Experimenting with the Atmosphere

Random, but I decided that I wanted to play around a bit and see if playing certain music would change the mood of the game I was playing. So I decided to play Left 4 Dead while listening to some happier music.

I had to turn off the music as soon as I started playing. It just seemed all wrong and I couldn't focus and I just started laughing. So I'm wondering, has anyone else done anything like this before? Trying to play music that has an opposite feeling of the games? How did it work out?

Or do you ever have certain things going on when you play?

Usualy while I play games, if they have a stellar soundtrack I leave the game sound on.

But I mostly listen to my favorite music in MMORPG's as in WoW, WAR etc. because the music there is so bland and uninspirative it usualy make me want to play less then more. :p

Probably because the fact that the music most MMORPG's use are pretty boring - at least for me.

Well, I usually listen to Gorillaz when i play games, because its just calming and i work more methodical and get into that spot where i dont even need to think about what im playing.
I turn on heavier stuff when i get online though.

Uver said:
Well, I usually listen to Gorillaz when i play games, because its just calming and i work more methodical and get into that spot where i dont even need to think about what im playing.
I turn on heavier stuff when i get online though.

Talk about heavy, just discovered this sweet sweet band -

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=YiMpY_NJQJE

Definitely a piece I'll be hearing from now on while I play some good ol' sweet FPS online. :D

Play any game with the Benny Hill music playing. You will laugh your ass off.

Also, I have yet to find a song that gets me more pumped up then Reach for the Sky by Social Distortion.

Back in the day before voice acting and musical scores in games I'd listen to anything while gaming. Nowadays i really can't do it, espeically if the game has a deep plot.

Yeah, if I'm playing online against random people or if i'm playing a single player game which is full of action i'll listen to music (i've found myself listening to Brimful of Asha a lot, by the way). But if i'm trying to understand the story then i won't.

I never listen to the ingame music. I'm not sure how it affects my playing, but I listen to classical music as well as rock and it never really seems out of place. Sometimes, if I'm really into a band at the same time I'm playing through a certain game, I'll be reminded of the other while listening or playing one. Such as Breaking Benjamin and Halo. Granted, I haven't played Halo in about 2 years though.

I only do when I'm leveling in RPG's and I'm quite used to the game music. So FF7 from Level 50 onwards, I go ipod trippin'!

I wouldn't wanna try it with a scary game, it'd ruin the atmosphere for me! I love all the music and sounds in Dead Space, even though they scare the shit out of me!

I just plug my iPod into my 360 and play Bioshock to whatever music I already had going. Lemme tell you, it makes the game soo much more relaxing.. and plus I get pretty freaked out at most parts in the game, especially where I am now in Fort Frolic.. so my own music settles me down a lot.

keepithowitis said:
I just plug my iPod into my 360 and play Bioshock to whatever music I already had going. Lemme tell you, it makes the game soo much more relaxing.. and plus I get pretty freaked out at most parts in the game, especially where I am now in Fort Frolic.. so my own music settles me down a lot.

I just got to the Wharf myself, and Im trying to find the Spider Splicers, and Im freaked out.

I actually started listening to music while I play. I have to say, I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I really enjoy video game music, but sometimes it's just OK.

Oh, and same with.. shit, what's that game called.. Kingdom for Keflings. That's it. Being the achievement whore that I am, I'm not gonna stop till I build that damn cathedral and get 30 more gamerscores. The only problem is that the music makes me want to kick those little pieces of shit keflings all over the place. So I put some Tribe Called Quest in, and i'm completely fine. Anyone else ever played that thing? I can't stand it, but it's fun in the way that you'd never want anyone to find out you play it.

I always listen to the game soundtrack while playing. A game is a visual and aural experience, much like a film. If done well, the soundtrack will enhance the game. Dead Space and Okami are good examples.

I like to listen custom music in free roam games. To other games it doesn't fit IMO. And why in the hell I cant listen music from my ipod with ps3!??!

Well, I can't listen to music using my mp3 player through my 360. So..if you wanna.....swap, maybe?

Absolutely, tigerlilly. I used to put music dealing with real world issues like girls and politics while playing resident evil 2 when I was about 14, as I was simply too scared to play it without something creating a dichotomy that stopped me being too drawn in to a particularly unnerving dystopic future.

I also once did it with morrowind and some more pumped up tunes to try and make the combat more exciting...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod