GR Presents: Final Fantasy 7 Live Action Cast

UrbanMasque

Everyone Wears a Mask
Ok Guys,

We are all producers and we are assembling our team for the Live Action FFVII Film of the video game - that takes place in the same time frame as the video game.

580_final-fantasy-vii-200804300438567861.jpg

Brought to you by GR Forum Productions

I would like to have a serious brainstorm about who we would be able to hire for this production that would best compliment the film. Eventually we will work our way down the Character List, but we have to start with the very basics:

Who is going to direct it?

We start with casting one character at a time so it is easier to control who we are discussing and what the consensus is. We will operate with as much of a majority rules opinion as possible, and we will use only actors who are still living and who would be likely to take part in this at this point in their career. A-D listers. Please add any production people to this list below that you think I'm overlooking that should be added.

Director:
-James Cameron
james_cameron_7.jpg

ScreenWriter:
-Peter Jackson
-Fran Walsh
-Phillippa Boyens
-Alvin Sargent

tbd: Fight Choreographer, Bands featured to redo - Nubuo Uematsu original scores, and movie length

Once the Director is chosen, we have to decide which storyline we what to follow as a secondary arc (basically, after Cloud - who is the most important).

Cast:
Cloud:
Tom Felton
tom.jpg

Tifa:
Gina Carano
250-ginacarano-head_220504.jpg

Aerith:
Emily Browning
16.jpg

Sephiroth:
Michael Fassbender
okr4ba.jpg

Barrett:
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson
Quinton-Rampage-Jackson-006.jpg

Cid:
Kiefer Sutherland
203_kiefer_sutherlandlarge_image-1.jpg

Yuffie:
Ellen Wong
ellen_wong.jpg

Vincent:
Cillian Murphy
Pic_21.jpg

Rufus:
Timothy Olyphant
Tim-Olyphant-4.jpg

Reno:
James Franco
james_franco300.jpg

Rude:
Common
common-smokin-aces.jpg

Hojo:
George Takei
celebrity-apprentices-george-takei-gets-hired-by-ellen-degeneres.jpg

Tseng:
Donnie Yen
50333_26843438000_1807_n.jpg

Elena:
Brittany Daniel
brittany-daniel-picture-2.jpg

Marlene:
Abigail Breslin
40838_pro.jpg

My options for the director are

Zak Snyder
(if anyone is going to be capable of pulling off a live action of FF& it would probably be this guy).

James Cameron
(Because with him at the helm it you know the CGI and acting will blend seamlessly).

^I like it!

I would like to see what Tim Burton might do with it, but Christopher Nolan Def should be on the list.

Also, by deciding on the director first we're kind of downplaying the importance of the Actors - but I think the general vision of the film should be determined before we can start inserting people.

I would hire a screen writer first... My vote would be for the screenwriter for Spiderman movies... Alvin Sargent... was able to stick somewhat close to the source material and keep it from turning into a Uwe Boll-like production.. Granted Spidey 3 sucked but hey even Goyer wrote Blade Trinity

Well, I say get Fran Walsh, Phillipa Boyens and Peter Jackson to do the screen writing.

And hell, Jackson for director feels apt for making this too I feel!

Peter Jackson goes on the Directors list. Will be closing it tomorrow to to debate the choices. Add them now - Screenwriters added to crew list.

I have to say I like the writer/director combo.

The lovely bones was cool, didnt know she wrote it.

Well that's what the game is all about. Action, romance, death when you don't expect it. And he's great with the sort of mix of early tech and sci-fi, another big part of the game.

Most of the other guys would overdirect it. This is something that needs to be done properly, and most of the other directors are too over the top.

With the director it's important for the story of the movie follow as closely as the source material, correct?

I know Peter Jackson would probably cut events and characters if they're not important in the movie. John Woo might do a good job if you've seen Red Cliff and are familiar with the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story. James Cameron, I don't know if he likes video games. And I'm not familiar with the source material the other directors used.

So I'm leaning towards John Woo. He'll probably embellish some parts of the game but I think he'd probably be more faithful to the original source.

Ok so on the table -
Director:
-Zak Snyder
-John Woo
-James Cameron
-Christopher Nolan
-Peter Jackson
-Joss Whedon
-Edgar Wright

I agree that Mr. Woo is washed up. He is no longer in his hay day and probably out of tough with many of the mordern techniques used.

I Like James because he makes blockbusters, and does whatever t takes to ensure a movie is visually pleasing - Which this has to be!!

I would like this movie to concentrate more on the visuals and the action (fight scenes), romance should be a secondary arc - a very MINOR 2nd.

I think Cameron, and Nolan can pull this off.

My first choice is Snyder, because you know he's going to do some cool shit & I'm picturing a lot of "Sucker Punch" esq fight scenes. Basically he's really the only one on the list who has come close to doing "this style" of movie.

I'd agree with Snyder but I always feel he makes like 2 or 3 awful decisions along the way in creating great, fun, stupid movies. If we had someone on board to keep his shit in line I would be alright with him. Otherwise I would go with Cameron.

As much as I like Nolan, I don't think this is his movie.

Edgar Wright needs to be on the ballot. As much as I thought Scott Pilgrim was meh, it had great video game style and everybody else seemed to love it. And I do love pretty much every other thing he has been involved with.

Might I make some suggestions for a couple cast members?

Cloud - Andrew Garfield
tumblrlcra49j5r51qcff8v.png

His poofy hair could easily be died and shaped into Cloud's hair.

Tifa - Olivia Wilde
50759257.jpg

I know she's not the greatest actor. But she's got the look.

Bretimus_v2 said:
No, we're working on directors. Dammit, Wicked this is why I win On-Topic. BECAUSE I REEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD! Man!

Truth!

Edgar Wright!!! Yes, I will make the exception to have him added to the list. Scott Pilgrim was an AWESOME MOVIE!!

I think we can all agree that Mr. Woo's time has passed.

I guess it depends on the style we are going for. I'd like to see the movie go the way of Sucker Punch, but I can see that appeal for a Scott Pilgrim style. I'd prefer the more serious style of movie which Zak Snyder is more apt to do. If we chose Edgar Wright the basis of the film and how it looks drastically changes - as well as the actors in it! Also - are we making this for the true fans, or as producers, are we going for large scale appeal? And keep in mind that there will be a lot of people who are unfamiliar with the story if we go for mass appeal.

I hate to go the commercial route, but we need some ROI don't we?

I guess you can all see where I'm leaning, but make your cases before the Superbowl ends on Sunday, because the Studio is pressuring us for a decision by then so we can get the paperwork out and the contracts negotiated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod