) to the old Final Fantasies on SNES to Ultima, Fallout and Baldur's Gate on the PC, and I just did not like FF7.

The graphics were great at the time, don't get me wrong, but graphics do not make a good game. The two things I need in an RPG is an immersive universe and a compelling storyline. FF7 had neither in my opinion. With a convoluted storyline that doesn't make any sense half the time, to a universe that had me randomly fighting googly eyed houses on a beach, FF7 was a mediocre RPG with amazing visuals.

Its one of those games that whenever say anything negative about it, people act like I just killed their dog.

- C!

Splinter Cell 1, 2, and 3

Rome: Total War

Every single Legend of Zelda game. I just don't know what people see in them. BTW, yes, I have played every single one realeased thus far, so don't try to flame me for having an opinion.

Colin said:
Well, I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but the game that I hate that everyone else loves is:

Final Fantasy 7

Its one of those games that whenever say anything negative about it, people act like I just killed their dog.

So very, very true! I remember that people are absolutely outraged with Baldrick, the writer who did the review of FF7 on this very site, to this day despite the fact that HE DIDN'T EVEN GIVE THE GAME A BAD REVIEW! He just gave it a B+, a fine score for any game, and people went apeshit over it, because they probably it deserved an A+(such a ridiculous idea that I feel silly just typing it) or something!

Mind you if you think you get it bad if you critque FF7 in any way, you should try claiming that Final Fantasy 8 was better than it. That's my opinion at least, and my God, have I been given a hard time for having it in the RPG forum over the years! Not that FF7 was bad IMO, but FF8 was just so much better in graphics, storyline, characters, gameplay, mini games, and just about everything if you ask me. Stick THAT in your collective pipes and smoke it FF7 fanboys! :wink:

Anyways, games everyone likes which I don't. You know I never was a fan of Ghost Recon, SOCOM or games of their ilk, the strategic team-based shooters are a bit too complex for me personally, I just want to go in there and blast everyone's heads off rather than having to worry about my unit at the same time.

EyeToy I was never a fan of, face it you look ridiculous playing it, it's very tiring and has all the single player depth of a paddling pool, but it seems the fad has worn off now, thank God!

MMORPGs. Rather like Communism it's a great idea, in theory, but when actually excuted it is almost immensely flawed. RPG's are not supposed to be multiplayer experiences IMO, they're all about an in-depth single player experience, about getting engrossed in an epic storyline and getting emotionally attached to the characters, which you can't really do in a game which has no end. Mind you, it would probably work if most of the games weren't dominated by either 13 year old fat male assholes who think typing in proper English is deeply uncool or uber-elitist "I've been playing this game for 5 years so natrually I'm superior to YOU!" gadflys. Seriously, it's not a concept which works IMO.

Pro Evolution Soccer/Winning Eleven. But to be fair, that's solely because I'm not a big fan of football, they're very good for what they are, but I don't like them myself.

That's about all I can think of for now.

Final Fantasy X. I despise this game. When it came out, everyone talked about how amazing it is. For me it was a huge disappointment in every way - terrible voice acting (especially Tidus), lame story (there was a story?), boring characters (except Auron), no real map meant zero exploration, vast and empty enviroments...Bring me FFX disc and I break it with pleasure! :twisted:

I generally tend to hate all the games that have mission-based gameplay without a good streaming storyline. Hitman series for example, even GTA:SA...Talking about GTA, I loved GTA 3 and enjoyed GTA:VC quite a bit but eventually started to hate GTA:SA. Guess I'm tired of all the free-roaming games now..

BoyAnachronism said:
Colin said:

Final Fantasy 7

So very, very true! I remember that people are absolutely outraged with Baldrick, the writer who did the review of FF7 on this very site, to this day despite the fact that HE DIDN'T EVEN GIVE THE GAME A BAD REVIEW! He just gave it a B+, a fine score for any game, and people went apeshit over it, because they probably it deserved an A+(such a ridiculous idea that I feel silly just typing it) or something!

Mind you if you think you get it bad if you critque FF7 in any way, you should try claiming that Final Fantasy 8 was better than it. That's my opinion at least, and my God, have I been given a hard time for having it in the RPG forum over the years! Not that FF7 was bad IMO, but FF8 was just so much better in graphics, storyline, characters, gameplay, mini games, and just about everything if you ask me. Stick THAT in your collective pipes and smoke it FF7 fanboys! :wink: .

I have been saying this for years. The only reason FFVII is so big is because of Arieths death. Great twist that kept the story going, but other than that move the story was kind of hackneyed and choppy.

FFVIII I enjoyed a lot more, it had a better plot, and more realistic characters in my book.

metroid prime series
pokeon games
yu-gi-oh
rune-scape
madden
mlb 2k(a number here)
the sims(all of them)
super mario baseball

Halo
Any Final Fantasy
Zelda
Resident Evil 4

and yea, i played em all....except a bunch of FF games

LinksOcarina said:
BoyAnachronism said:
Colin said:

Final Fantasy 7

Mind you if you think you get it bad if you critque FF7 in any way, you should try claiming that Final Fantasy 8 was better than it. That's my opinion at least, and my God, have I been given a hard time for having it in the RPG forum over the years! Not that FF7 was bad IMO, but FF8 was just so much better in graphics, storyline, characters, gameplay, mini games, and just about everything if you ask me. Stick THAT in your collective pipes and smoke it FF7 fanboys! :wink: .

I have been saying this for years. The only reason FFVII is so big is because of Arieths death. Great twist that kept the story going, but other than that move the story was kind of hackneyed and choppy.

FFVIII I enjoyed a lot more, it had a better plot, and more realistic characters in my book.
Aeris' death was only a plot twist if you got there in the first week it was out. After that everyone knew that she died. I didn't even think it was that emotional or anything, only because i found her annoying/useless. FFVIII was better in most ways. The Junction was better than materia because materia was mostly bought, and junction had to be earned from various monsters or found. The Card game was fun and addicting, even though i would loose all my cards :D . Also i enjoyed that there were 6 charecters and it was easier to figure out which ones you wanted in your group. I also enjoyed the fact that you had to earn your weapons instead of just buying them. One more thing I enjoyed was the end when time gets compressed. Then the ending was way better than 7's.

Counter-Strike. I guess its because I got into it through GR, and expected so much, but the honest truth was that by the time I first played it, it was incredibly outdated.

I try to enjoy it every once in awhile, but I can'.t I'd rather just play other online shooters.

Runescape
Any Final Fantasy past 8. The original 3 was the best.
Grand Theft Auto series (For the most part.)
Need For Speed/Project Gotham/Grand Turismo.
Half Life 2.
Pokemon.

Edit: KINGDOM HEARTS. 1+2

I never understood the hype behind FF either. 12 is probably going to be great, granted..but I don't think it really compares to everything out there. Eh, whatever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod