What's So Great about GTA?

Whenever I go on video game websites, or read video game magazines, I always hear how the GTA series "changed the way we play games", or something of that variation. However, alot of thing that make GTA praised, has been seen in other games before (Has anybody not heard of Computer RPGs?). So anyway, can someone tell me what's so great about the GTA series?

THE MAPPING AND THE LANGUAGE!!!

...as a native new yorker the atmosphere is almost perfect...

i live in queens and i love driving around identifying landmarks.

It was really GTA3 that changed everything, there had been open world games before but this was in 3D, where you could use any car, kill anyone, and pick a mission and go. It opened up 3D gaming. Since then it's just been making it bigger and bigger, but it's going to be a long time until a game comes along that changes things as much as GTA3 did.

Rekkie7 said:
It was really GTA3 that changed everything, there had been open world games before but this was in 3D, where you could use any car, kill anyone, and pick a mission and go. It opened up 3D gaming. Since then it's just been making it bigger and bigger, but it's going to be a long time until a game comes along that changes things as much as GTA3 did.

You were able to do all of that in "Body Harvest", and it was in 3D.

You have a SHIT TON of other topics to read about "what makes GTA so great". Why did you feel the need to hit the New Topic button?

GTA is something you have to play to understand it. Once you start asking yourself what you CAN'T do in the game, than you will truy know why gta is one of the greatest series ever. You can keep throwing other games at us saying they did it before, but in the end of the day, Gta is the one that did it better. And really, why argue when you could go play it for yourself? You're losing nothing if you do.

StalfrosCC said:
You have a s*** TON of other topics to read about "what makes GTA so great". Why did you feel the need to hit the New Topic button?
because none of them directly ask the specific question.

madster111 said:
StalfrosCC said:
You have a s*** TON of other topics to read about "what makes GTA so great". Why did you feel the need to hit the New Topic button?
because none of them directly ask the specific question.

That doesn't mean they don't answer it, it's all a redundancy to post this topic. Some people like the violence, or the exploration, others the fun of unbridled fun, without consequences. You see it reflected in every post and every other topic about GTA. Its the same issues, the same ganeplay the same preferences that make it a popular game.
Its a hyp machine much like Halo, and Halo isn't that great anymore, its just great at what it has already done...

Anyway, i'll be honest with you - i didnt see much as great about GTA before this one. It was just mindless fun. What i'd say takes this game above a C grade is the moral quandary throughout - is niko a good guy? I mean, essentially you're playing a whole game from the perspective of what we as a society frown upon - criminality in many forms.

Drug dealer. Murderer. Aider and abettor. Thug. Thief.

How many people want these tags? Not as many as I bet enjoy taking niko bellic for a spin, and not as many who probably see him as just a guy trying to get by.

Lord_Fornelius said:
Rekkie7 said:

You were able to do all of that in "Body Harvest", and it was in 3D.
YA and its made by the SAME COMPANY IT was called DMA Designs then. And when GTA came out guess who made it DMA and Rockstar. They are the kings of open world games.[/i]
StalfrosCC said:
Why did you feel the need to post a reply? No one said you had to click in here, I mean we all know your so busy that you shouldnt even have to look at double topics. Fuckin D-bag

GTA is just a well done game. In all honesty, it's just a hybrid of every other game. There are elements of racing, shooters, adventures. GTA is just a series of games that we can all play. GR said they would only give an A+ to the perfect game; a game that cannot be improved. GTA has come up with that formula. They just need to perfect it, thats all.

sparky87 said:
StalfrosCC said:
Why did you feel the need to post a reply? No one said you had to click in here, I mean we all know your so busy that you shouldnt even have to look at double topics. Fuckin D-bag

You feel good now Sparky? Did that make you feel awesome? Did you get a little chubby after that? Good, glad I could help.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle