Games that haven't aged well.

WickedLiquid

Regular
You remember that game that was such an incredible experience? And then when you load it up to replay it for the nostalgia you realize it hasn't aged well at all.

For instance I've been getting back into my PS2 games since it's hooked up to my TV right next to the PS3. I tried playing Grand Theft Auto San Andreas and man that game has not aged well.

San Andreas was at one point considered the best game of all time or at least the best game of that generation but now it just feels so bland and dull. I suppose the vast improvements made in GTA V is a reason for this but it still doesn't hit you until you see or play SA because I just remember it being an amazing game all those years ago.

Although one thing I give credit to San Andreas is it still tells a better story than GTA V and the dialogue is way better. Franklin says the F word or the N word so many times and it just feels like it's cause Rockstsr can. Whereas C.J. and his homies actually have a sense of vocabulary and use it sparingly. Or maybe that's just me getting old.

Anyway what game did you used to love but unfortunately has not aged as well as other games?

Not only does Goldeneye look extremely dated but only using one analog stick makes it almost impossible to play. But of course the idea of an analog stick back then was revolutionary and we wouldn't have the dual analog precision movement we have today.

We salute you N64, even though whoever designed your controller was clearly smoking crack.

I do wonder how the fuck I even played Goldeneye after revisiting it a few months back.

I do remember the N64 analog stick digging into my bloody thumb as well! Playing Banjo-Kazooie, where you constantly push the stick forward certainly bronzed the front of my thumb with that jagged fucking stick.

Games that havent aged well? Ermmm, not sure. I've played OoT fairly recently and that wasnt too bad.

GoldenEye is on that list for sure.

The first Splinter Cell released in 2002. It looks... okay nowadays, I guess, but compared to say, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, the difference is huge.

Any GTA before 4 in my eyes is starting to look a bit boxy, but the new ones make you realize how much Rockstar stepped their shit up..
hqdefault.jpg

Command and Conquer also makes my eyes hurt.

red_alert_fighting.jpg

I thought the Windows version for C&C is fine for the most part.

Deus Ex:
245607-deus_ex__3__super.jpg

Story and gameplay still stands strong today but damn the graphics.

gamerevolution00 said:
How about Ragnarok 1?

I played it during my grade school days but still on the top of the MMO list :)

Bwaaaaa - that game is still pretty to look at..

wah? gamerevolution00?.. 2 posts.. .wait a minute..

futuramafry.jpg

The Legend of Zelda (the original). absolutely hated it playing it nowadays. How did anyone figure out how to beat that game? It fucking blows.

There are a few I can name.

Baldur's Gate comes to mind right off the bat, the engine, UI and controls have not aged well. Same most isometric RPGs back in the day.

Sonic Adventure is pretty rough around the edges now a days.

Final Fantasy VII, for a lot of reasons, most of them graphical and story-wise.

Pretty much anything from 1996-2001 with polygonal graphics tends to look rather weathered because of how we smoothed those out...remember when everything being blocky with colors was the pinnacle of gaming? Pepperidge Farm remembers....

That's all I got for now, i'm sure there is more I can think of later...

LinksOcarina said:

yea, those graphics do hurt a bit to look at now but you dont think the story has aged well?
Why

UrbanMasque said:
LinksOcarina said:

yea, those graphics do hurt a bit to look at now but you dont think the story has aged well?
Why

I always had issues with FF VII as a storyline, my problem is ive played a lot of RPG games with more involved stories, with tons of cliches, and it just pales in comparison to FF VII on the whole.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo