GR Productions Present: Ocarina of Time [Malon]

UrbanMasque

Everyone Wears a Mask
Yup, Its that time again! We, the Board Members of the GR Production Company, have to decide what direction we would like to take our favorite game-to-film adaptions towards. In this instance, the next film on our list is Zelda!

oottplogof91c37fz3.jpg

Independent of casting, which we all have a say in - I wanted input for you guys before the director, studio, and cast is chosen - to first chose which story we will tell. There are many ways to tell this story and as someone who only knows about it through reviews and peers (never having played it first hand) Its a bit confusing. The general story I get, but if I was going to explain Zelda to another adult [sub plot wise], I'd be lost. So here is my question:
Are we starting with the Legend of Zelda or are we going George Lukas and starting with Majora's Mask and will assume that most people who want to view the film will have some base knowledge as to its events? You tell me. Which film are we making GR? As usual, I'd like to make a live action version of this, but I'm open to any and all suggestions [b/c VO's by themselves make for a boring Thread].

My two cents - I say we start from the beginning.. More of an opportunity to bleed the series dry over a period of 15 year movies. :twisted:

[slient hill will be next don't worry]

Produced by: Warner Bros.
warner-bros-issues-statement-on-dark-knight-theater-shooting-44f5c73d59.jpg

Directed by: Guillermo Del Toro
guillermo_del_toro_strain.jpg

Link - Lucas Till
fotos-de-lucas-till.jpg
1938.jpg

Young Zelda - Elle Fanning
elle_fanning_with_a_blue_scarf-375.jpg
young_princess_zelda_by_reevolver-d3bdn5s.jpg

Navi - Voice - Dakota Fanning
dakota-fanning-300.jpg
Navi_Artwork.png

Gannondorf - Ron Perlman
ron_perlman.jpg
ganondorf_by_theminttu-d5fwoo8.jpg

Nabooru - Nazanin Boniadi
600full-nazanin-boniadi.jpg
Nabooru_of_the_desert_by_Eroticatyphon.jpg

Impa - Uma Thurman
uma-thurman-smash.jpg
Impa_Icon.png

Princess Ruto - Abigail Breslin
600full-abigail-breslin.jpg
princess_ruto_by_maniacpaint-d5im89q.jpg

Darunia - Warren Reid
zbg3.png
darunia.jpg

Saria - Bonnie Wright
13141-actress-bonnie-wright-attends-amfar-s-592x0-1.jpg
tumblr_mhinl39y3f1qm85c3o1_500.png

Rauru - Christopher Lee
15.jpg
Rauru.png

Mido - Michael Cera
1273807-michael_cera.jpg
tumblr_mgjvf2QoOf1rtin17o1_500.jpg

The Great Deku Tree - James Earl Jones
James_Earl_Jones.jpg
great_deku_tree_by_thejfp-d3cbuqj.jpg

King Zora - Voice - Joe Pasquale
resized_Joe_Pasquale_Brochur86B63F.jpg
316568-oot_kingzora.gif

Next Up: Malon -
9027401_orig.jpg

Candidates:

I'm just waiting to see which actor Longo will choose this time around.

My money's on Russell Crowe.

OK - Seriously, I think Ocarina of Time...it's the best known one and probably has the best plot whilst being the easiest to understand.
Also has the graphics where we can just about cast people to the faces.

LOL I always thought it was retarded how the original 8 bit zelda games were at the end of the story. What a convoluted mess it is trying to connect this series.

I agree with Matt, Ocarina of Time makes the most sense. I mean most people call Link Zelda, but it's the highest rated game of the franchise, and to some the highest rated game of all time.

I still say that ocarina of time is timeless only to the fans while Windwaker is timeless to everyone else. That and the plot is actually more audience friendly (no time traveling). Each island could easily be a different set and the characters are more well rounded, identifiable and reliable to the audience.

Also, don't forget that while it's true ocarina of time starts off in that forest village, in Windwaker, the first town you start in sets up how the world works, the lore and the different type of people you can encounter (like the bird people).

...And darn it! the idea of making a ocarina of time film/remake/fanfilm/retelling/cartoon/opera/whatever has been proposed to the freakin' ground so many times that it reach the other side of earth already! Let's give another zelda game a chance... or better yet make our own script.

IF you start with Ocarina of Time, it will be the most recognizable as a story.

It is also the easiest story to tell, and if were really going to start a series based on Zelda, it is the best jumping off point because we then have 3 diverging points to choose from. Skyward Sword, Minish Cap and so forth will be difficult to portray on screen.

Lien said:
I still say that ocarina of time is timeless only to the fans while Windwaker is timeless to everyone else. .

So who is our audience? We cash grabbing or we making this thing as pure as we can? It sounds like we're leaning towards Ocarina.

If ya gonna cater to just the fan, expect a scott pilgrim syndrom here. A one hit wonder, no sequel of any sort planned for the next decade or two.

If ya gonna do this, think it's still a good idea to make it Ocarina of time?

Might I suggest Skyward Sword?

Not just because it's the first game in the time-line but because the game focuses on Zelda right from the start. In other games, it begins with Link and his life-long female friend, but in Skyward Sword, Zelda is that friend. She feels closer to Link than in any other game and the story tells a perfect relationship between the two.

Official GR Productions Press Release:

"Someone has to take a stance against the money flooding the industry and put their foot down against spamming out cash grab flix! We at GR like to raise the bar and make films for the game enthusiast. If you feel as though you missed key plot points in our films, maybe you weren't paying attention or aren't as big a fanboy as you proclaim to be. We will not tow to the teenie boppers! Which is why we are announcing the Pre-Production Status of the launch of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time"

oottplogof91c37fz3.jpg

Next Up: Storyline & Important Characters

You're call
*Who is an absolute necessity to the story we are trying to tell?
*Who will be important the sub plot characters?
*Is there anything we want to emphasize?
*We want story, but how much of the film will we want people to marvel at the action/graphics and layout of the land?

***Most importantly - Our first big decision - Who should handle altering the Score and adapting it w/ a more modern feel? [Youtube links welcomed]

Wes said:

UrbanMasque said:

Well ok then. But how the hell are you going to fit Ocarina of Time into a 2-3 hour movie? You could fill the first two hours just with Child Link's journey. If you want to do the game justice it would have to be done as a trilogy like Lord of the Rings.

*Push the paper sheet off the table and waves his hands in the air as he walks out the door*
Welp! I'm off!

See y'all at the silent hill meeting where i'm sure everyone will vote for the silent hill 3 instead of 2. I'm gonna play windwaker and twilight princess till this wreck is over. Heck even wes had a point with skyward sword.

Wes said:
Wes said:

UrbanMasque said:

Well ok then. But how the hell are you going to fit Ocarina of Time into a 2-3 hour movie? You could fill the first two hours just with Child Link's journey. If you want to do the game justice it would have to be done as a trilogy like Lord of the Rings.

I...agree.

It really is the only way to do it

First movie is all Child Link up to the Temple of Time, which makes sense. Second movie could be Child Link and Adult Link, maybe doing the Forest temple as the climax against Shadow Ganon.

Third movie, we open in the Water Temple (yeah we lose Fire Temple sadly) and the Morpha Fight, and show off Link's progress, then go to Gerudo Valley then finally face off Ganon for the final battle.

*Who is an absolute necessity to the story we are trying to tell?

Link, Zelda/Sheik, Gannondorf, Navi, Saria, The Sages, Epona, The Deku Tree, Phantom Ganon

*Who will be important the sub plot characters?

*Is there anything we want to emphasize?

We need to emphasize the growth of the character. This is a classic heroe's journey, the hero needs to go on that journey and become more capable and seasoned as we go.

As an example, I always saw Link's fear of Gannondorf in the chase scene to be overcome against his battle with Phantom Ganon in the Forest Temple. That shows growth of the character of Link without the need for words, only atmosphere and action.

That should be the movies focus, and we can't turn Zelda into a wallflower either. I don't mean she should fight or anything (although her fighting as Sheik for example would be a cool extra) but show strength in her position knowing what is ahead. The garden scene with child Link is important in that way, as is Link's interactions with her as Sheik.

*We want story, but how much of the film will we want people to marvel at the action/graphics and layout of the land?

We need some cover shots of the land for sure, establishment shots that show the gravity of Hyrule and the world. I would suggest we focus more on the story though, the action can come at its normal intervals in the dungeons.

Wes said:
Wes said:

UrbanMasque said:

Sorry bro - Totally didn't say no, but in the interest of moving the thread and no more incoming comments (i was writing my post while you were writing yours judging by the timestamp) I saw the majority of votes went to OoT.

I think Link is on to something with emphasizing the character growth and using 3 films to do so, but then maybe this isn't a film. Perhaps it would fit best as our first hour long episodic broken down into a 9+ episode season - which wouldn't necessarily force us to lose anything in the story, but it would change which studios we work with to bring it to life and what network shows it.

Does anyone else have any characters/sub characters to add? I stress sub characters now since it seems like it would be more fitting for an episodic, because then people would get attached to these cameos and it gives us more liberties in casting.

Does a TV series seem like a better fit or are we sticking with the Film version of OoT (which will have to be renamed but understood as the OoT saga).

Oh yea, I nominate this kid to do our soundtrack - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixuxxjQSXZQ

Movies man, movies!

As for characters we'll need Link, Zelda, Gannondorf, all the sages, Epona, The Deku Tree, that dipshit Mido, the farmers who look like Mario and Luigi with the daughter who grows up into a hottie, that fatass Zora King, oh and the owl, gotta have that stupid owl.

tumblr_m927wrG9lP1rzjb4go1_500.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod