Apparently, science is dead

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Dave Matthews, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Nefro

Nefro Guest

Well, the whole point of getting to heaven through finding salvation through Jesus Christ would be pretty pointless if everybody knew that God existed and that they should follow the teachings of Jesus, wouldn't it?

2. FireWall

FireWall Rookie

No, not "almost like a scientist changing the results to suit his needs." Religions change because normative ideas change; theories and hypotheses change because experimental results spark new problems. There is a stark textural distinction between the former and the latter.

Actually, I take back what I said earlier: specifically, that science does not require faith. It is important to understand that experimental science does not seek to "prove"; indeed, the basis of the philosophy of science is that it is impossible to draw an infinite number of conclusions from a finite quantity of experimental data. Nevertheless, scientific theories are incredibly sound because they require a multitude of supportive evidence. Consequently, religious faith is profoundly different than scientific faith; the former does not rely on facts, and the latter does. In the final analysis, therefore, the basis of science will always be cushioned by the irrefutability of verifiable facts, and the same cannot be said about religion, which is dependent on cultural dynamics.

3. TheNesMan

TheNesMan Rookie

Excellent post firewall, i'm interested in seeing a rebuttal.

4. FireWall

FireWall Rookie

As far as the distinction between microevolution and macroevolution is concerned, I have a few points:

Science is based on both empiricism and deduction, and the former is not superior to the latter. Consider, e.g., subatomic particles: it is impossible to empirically verify that they exist, but we know that they do because there is a prodigious quantity of evidence that implies their existence. In other words, scientists cannot observe subatomic particles in atoms; deduction from other evidence is the only option. However, it would be naive to deny that subatomic particles exist.

Similarly, there is no empirical evidence that macroevolution occurs because it is presently impossible to empirically verify the progression of organisms through enormous spans of time. However, through other kinds of evidence (e.g., fossilized biological remains), it is possible to deduce that speciation occurs.

Also, I appreciate the support from those of you who complimented me.

5. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

I wouldn't dare argue with you, as you'd put me in my place :lol: .. but it doesn't change what I believe :D

I Heart Firewall

6. maca2kx

maca2kx Rookie

Ok I'll change that slightly:

"Adaptation becomes evolution when successful traits manifested from superior genes are continued on due to the extended survival of the 'owner' of the stronger genes to such an extent that the continued genetic line can be considered a separate species to the genetic lines that have remained unchanged and this can be determined by seeing if a member from each group can successfully mate and produce fertile offspring."

Sam