Education

Are you good at lifting people and dealing with sick people shit?

Honestly, nursing is not a bad job. Male nurses are always in demand, and it isn't as demanding as being a doctor.

Education, important, but a work ethic and the ability to think for yourself need to be attached to that education.

Nursing isn't a bad decision. It's essentially a profitable skill because you can work a day job AND take on night work doing home health if you ever need to supplement extra income.

Longo_2_guns said:
Are you good at lifting people and dealing with sick people s***?

Honestly, nursing is not a bad job. Male nurses are always in demand, and it isn't as demanding as being a doctor.

Im basically a nurse for a 98 year old rich lady right now. Have been for 4 years.

intoTheRain said:
Longo_2_guns said:
Are you good at lifting people and dealing with sick people s***?

Im basically a nurse for a 98 year old rich lady right now. Have been for 4 years.

I know a chick who works as a nurse for the prison. She is pretty hot.

I think she went to a nursing school for it, but hey, there is a path you can take.

I went to college for Journalism... Four years later I'm working in shipping at a book factory ensuring our books are sent to the right stores. And my English has suffered both in writing when dealing with todays youth (your a righter?) and vocabulary when dealing with my immigrant co-workers.

Alot of the times I find it's not what you know it's who you know. But that saying doesn't apply if you're simply dumb as fuck. So school helps you improve your skills, but don't count on the education on your resume to win you a job you want.

I got this job in addition to building armor for the US marines 4-5 years ago. It was like 8 hours a week simple work just helpinvlg the old lady and her husband with stuff around the house. Armor building was my main job.

What was easy and 8 hours quickly turned into the most mentally challenging hard work ive ever done in my life for 48 hours a week. I quit my other job cause i felt i couldnt let them down.

The old man had severe dementia. Hed try to escape the house, turned on his kids etc. A night at work could consist of me sitting at his side for 12 hours. Hed think it was morning and id have to lift him out of bed, dress him, put his shoes on, put him on thr toilet, then hed be tired. Id undress him, take his shoes off, put him in bed. Hed doze off maybe for 20 seconds, open his eyes think it was morning and id repeat the process for a steady 12 hours.

Sometimes hed just insist on getting up, and then getting back down. So i turned that into his exercise to try and tire him out a bit so he could get some sleep. Hed get up and sit back down for hours at a time.

Ive worked physical jobs my entire life, but nothing ever left me half as drained when i got home as this did. But it was very rewarding. 4 others worked here and i just had a special way with him. Now everyone tells me my gift is working with and understanding people. So i guess i might roll with it.

Two nights before he passed away i rolled him out to his tv room and we watched superbad and i gave him cinnabuns his favorite lol. He was 96.

Watched usain bolt beat his previous world record with him. He loved that. I stayed with him for most of the final week cause his family didnt want anyone else here.

After he died they got rid of one worker and i got to pick my hours. The plan was the wife was gonna go in a home a few weeks after. Its been over two years now. I work a lot of hours but sleep for half of them at night. Shes still in pretty good health. So im gonna start takinh nursing while working here as i can study and do work here at night, and do school during the day.

I kinda run the show now. Two girls work under me and i do all the planning and decide whats what.

I bring home roughly 1000 a week after taxes so it pays the bills for now.

Wow Rain thats pretty awesome I could never do that I have no patience what so ever, but anyways thats pretty cool man helping out older people who need it not many people can do that.

thanks. yea.. most people would not have the patience for it. I wouldn't think I would, but i made it through. But looking back now I honestly don't know how I did. It was tough. But worth it.

C_nate said:
If you are going to go, make sure you are going to get a degree in something that you actually have a shot at doing once school is done. A lot of people with degrees are working at places like starbucks because they took a major in something that isn't hiring.

Don't overlook trades. My cousin went the electrician route and is making very good money as well as someone close to me who is a nurse that cleared 70k gross last year. Currently going to classes to either do occupational therapy or nursing myself.

NickKmet said:
MattAY said:
It's probably a different debate over here considering our tuition fees just went up, so it now costs around £9K per YEAR to go to university now.

Not like it's any cheaper here Mattay. Tuition at my school is over $30,000 a year now, and that doesn't count room and board, which is usually another $6,000 to $8,000. There are also a lot of schools that cost a lot more, though plenty that cost less. It just depends where you go.

College debt is a huge problem in this country right now though - it's well over a trillion dollars. Fortunately, I'm getting my undergraduate degree free of debt. But if I want a post-graduate degree, I'll be paying for that. My brother just took on $70,000 in debt for his masters, which my parents can't believe. I have to remind them that most of my friends from school are taking on that much debt for their undergrad, and a lot of them will take on more for a masters.

s***'s ridiculous in the US.

These two things right here seem to be the most true.

I value education and pride myself on what I have done. I graduated with my Bachelors 16 months ago (in 51k debt) and hold two teaching certificates, I've spent my time since then waiting tables and substituting. I recently took a job at as an account manager for a IT firm downtown as the teaching field in Texas is completely dried up.

Of my friends that have graduated college in the past year, one of them waited tables for 18 months before getting an entry level 30k job. Two more are currently waiting tables. One is a customer service representative for a local company. Two work as stock boys in stores. Another friend is a shift supervisor at UPS. Another buddy of mine is a bartender. I have another friend working in a metals production factory. Of all my friends that have graduated college since the end of 2009, 3 currently have a job in their field, two of which are stuck at entry level salaries (30-35k) that are lower than the total amount of their student loan and there is one success story, and this is out of about 14-15 of us. Like a 7% success rate with degrees ranging from accounting, English, business, environmental science, history, etc.

I wanted to go get my masters or law school, but I am in enough debt as it is and can't afford the extra burden. Currently my payments are $314 a month on 24k of it with another 27k being deferred. Getting a masters degree would be taking on 70-80k worth of debt while law school can add on 150k.

I love education and value it tremendously. But the system in America is so screwed up with record numbers in youth unemployment, youth starting salary, and the average debt amount of college graduates, it is almost not worth it to go to college currently in the United States. It is a giant uphill battle for graduates with saturated job market where everybody has more experience than you, but is willing to take the same entry level salary you are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Playnft