Who will win the World Cup

Who will win the World Cup 2006

• Italy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • France

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's about to go into PK's. I started watching when it went into overtime. I normally don't watch soccer, but after I saw Zidane headbutt that guy I think I'll start watching more. :)

Edit: Italy just won. A guy on France missed his PK by hitting it on the crossbar. heh.

Though I'm not much of a fan of either team, I vastly preferred Italy winning to France, and so I'm happy with this world cup. Italy's a good team and a good legacy of soccer, 4 championships is the second best in history.

Dave_Matthews said:
Though I'm not much of a fan of either team, I vastly preferred Italy winning to France, and so I'm happy with this world cup. Italy's a good team and a good legacy of soccer, 4 championships is the second best in history.
Good legacy? Clearly it's obvious you don't watch much soccer. I'm referring to the scandal currently in the Italian league, no disrespect to the italian players, great players and i'm sure they had nothing to do with it. But it's a disgrace what is happening in the italian league now.

Not really. No goal for like 70 minutes, ZIdane acting like a hooligan (and asshole he is, but also the best player since Van Basten or maybe Maradona) and it gets decided in penalties.

It was a weak overall cup, no defining moment, no amazing game, no dominating team or star, and Zidane tarnishing his legacy by fucking his team over in the final.

But it was still fun to watch, I'm just hoping for better come South Africa in 2010.

TheNesMan said:
Dave_Matthews said:
Good legacy? Clearly it's obvious you don't watch much soccer. I'm referring to the scandal currently in the Italian league, no disrespect to the italian players, great players and i'm sure they had nothing to do with it. But it's a disgrace what is happening in the italian league now.

I wasnt't referring to that. I was referring to Italy having a great history and tradition of soccer playing. They won the world cup in 34, 38, 82, and 06, four times, second only to Brazil. I wasn't specifically referring to this Italian team, just Italian football in general. There are roots there.

Edit: I'm also positive that I watch more football than you do, so there's no need to be patronizing.

He didn't fuck over his team. It was decided in penalties. The only player for france who missed was trez, which took off henry, so if zidane had taken a penalty instead of one of the other guys, it would of been irrelevant because they all scored anyways(zidane wouldn't of taken a penalty instead of trez).

edit- yeah i doubt that.

TheNesMan said:
He didn't **** over his team. It was decided in penalties. The only player for france who missed was trez, which took off henry, so if zidane had taken a penalty instead of one of the other guys, it would of been irrelevant because they all scored anyways(zidane wouldn't of taken a penalty instead of trez).

You dont think theres a psychological side effect to seeing your team captain thrown out of a game for acting like a hooligan? Please, every French player knew at that point that the dynamic had changed and Italy had the momentum and would win.

I doubt that. Only one player missed, and it wasn't a big miss either, off the underside of the bar. Personally, it would of motivated me to win it for zidane. Shame that he tarnished his reputation though.

I definitely think he lowered team morale a lot with getting thrown out of the game like that. And penalties are all psychological, if you're confident and ready, you're going to score them. It only takes one guy to get a little unhinged from what happened to Zidane in order to miss it or kick it sloppily.

And you never know what kind of chances France would have had if Zidane had played the last 10 minutes. He already had a near goal situation in the overtime. IMO, he deserves a lot of blame for what happened. If he had been still in the game, he could have breathed more confidence in the team and assured that none of them fuck up a very crucial penalty.

I don't think he's to blame, because honestly, without him being there for the entire world cup, how far do you think france would of got? Kind of funny how both goalkeepers proved utterly useless though, not saving a single PK(off the bar in my opinion doesn't count, buffon even went the wrong way).

I think he's to blame for the head butt very very much, but I'm not taking anything away talent wise from him. He was the best player in the world cup, but that doesnt mean he should abandon all ways of decency and especially his team.

All the penalties were kicked really well, save for Pirlo's first one for Italy, which was straight down the middle. Other than that, the penalties were great. A penalty should basically be a sure goal, it's only 11 meters away, and if you get it in the corner, it's literally impossible to save it. So I don't blame Buffon or Barthez, though the Italian goal in the 19th minute was at least halfway Fabian's fault..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod