Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diomedes

Rookie
From the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7766332.stm

Sample:
The Canadian Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, has managed to hang onto power by his fingernails, capping an extraordinary and unprecedented week in Canadian politics.

The country's governor general, Michaelle Jean, agreed to the prime minister's request to prorogue - or suspend - parliament until 26 January.

Prorogation was one of the few powers Mr Harper had at his disposal to stave off an opposition vote of non-confidence scheduled for Monday, 8 December.

His minority Conservative government would have almost certainly been toppled, just two months after Canadian voters went to the polls.

Any thoughts on this? I think it's disgusting what Harper is doing.

A section of James Laxer's blog: http://www.jameslaxer.com/blog.html

The Lord Protector is seeking to make a fundamental change in our governing arrangements. His goal is to nullify the historic right of members of parliament to decide in timely fashion who has the confidence of the House Commons. Instead, he has bet his future on his ability to subvert the will of parliament by unleashing a storm of popular fury across the country. Not quite across the country. The popular fury will be directed not only at the Liberals and the NDP, but above all at the right of Bloc Quebecois members of parliament to function in the decision making of the federal government.

The Lord Protector has his scapegoat. That scapegoat is Quebec.

By attempting this issue Harper is subverting the democratically expressed will of the people, the Canadian parliamentary system of government, using the economic crises as a means to destroy opposition rather than as a time to help rebuild the country, resort to extremely dirty politics (lying in interviews, calling Quebecois separatists in English and "sovereigntists" in French), and above all he is initiating a partisan agenda with a minority government. I have never been so disgusted with the actions of the Conservative government and I am now.

Bob Rae was right when he stated Stephen Harper is unfit to govern.

Also, I suggest reading Rick Mercer's blog if you're interested in all this: http://www.rickmercer.com/

Wow. I live like right across the border from Canada, and I've never heard of any of those people or anything about this issue until now. What's funny is we have to wait until the 20th of January to get rid of our Conservative, devious, dubious, war-mongering, partisan, and completely hated President, who also happens to now be in the political minority. They will be kicked out a week apart. We should have an international, cross-border party that lasts the whole week! We'll party from the 20th to the 23rd here in the USA, then cross the border and party on until your Lord Protector is ousted! I'm only a few hours from Edmonton.

The faster Harper is gone the better. Plus I don't want to got through another election where I know the Marijuana has no chance.

The Queen doesn't support him, the GG merely gave him a bit more time to repair his screwups. Rest assured, if he messes up again the coalition will take over.

The sooner he's gone, and Bob Rae takes over, the better.

I just can't imagine what this would be like if the Conservatives got a majority.

Personally I prefer Ignatieff... but either would be better than Harper. Hell, I'll continue with Dion if it means removing Harper.

So, Dion is stepping down earlier than anticipated; we may have Ignatieff as interim leader as early as this Wednesday!

I have to admit, I hate to see good people destroyed by the political machine, but this really is the best thing that could happen for the survival of the Liberal party, and the coalition.

I rally want Rae over Iggy. The only fault is that Canadians may not like a former NDP leader running the liberals.

If Rae were chosen as leader, the Conservatives would have so much ammunition, the man has a huge amount of baggage...
But, we don't have to worry about that, Rae stepped out of the race today, so Ignatieff is the next leader of the Liberals.

StalfrosCC said:

BT-canadaamericashat-catalog-2419.jpg

Harper's a complete hack. I'm really hoping that the coalition goes through, so that man can stop pissing our country away.

Unfortunately he's got the country so riled up against the coalition with his lies and spin that I fear if the coalition ever went ahead, next time there is a general election the Conservatives would be handed a majority.

It's up to Ignatieff to try and win support back by showing the public how much of a liar Harper is. I still see replies to news articles posted daily talking of "handing power to the separatists" which has been proven incorrect numerous times.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133