Should GR make some changes?

• NO! Change is scary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Silios

Rookie
Well most of you know who I am, and that I'm back. Just waiting on that email for my old account. I actually wanted to wait till I got my account back before I posted this, but I think this is more important.

The forum is dying. You can argue about this all you want, but back in 2003 there was an average of at least 30 users on at any given time. Regardless the forums were never big to begin with, the point remains that less and less people care about visiting the forums anymore. And it's not because GR is failing, in fact it's a pretty popular nonbiased gaming site.

So what am I proposing? General changes to this site that would increase inflow of forum users. Now you ask yourself, "why the hell do we want new people here when this is our private little island." Two reasons, new blood infuses new discussion, interesting ideas and topics, intellectual debate. Secondly, it increases this sites revenue from adds.

So what needs to be done? Here's a few ideas from different sites I frequent and belong to. For instance LL adopted a few wonderful features that made browsing easier and posting more interactive. Livelinks, basically instant update on the page when a new post is made. It creates a chatroom feel with more intelligent wording since nothing is rushed, but also removes the SMASH F5 FOR UPDATES bliss that is rather negative because it lies about the amount people who've actually seen your topic. Another feature is the ability to upload pictures to the network, this is extremely handy and saves time. This would take some coding, but I'm absolutely sure it's worth it. Here's why. Llamaguy started out the site completely closed, he then added a buy new account feature and charged 20 dollars for each account. Now he's charging 40 dollars per account. Now you may just say that's because all the pirated goodies, but a recent poll showed that the majority of users use the boards more than they use the links. The community is strong and while mostly consist of dribble posting, does have the occasional intellectual debate.

But the key to LL's success is its freedom. Now I'm not saying we should allow links to piracy, but merely stating that banning people over talking about piracy, discussing issues, offering advice, or plain out trolling should be tolerated for the sake of the community.

The more freedom you give the community, the more people from Gamefaqs you'll steal.

Let's discuss those nasty words. like the Fbomb. Let's be honest here, we're all adults and we don't need censorship. Sure you can be 13 and sign up, but maybe we should change that. The amount of real gamers are mostly over 18, I think they can handle a swear word. Plus who are we kidding when we say F***, we know the word. They're words, that's not to say to allow racism., but a word said in an intelligent fashion should not be censored.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be nice to have a "Serious Discussion" board? Instead of just misc. A place we can discuss the meaning of life, is there a god, and how my chances of scoring with Jessica Alba are. This would add balance, make misc more of a fun place to post things going on in our lives and SD a place for debate.

Finally, and most controversial is a NWS board. This will probably never be implemented, but it needs to be addressed. We're all adults here, and some really funny things can be adult oriented. I'm not talking about a smut board, but a place were we can post hilarious images, sexual mishap stories, and such that won't be appropriate for children. Again, I'm sure this isn't something the owners would want. But as I said before, we're all 20 somethings and I think we could handle it.

These changes would also need an increase in moderator and Admin support, which I believe we have enough long timers to support.

This sounds great! How can I help FBF

Well you can start by making interesting and good topics. Remember the brother Randy topic? These things bring out lurkers and make them want to post more. Try to make at least one very interesting topic a day, it will help these boards thrive.

As for me, I'm going to try to make one good topic in each board by this week.

Let's get out there and show people we're not GRandpas and GRannies.

tl;dr

Add your ideas.

You know a GR wiki would be cool. For adding historical events in GR's life, memorable users etc.

I'm just shooting ideas guys.

A wikia would be cool. But kind of pointless I think. The only use I could see it being used for is a library for all the manifestos and haikus ever written etc? But I like the idea if you can think of other stuff to put in there...
I like the idea of forum flash updates too. But we'd probably need more activity first before we address that.

NWS - I always back that shit up ;)

You know what I'd enjoy? Video reviews. And with that you can add Member video reviews.
And being an achievement whore myself, you could maybe add a section for tips/answers on how to grab game achievements....I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the best way to grab that hardcore difficulty achievement in Dead Space 2 is right? ;)

Got carried away a bit...forums right? Well they're my two pennies (or cents - whatever), I'll keep thinking about it as I go along.

Thanks Mattay, that's what this topic is about. Like I said this was the first website I came to as a kid, I'd like to see it grow into something more.

KoalaRainbowPoop said:
it'd be nice if they'd make those changes.... but crave man, ya know? f****** crave.....

GR is still under Crave? After the last batch of wonderful changes (back to black, yes!) I thought they were not under their oppressive leash any longer. :)

My ideas:

1. Forums need a bit of trimming

Gamerevolution suffers from an annoying problem that it (as it stands for now) does not have a lot of forum activity. I would like to see the forums become livelier, bursting with energy and excitement! Maybe it would help if you would fuse some of the forums together in order to make a bigger, bonker, busting, mega, super, ultra forum.
I would recommend fusing the Classical gaming forum and RPG forum with the General Gaming Topics forum. Cancel the News Forum altogether because the last post made there is from 2nd of April, you have the main page for that. Maybe even go further and fuse the whole Systems forums with the General Gaming Topics and give them subforums. Now you would have a lot of forum activity and be organized at the same time.

2. An original ‘piece’

I became aware of escapistmagazine.com due to Yahtzee and his Zero Punctuation reviews. Destructoid lured me into their site because of their cool little robot, without IGNs arrogance being constantly talked about on the internet I probably would have missed it too. I think I am not the only one. See where I am getting at? Every big gaming site has something that makes it unique.

If GR would have some sort of mascot, some sort of original ‘piece’ (it can be anything really) it could stand out more and lure potential users to this site. Maybe start a weekly comic about games with an original cast of characters (how original, har, har)? The art does not be of the highest quality, look at the Cyanide and Happiness comics (http://www.explosm.net/comics) the art is **** (probably deliberately) but the writing makes up for it (for the most part). I think you guys have the creative abilities to think of something up and use to help GR grow as a gaming site. Or offer blowjobs and pudding.â„¢

3. Write more!

If it were not for your reviews I would have been long gone from this site. The reviews, more specifically, the writing is top notch. It is objective, it is funny, not too long or too short --> perfect in my eyes. Why not use your writing skills more? Like the GR rant posts? You guys could talk about specific characters (like Links does --> they are awesome by the way), memories of playing videogames (Memory Card made on the Destructoid as an example), specific genres and their evolution, Easter Eggs in games, how gaming has changed, ‘pro’ gaming, merchandise (where did that lovable robot of yours go?)... anything. You got the talent, use it!

4. Use the point system

There is one thing I hate about nowadays achievements, Trophy systems. They award you points for no use except for dick waving. Why not award the users who put extra effort into getting some of the achievements, Trophies? Some of them are a real ***** to get (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS6I2GR8by8) and you get nothing special for doing them. In my opinion you should. Otherwise I do not feel special...

GR has a pointless point system. I have a GR Score of 740... yay? Why not reward active forums members who are writing constructive blogs, reviews, organize forum games with points and when they reach a specific set award them with gaming items you guys get? Posters, used games with your signatures on it, game OST’s, DLC codes, figurines...? How such a system would function I do not know yet but we could make it happen through meaningful dialog (threats) and constructive criticism (rants).

Even if you will not even consider anything I wrote about, do not worry you guys... I will still love you. With a broken heart, but still. You are too awesome to hate.

<3, Kijan

(taken from one of my blogs --> nr. 1 has already been adressed, yay! :D

I think fundamentally the site lacks traffic. There are 1001 other game sites out there that get regular hits. Out of those hits only a handful will visit the forums. Why would anyone want to join these forums when there are tons out there that have a hell of a lot more discussion and members?

But how do we get more traffic to the site? well if we all knew that we'd be all rich. In saying that though i think kijan is spot on with suggestion 2.

Kijan said:

2. An original ‘piece’

3. Write more!

4. Use the point system
So yeah, the forums need trimming, I just don't know where to do that? Filter Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony into one "Consoles" forum? (there are so many multi-plat games nowadays) Leave PC? Add "Indie" to the Classic forum? Where do we make these cuts? Also I'd like to see threads for games solidified into "The Official Battlefield 3 thread" or... you know.

An original "piece" huh? Hmmmmm already bouncing ideas around on that so stay tuned.

Write more! We've greatly expanded our news coverage but i agree and i'm trying to keep some of our regular features on a steady schedule... also maybe some more features? I've been pitching topics to some of our freelancers to get more features on the page.

Finally, the point system... yeah you really should stay tuned :)

FBF said:
basically instant update on the page when a new post is made.

Another feature is the ability to upload pictures to the network, this is extremely handy and saves time.

freedom.

Speaking of which, wouldn't it be nice to have a "Serious Discussion" board?

Finally, and most controversial is a NWS board.
The instant update and upload pictures (and posting flash like youtube) are both under serious discussion and have made it to the right people.

Serious Discussion could be added tomorrow if people wanted it

NWS is a bit harder of a sell but we can debate that.

Finally freedom, so you all want to be able to say fuck? OK, i use it in my posts. GR isn't exactly the little kids gaming website so i don't know, i'll revisit our filters. filters for terms for homosexuals and the like will not be removed.

danielrbischoff said:
Kijan said:

2. An original ‘piece’

3. Write more!

4. Use the point system
So yeah, the forums need trimming, I just don't know where to do that? Filter Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony into one "Consoles" forum? (there are so many multi-plat games nowadays) Leave PC? Add "Indie" to the Classic forum? Where do we make these cuts? Also I'd like to see threads for games solidified into "The Official Battlefield 3 thread" or... you know.

An original "piece" huh? Hmmmmm already bouncing ideas around on that so stay tuned.

Write more! We've greatly expanded our news coverage but i agree and i'm trying to keep some of our regular features on a steady schedule... also maybe some more features? I've been pitching topics to some of our freelancers to get more features on the page.

I was in the middle of posting The Official BF3 and the The Official Starhawk thread.
I'll wait.

TheJx4 said:
danielrbischoff said:
Kijan said:

2. An original ‘piece’

3. Write more!

4. Use the point system

I was in the middle of posting The Official BF3 and the The Official Starhawk thread.
I'll wait.
No please do. Then I'll lock other BF 3 and Starhawk posts.
Please make sure you put BF 3 in General though as it is a multiplat game.

We used to do it that way more often. I'll edit my X-Men and Arkham topics to Offucial status.

Also, I was going to do an AC: Revelations and Human Revolution thread, but I'm not even up-to-date on those games.

So maybe someone could give them a shot?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle