Are you a singleplayer or multiplayer gamer?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by used44, Jul 28, 2014.

?

Singleplayer or Multiplayer

1. Singleplayer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Multiplayer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Poll time!

Do you play more singleplayer or multiplayer games? I'm sure most people play a bit of each, but which do you play more of and which do you prefer? If you have a big preference toward one, is there a certain game of the other type that pulls you away and tips the balance?

2. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

I prefer multiplayer games that create the story as the users play. Sadly, as I get older I think that I really only have time for single player games that allow me to play at my own pace without fear of being left behind b/c my skills aren't sharp.

[​IMG]

Just a thought... Nursing homes... for gamers..

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I play more multiplayer games now simply because I can and didn't used to be able to, though I prefer single player games in general.

4. C_nate

C_nate Rookie

The only time I really play multiplayer games is when I'm playing a mmo like WoW. All other types of games, single player. And I find it pretty annoying that they try to stick multiplayer modes on every type of game now. D3 is a perfect example. I don't want to connect to bnet and try to be forced to play with other people by offering more rewards for playing multiplayer mode. I already bought your game and am playing it, what else do you want from me? Just leave me alone!

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

While I do play both single and multiplayer games, I prefer single player games and am honestly biased towards them.

Games that emphasize storyline or/and exploration really capture me and they capture me quite easily too. Notable games can include the Mass Effect series, games by Bethesda such as Fallout 3 and Skyrim, and other storyline driven games like the Uncharted series. If a single player game fails to excite me (such as Mirror's Edge or Star Wars: The Force Unleashed) then I won't make a return to playing it.

If a single player game has a multiplayer component, I may play it and I'll continue to play it if I actually enjoy it. However I'll only start playing multiplayer once I've finished the single player campaign. Notable games can include Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and Splinter Cell: Blacklist. I would include Mario Kart 8 for the Wii U on this list, but I have trouble playing online for some reason. Something to do with my connection?

I enjoy co-op games too and when it comes to co-op, I prefer split screen on the one television and console. Sadly there aren't a lot of games that offer that so much anymore, but a few examples here can include Diablo III for PS3, the New Super Mario Bros. for Wii U and Super Mario 3D World for Wii U too.

6. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I'm both. I like my story and single playing experience, but it sucks playing alone. Sometimes the best fun is enjoying a game with friends online or locally.

7. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

I have run out of new single player games to play so I play multiplayer.

8. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Singleplayer because I don't need a video game to make friends. Just kidding!

I do both but single player 70% of the time every time.

9. Lien

Lien Rookie

I'm more a little column A, a little column B to tell the truth. I play with friends on one week, i want to just relax and play Civ5 by myself for the other week.

10. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm easily a single player guy. I love the story and immersion of the campaign rather than playing with randomers. There are a few exceptions, one actually - Halo.

Most single player games were MADE for the single player experience. But games nowadays have to chuck in multiplayer because these days you just have to have it. Dead Space 2 is an example. The single player was fantastic, but the multiplayer they introduced was absolutely piss poor. But they threw it in because they thought they had to.

I can imagine the PC gamer is a multiplayer guy, and the console gamer is more inclined to single player games. As a very broad summary!

11. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

In college I was a much more Multiplayer oriented gamer, but that's back when CoD was actually fun. Now I mostly just play single player - even when was playing WoW for a while I mostly just did stuff on my own.

12. Sightless

Sightless Veteran

I would play more multiplayer games if more of my friends played games. Or if someone were interested enough to spend hours immersed in the same game/story. My multiplayer experience recently has consisted of playing MK8 with UghRochester. :|

I also play MMOs single player. What do you mean you suggest a 5p party for this dungeon?

13. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

^I would love to play with everyone here too, but we would all need to agree on a game in advance to purchase (preferably PC) otherwise it'll never happen.

14. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

That was only a couple times. It couldn't be such a chunk of the pie, could it?

15. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I never got to play the Dead Space 2 multiplayer. It didn't interest me, but this reminds me of the multiplayer of Batman: Arkham Origins. Good idea that was badly executed and thus no one ever played. Hell, I never got to play when I tried because no one would ever join the games, and when they did it became a game of its own - wait patiently for more players to arrive to fill up the room to start before the inevitable happens - people leave out of impatience.

I think that's how I usually treat consoles/PC. Console = mostly single player, PC = more multiplayer. Although lately I've been doing a lot of single player on my PC, e.g. Dark Souls II.

16. Sightless

Sightless Veteran

UghRochester, that's the only multiplayer thing I've been playing lately. I'd say it's a large enough piece, considering the number of games played, rather than number of instances.

17. gamerevolution00

I would prefer playing Multiplayer games.

18. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

This happened to me and probably many others too. I wanted to at least give the multiplayer a try, but anytime I attempted to join a game, I sat waiting for enough players. After 10-15 minutes of waiting, watching as names come and go in the list, I'm done with it and I go do something else.

OT: I vastly prefer a single player experience to a multiplayer one, however I will usually give MP a try for any game that contains it. I have quite enjoyed the MP of the Assassin's Creed games as I liked that in order to do well you had to carefully execute your assassinations, not just run around the map like a madman. Had lots of fun with Uncharted 2's MP as well.

Co-op MP is my favorite though, especially shared/split screen. Dynasty Warriors games have always been fun, though the view quite limited, and any side-scrolling beat-'em-ups are entertaining. I have had fun with Dragon's Crown most recently, though I think my favorite of the last generation was Resistance 2's co-op mode. The missions were a blast and I liked the three roles you could choose from.

19. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Both, I love all my children

20. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

I forgot to say I only do multiplayer when it is co-op. Competitive multiplayer usually ends with me hating humanity.

The sad thing is when I was 13 I would get my ass kicked in Street Fighter II by some 20-something. Now here it is 25 years later playing Street Fighter II online and getting my ass kicked by some 13 year old.

YEAH YOU KNOW WHAT IF I HAD THE LUXURY OF PLAYING STREET FIGHTER ALL DAY EVERY DAY WITHOUT NEEDING TO PUT IN QUARTERS I WOULD BE GOOD TOO BUT GUESS WHAT I HAVE A LIFE!

...*breath*