Coolest musical instrument invented!! *orgasm*

EliaSoZ

Rookie
Apparently it's a new invention by a UK company called Eigenlabs. It's called an Eigenharp. There are three versions, the best and most expensive, is called an Eigenharp Alpha. It goes for about $5000, the cheapest is around $500-$600 and I assume at the very least lacks the percussion keys and LED lights.

According to wiki:
The distinctive characteristics of all of the instruments are (alpha version here):
-A matrix of velocity sensitive multi-expressive keys, each of which act like a 4-way analog joystick. This allows the simultaneous pitch bend and modulation (or other parameters) of each played note individually.
-A stick-like vertical form factor akin to a sitar for the larger models or a flute in the smaller ones.
-A built-in wind controller, giving the larger versions of the instrument an appearance similar to a basoon.
-One or two ribbon controller strips.
-Macintosh-only control software.
-A series of percussion keys (at the bottom).
-A built-in step sequencer with indicator LEDs for each key.

Here are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcVqJh0qEMc (3 piece Moby cover)

http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3Laq2788EE (another 3 piece Moby cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u51YEtNMWUs (solo cover of DJ Shadow with decent use of the percussion instruments)

I want that sooooo bad! Time to get a part time job :X

I'm so glad I spent so much time learning how to tap on guitar....now I can put that to use elsewhere.

After I get $5000.

That DJ Shadow cover was pretty damn sweet. Didn't look at the rest.

But man, if I wasn't saving up for an 800D I'd be saving for that. Pretty kickass.

Seriously? No one is saying it? Am i the only one who notice it? fine fine, i'll say it.

The thing looks like a bong

So it's an electric Sitar? Alright, I can dig it. Although now people won't care when I play my actual sitar.

Also,
EliaSoZ said:
-Macintosh-only control software.
Is that supposed to be advertised as a plus? Because why on Earth would you put the software on a place where the software can't be easily improved?

Saw this on tv about half a year back. Wasn't too impressed - it's still just effectively a midi controller.

I'll keep with my keyboards and korg pads for now!

If you guys actually read the specs, you'd notice it offers a wider range of control than just a simple synthesizer.

But I see your point, it basically is a really advanced, and really expensive, synthesizer.

I still want it.

I'm a very experienced electronic musician and i can tell you it isn't a synthesizer, it's a controller. All its singin' and dancin' abilities will depend on the synth it's controlling (and specifically the parameters each control is linked to) when it reaches the macintosh.

I suppose it is an innovative method of control, though.

malakian said:
Saw this on tv about half a year back. Wasn't too impressed - it's still just effectively a midi controller.

I'll keep with my keyboards and korg pads for now!

/agree

But this thing still sounds/looks f'kin awesome.

It just seems to be another instrument that teenagers will get as a gift, take a few lessons, quit because its to hard, and then never touch it again.

DocMoc said:
It just seems to be another instrument that teenagers will get as a gift, take a few lessons, quit because its to hard, and then never touch it again.

For $5000, those are some teenagers with REALLY wealthy friends...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod