Musical problem

Kijan

Rookie
Hey guys,

I've got little problem I hope that you'll be able to help me with. I love to play videogames, I love to watch movies and I love to listen to music. But there's a problem - I can mostly do these things when it's night, after I've done all my study and other tasks ... but then my family is already sleeping and I know they won't be really happy in the morning if I'll keep pounding trance music, playing some L4D or trying to watch a good action flick with the sound on.

So I've decided to buy myself a set of headphones and here comes the main problem ... which one should I buy? I'd like a quality one with which I could enjoy playing games, viewing movies and listening to music. A type that's wireless and one that is also compatible with the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Hope I'm not asking too much, but if you could suggest me some headphones that cover all these bases ... I'd be mucho grande happy.

I know you guys have a good sense of quality and taste ... and that you just LOVE to help a fellow GR when he's a damsel in distress. You do right? RIGHT!? 8)

What kind of sound do you like? Are you a big bass person, or do you like big sound stages? I'm assuming you would be in a room by yourself when you wear them so open headphones are a possibility. Will you just be planning on plugging them into your PC? A lot of the time headphones will only go as far as the sound source.

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD650s along with various other pairs so I know quite a bit about them at least. (

Hmmm ... very specific question Green. :)

Don't know really, I've never put much thought into it. I think I'm more of a big bass person because I like it when my house is shaking due to Pendulum music.

I'll be in a room by myself but what does an open headphone mean? Don't want it to wake up my family.

I'd like to use them when I'm playing both my PC and consoles (PS3, Xbox 360) - so if there's a possibility for headphones that can be used on all three systems I'd be very grateful for the recommendation. Plus wireless. :)

Open ear are the type that sit on your ears, as opposed to in-ear (buds) or over-ear (cans). If you want to keep the sound to yourself, go with cans. I like the Sony Studio Monitor series.

Open ear and can headphones ... some of the models seem very similar.

I want to keep the sound for myself, so I?ll go with useds suggestion --> can headphones for me. :D

I use wired sennheiser hd 580's for listening to media and when I DJ. Lead is kevlar coated and very long so it comfortably stretches from my tv to me when I'm lounging around.

Like I say, they're wired, so i don't know if that helps beyond a strong recommendation of sennheiser cups.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 650's, some modded 555's (basically 595's now), a pair of Bose QC2's, and I'm looking at getting some grados once i can afford them. since i'm djing now, i've been looking at a lot of different types of cans but either way, you should be looking at getting over-ear or on-ear headphones. it really makes a difference to have a great pair of headphones for movies/games/music at night. Honestly, you could go with a couple different pairs for multiple uses.

My 650's are studio only, meaning mixing music and listening to music, I don't plan on taking them out for other use; honestly, since they're so open, there's not much of a point bringing them outside the house. My 555's are pretty much the same, I've brought them on the bus a few times but I end up getting too much background noise and people around me can hear what I'm listening to. Honestly, though, Sennheiser makes the best headphones I've heard, and you would definitely be happy with some 555's, 595's, or 600-650's. If you plan on taking them on planes, car rides, etc, I'd recommend going with some closed, or noise-canceling, headphones. They might get a little annoying at home because you can never hear anything around you, but for places where you don't want to hear things around you, they are perfect. My Bose QC2's do just that, and although they're battery powered (sucks), I can take them for weeklong trips and be fine on battery by the time I'm home. They're great for plane rides as they drown out almost all the engine whine, and overall they're the best headphones I've used for travel.

Also, don't leave out gaming headphones, Turtle Beaches, etc. I had some X2's for a few years before they crapped out on me but they were great-sounding as far as wireless headphones go. The microphone worked great and they were really comfortable for gaming, listening to music, anything. The downside is you look pretty stupid taking them outside the house though.

But yeah, overall it depends whether you're keeping them inside or not. My Sennheiser 650's are really awesome, I could never see myself regretting purchasing them. If you can afford a pair i'm sure you'll feel the same. however, you won't be too happy bringing them along with you; if you just want them for indoor use, though, that's my recommendation.

Well if you would prefer wireless, most studio headphones go out the window. Yes, the HD650s are great headphones, but they wouldn't sound very good right out of a PC (preferably need some sort of amplification) I do want a pair of grados sometime, but in total I have a pair of 650s, 595s, and Audio Technica AD700s (really good and really cheap)...

I don't really know about shipping or if this is a US only thing, but you might want to look into either the astro A30 or A40 headphones with the mixamp right here. I can't say I've ever heard them, but they get really great reviews and they're wireless.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle