Games that didn't age well

A lot of stuff on the 64 hasn't aged well simply because controls have seemingly improved 10 fold in the time.

I'm wondering if Jet Force Gemini holds up right now.

I have to agree that most of the N64 catalog didn't age well. There were some games I loved at the time that I wouldn't play now (Beatle Adventure Racing...) and for the most part the N64 catalog is why I haven't bought a 3DS (I keep my games ever since as a child I traded in Clay Fighter for Gex when I got a PS1) I don't need to buy the same games again.

Most stuff doesn't "age well" in the minds of the current gaming audience. I recently dl'd Metal Slug X for the PSN. I loved the old Metal Slug arcade cabinet at the local movie theater, but caught myself complaining about the PS1 load times. The games great, but to me the major flaw was hardware limitations of the time.

I will always love Life Force for the NES (as I didn't get it until the early 2000's). With that said basic bullet hell shooters have not aged well (although Life Force at least had top down and side scrolling elements).

For me it'd be easier to list what I do or would still play than what hasn't aged well. I have to echo an above poster with the Tomba sentiment. With all these HD collections coming out lately I specifically thought of a Tomba Collection.

I've been playing my N64 again for the past 6 months, and there's a local store specializing in classic games and I'll go and test n64 games before I buy.

Jet force Gemini - sucks
Southpark - sucks
Star Wars: Shadow of the empire - sucks

Star Wars Ep 1 pod racer? FUXIN AWESOME!!!!!
plus it has the most advanced physics of any other n64 game i know.

danielrbischoff said:
Oh man has Shadows of the Empire aged horribly.... I mean, it aged horribly just months after release!

I've only ever played it on PC. I have fond memories. Pod Racer is definitely an awesome game though.

Haha @ daniel

I got rogue squandron too, and it's kinda fun.

However, I have most of the N64 basics:
Smash
Mariokart
Mario Party
Pod racer
zelda: ocarina
madden 2002
NBA Live 2001
Pac man collection :D

When I first got my PS2, back in the day, the only game I had was Kingdom Hearts. I loved and played the hell out of that game, completing it at least 3 times. I recently got given a PS2 by a mate who was gonna throw hers away, so I went out and bought loads of cheap PS2 games, Kingdom Hearts included. I don't know whether I had built it up in my head too much before playing it again but when I did, I found it shallow, easy and pretty much boring. Killzone as well, I played that too much when I was like 11 or 12, now it just feels sluggish and clunky with nasty textures to boot.

Admittedly, the KH series is shallow and easy. But they were fun, and it was cool to see a Disney product actually implemented into something besides a horrible IP shovelware.

Don't get me wrong, I loved that game and must have put hundreds of hours of playtime into it, so it must of been doing something right. All I know is that after years of absence, for me personally, it didn't have the same hold as it used to. But you're bang on the money about licensing. As someone who's worked in the film industry, as far as generating money to support the film making process goes, from what I can see one of the most untapped, or at least underappreciated methods is video games.

danielrbischoff said:
A lot of stuff on the 64 hasn't aged well simply because controls have seemingly improved 10 fold in the time.

I'm wondering if Jet Force Gemini holds up right now.

Fuck no.

Hard to say. Whenever I play a game I know is older, I always temper my expectations appropriately.

Like, old RPGs (FF6, FF7, CT) are among my favorite games even though I played them when they were fairly old already, because IMO those games don't age at all by the nature of the way you play them. I played FF7 first when it was already 7-8 years old, and I can still play it today and consider it my favorite game of all time.

I don't have, say, SMB3 in my top 100, but I really didn't expect to because it's an older game with limited gameplay, and I thought it was perfectly fine for what it was. Same for Goldeneye.

I guess...Crash Bandicoot 1 on the PS1 because no joystick controls piss me off. Goldeneye is definitely a flawed game by today's standards but I still thought it was good playing it years later.

RE1 aged but I still really appreciated some of the things it did, even today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod