GAME OF THE YEAR - 2018

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Maybe it's too early to start this thread, but I thought I'd get in a tad early because A - I don't come on the forums much nowadays and B - not a lot of people do, honestly. Feel free to edit this list as December pulls up, because we all know 2018 isn't over when it comes to games on the way. For now... here are the categories:

1. Best first person shooter -

2. Best multiplayer -

3. Best action/adventure -

4. Best platformer -

5. Best fighting -

6. Best racing/driving -

7. Best RPG -

8. Best VR -

9. Best graphics -

10. Best soundtrack -

11. Best story/narrative -

12. Best performance (voice acting) -

13. Best DLC -

14. Best handheld -

15. GAME OF THE YEAR 2018 -

16. WORST GAME OF 2018 -

17. Most disappointing of 2018 (this doesn't necessarily mean the 'worst' game, maybe you played it and you still enjoyed it, but the hype train lead you to be disappointed. A great example is 2015's Batman: Arkham Knight) -

As a heads up, you do not have to fulfill the entire criteria. If you haven't played a particular category, that's all good.

Last edited:
Here's my personal list so far, but is subject to change (honestly, it seems quite predictable that I would choose the following):

1. Best first person shooter -
It's not quite a "shooter" but it's still first person, but Subnautica takes this one, followed by Far Cry 5.

2. Best multiplayer - Monster Hunter: World, followed by Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 (Blackout Mode) and Far Cry 5's co-op mode. I would say Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, but Nintendo really messed up the online play.

3. Best action/adventure - Spider-Man, followed closely by Red Dead Redemption 2 and God of War.

4. Best platformer - Didn't play any.

5. Best fighting - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

6. Best racing/driving - Didn't play any.

7. Best RPG - I didn't play any RPGs this year except for Secret of Mana, and there's no bloody way that's getting this vote.

8. Best VR - Still have yet to play any VR this year, let alone at all!

9. Best graphics - Red Dead Redemption 2, followed by a tie of God of War and Spider-Man.

10. Best soundtrack - God of War.

11. Best story/narrative - Red Dead Redemption 2, followed by Spider-Man.

12. Best performance (voice acting) - Roger Clark as Arthur Morgan, Red Dead Redemption 2.

13. Best DLC - Probably Spider-Man (The City That Never Sleeps), as I didn't download much this year.

14. Best handheld - Didn't play any handheld games this year, really.

15. GAME OF THE YEAR 2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2, followed by Spider-Man, then God of War.

16. WORST GAME OF 2018 - Secret of Mana remake.

17. Most disappointing of 2018 - Secret of Mana remake, followed by Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Last edited:
I think the only game I've played that was released this year is God of War. So I guess it wins all categories by default. It definitely wins the best multiplayer award as it didn't have any, and that is the best multiplayer! :p

I think the only game I've played that was released this year is God of War. So I guess it wins all categories by default. It definitely wins the best multiplayer award as it didn't have any, and that is the best multiplayer! :p

God of War is a damn fine game that will most likely win so many awards.

2018 has been a pretty good year for games, in my opinion. We've had God of War, Spider-Man, Red Dead Redemption and personally for me, I can't wait to play Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on the Switch.

While not exactly "Game of the Year", we've also had other cool releases like The Evil Within 2, Monster Hunter: World and Far Cry 5.

We've also had some disappointments, as well. Shadow of the Tomb Raider for one (although, I imagine many people will disagree with me there, and that's fine) and the Secret of Mana remake.

Last edited:
God of War is a damn fine game that will most likely win so many awards.

After finishing it, I picked up Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology which has been a fun read. Definitely some differences between the actual mythology and what is represented in the GoW game, but you can also see where they took inspiration.

For me too it's the game God of War that I liked most this year, I will not go back too much detail on the many positive points because they are well perceived by all (gameplay, story, graphics, music , character development, small aspect rpg, exploration with quests rather well scripted ...)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UC Browser SHAREit MX Player

Last edited:
I don't have one for every category, but I do have a few picks:

Best First Person Shooter - DUSK

Best Multiplayer - Monster Hunter: World

Best Fighting Game - Soul Calibur VI

Best RPG - Monster Hunter: World

Best DLC - Destiny 2: Forsaken

Game of the Year 2018 - Monster Hunter: World

I actually have all mine listed on my site. I've been doing it since 2010 and I find it really fun. For me GotY was God of War hands down. I have almost 20 categories I use and my rule for platform awards is that I only nominate exclusives and there's a separate category for multi-platform. I nixed Vita, 3DS, and Xbox One this year as there were nearly no exclusives for those to nominate 5 games.

binarymessiah.wordpress.com/category/game-of-the-year-awards/2018/

I still have 2 more categories to post plus my game of the year this weekend.

To stick to the format for this forum however, I'll fill in my picks

1. Best first person shooter - Battlefield V

2. Best multiplayer - Monster Hunter World

3. Best action/adventure - God of War

4. Best platformer - Spyro Reignited Trilogy

5. Best fighting - Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

6. Best racing/driving - Forza Horizon 4

7. Best RPG - Octopath Traveler

8. Best VR - Don't play VR games

9. Best graphics - God of War

10. Best soundtrack - God of War

11. Best story/narrative - God of War

12. Best performance (voice acting) - God of War

13. Best DLC - Not sure

14. Best handheld - Not enough good handheld games came out this year

15. GAME OF THE YEAR 2018 - God of War

16. WORST GAME OF 2018 - Fallout 76

Last edited:
Made some friends when i am bored playing Archwar Heroes and Demons on Playstore.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210219_121015.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219_121015.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210219_121029.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219_121029.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20210219_121043.jpg
    Screenshot_20210219_121043.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Forum statistics