Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To an extent

• Corny Poll Option Placeholder

• Total voters

De-Ting

Rookie
Who is bored of all video games in their entirety? It seems like everything is either "been there, done that" or a new idea that is either ruined by poor execution or just terrible to begin with.

Somebody needs to do something drastic with video games. I'm talking a complete overhaul of the system. Everything that people consider "high quality" is becoming obsolete.

There are plenty of great games out there. The problem is there are about as many decent/good games that are being hailed as even better than great.

But honestly, a crash would do the industry some good. Burn it all down and start over.

Well, I'd like to think that the great games you find in the sea of shit would be even more special. So I don't know, either try games that you would never think of trying or play your favorites again to bat away the jadedness.

An overhaul would probably mean a video game crash and that's sort of a hassle. I mean, I'm up for it but maybe tomorrow.

I don't know, I mean, I think that there are a lot of different new directions that have been tested lately and although they're not groundbreaking...I think that there is hope.

I, for one, am very tired of people putting a different element into platforming and telling me I should be excited.

I don't know I think games are still good, sure the market is littered with MW clones but all media is at that state now IMO. Sure there's a lot of crap but if you do a little bit of wiping you can find some gold. For example the first Bioshock in my mind has been one of the best games to come out during the 2000 decade, that game's experience and story was original, amazing and incomparable. Games may have been more innovative back in the day because gaming was younger. Yes I will agree that the gaming industry got too commercial for it's own good (business-y I mean) but there's still a lot of good out there. Old school games will always hold a place in my heart but new games like Bioshock, Uncharted, Skyrim and Portal 2 still make gaming amazing

Whenever i get bored of modern games i tend to go back and play late 90s/early 00s games that i enjoy, like Freelancer.
Also, Minecraft.

FrozenBacon said:
Sounds like you just need to take a break from video games.

Either that or stop playing popular games & franchises.
GoG.com is jsut a click away :wink:

FrozenBacon said:
Sounds like you just need to take a break from video games.

Either that or stop playing popular games & franchises.
It's true. Pretty much all popular games, and all games that come with outstanding recommendations, are just plain boring and/or frustrating.

But I hope I'm still clearly stating my thoughts. All video games are boring. Sometimes there'll be something about them to keep me occupied with them, but it never lasts.

De-Ting said:
But I hope I'm still clearly stating my thoughts. All video games are boring. Sometimes there'll be something about them to keep me occupied with them, but it never lasts.

Can't the same be said about anything, really?

Green_Lantern said:
De-Ting said:

Can't the same be said about anything, really?
Whoa now GL. Let's not advocate suicide, here.

I'm in the same boat as you De-Ting, but I find my faith in video games by playing the older games. The ones I played as a kid or some that I may have overlooked.

Rare new games get my interest these days, but the ones that do has always been good.

But this really sounds like a gaming slump. I have them time to time. Only cure to it is to find a game that will re-ignite the spark again. Don't force yourself to play anything if you don't feel like it. The right game and mood will come in time... hopefully.

I am personally more excited about video games than I have been in 15 years. So can't say I'm aboard the same boat as you.

I think you're more than likely just growing out of them. I went through a phase where nothing ever excited me, I probably didn't finish a game for 10 years because I was just playing more so out of thinking I need to, than want to.

But the magic has come back at 27 for some reason.

I only play old school games these days. I find anything that's I'm excited for is a sequel to an existing franchise. It's hard to get into something new.

Here's the big problems. First of all, we've left the Golden Age of games. That really went from 1995 to 2005. That's when we had the biggest leaps forward in technology, gameplay, storytelling, etc. Since then, what big jumps forward have we had? Games have gotten prettier and smoother. That's about it.

But the real issue has to do with the publishers. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Bamco, etc. Games have become less about the game and more about the profit, something which has always been there but is just getting worse and worse. And since games have gotten ridiculously expensive to make, it means they've had to cut a lot of corners in order to make enough bank.

Games are being made shallower to appeal to more people. Yearly releases of half-assed games is more and more common, as are practices of nickel and diming through DLC and preorder bonuses. More and more games are being released half finished or severely underdeveloped.

There are some games that are still made well and actually have some love in them. But not that many.

Longo_2_guns said:
Here's the big problems. First of all, we've left the Golden Age of games. That really went from 1995 to 2005. That's when we had the biggest leaps forward in technology, gameplay, storytelling, etc. Since then, what big jumps forward have we had? Games have gotten prettier and smoother. That's about it.

But the real issue has to do with the publishers. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Bethesda, Bamco, etc. Games have become less about the game and more about the profit, something which has always been there but is just getting worse and worse. And since games have gotten ridiculously expensive to make, it means they've had to cut a lot of corners in order to make enough bank.

Games are being made shallower to appeal to more people. Yearly releases of half-assed games is more and more common, as are practices of nickel and diming through DLC and preorder bonuses. More and more games are being released half finished or severely underdeveloped.

There are some games that are still made well and actually have some love in them. But not that many.

That or you're growing out of them. Kids who are playing games at the age we were when it was the so called "golden age", definitely think these days are the golden age.

There is no answer for it, except you're a lot easier amused when you're younger, and therefore everything seems better and more exciting.

Normally agree with everything you say, but not this. Games are still great.

And exactly what innovations happened between 1995-2005 that can compare with 3D, Kinect, motion control period, the online community, achievements, ease of access, customization, etc. etc. etc. that we have today?

We're just older now, I know for a fact if I was 13 years old I wouldn't be able to post because I'd be nerd gasming over everything there is these days.

Talk to any body and everything was always better back then. For whatever warped reason, but it's just nostalgia, plain and simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod